Skip to main content

@bman posted:

My cousin is Wayne Carleton, who won a Stanley Cup with the Bruins. He was on the ice when Bobby Orr scored that iconic overtime Cup winning goal against the Blues. Wayne was the first teammate to reach him and start celebrating.

Growing up in Windsor we got tickets behind their bench every time Wayne and the Bruins played in Detroit.  We'd meet him outside the dressing room and take him out for pizza after the games and I got to meet Our Esposito, Cheevers Sanderson etc. Made me a fan for life!

@g-man posted:

i still find it amusing that the older generation can only think in binary.

you're either right or wrong, left or right, yes or no.

When in reality there are certainly things like magnitude, variation and subtlety to consider.

Hey, G-Man:  There are two kinds of people in the world.  The people who divide things into two groups, and the others.

Let me tell you this, if you kill William Shatner you can pretty much close up shop.

I have always loved the thought of space travel but I have to tell you even at my age I don't think I would do this. I probably wind up vomiting around the whole capsule. If he pulls this off he will probably have the record of the oldest man outer space for some time. And he's Jewish!

From the LA Times without comment, "California became the first state in the nation Saturday to adopt a law requiring large retail stores to provide gender neutral toy sections under a bill signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

"The new law, which takes effect in 2024, says that retail stores with 500 or more employees must sell some toys and childcare products outside of areas specifically labeled by gender. Retailers can continue to offer other toys and childcare goods in traditional boys and girls sections if they choose to."

@The Old Man posted:

From the LA Times without comment, "California became the first state in the nation Saturday to adopt a law requiring large retail stores to provide gender neutral toy sections under a bill signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

"The new law, which takes effect in 2024, says that retail stores with 500 or more employees must sell some toys and childcare products outside of areas specifically labeled by gender. Retailers can continue to offer other toys and childcare goods in traditional boys and girls sections if they choose to."

Seems like they're wading into a very sticky, legal quagmire. Who becomes the arbiter of what is a gender-neutral toy? How do they decide what is a girl's toy, and what is a boy's, without revealing their own gender biases? They're never going to be able to please everyone, especially in California.

Last edited by mneeley490
@mneeley490 posted:

Seems like they're wading into a very sticky, legal quagmire. Who becomes the arbiter of what is a gender-neutral toy? How do they decide what is a girl's toy, and what is a boy's, without revealing their own gender biases? They're never going to be able to please everyone, especially in California.

The companies themselves do.  They can label a doll a boys toy or just label it gender neutral and be compliant w the rule

@The Old Man posted:

Why would the manufacturers bother? Let the problem rest with the retailer would be their thinking. Especially when it's the law and only one state, regardless of how large that state is, is enforcing it.

That is true, i'd imagine a portion of it would be the manufacturer themselves as part of the marketing, making the retail section easier, i'm sure from thet retailers perspective, the'd just get rid of the categories all together and just lump them all in the same aisle.

TOM - Besides the gender neutral toy sections, Newsom and our 'progressive' legislature also signed into law banning all gas-powered lawn equipment, effective in 2024. Besides lawn mowers and leaf blowers, the ban also includes gas powered generators. In cases of electrical failure, which happens quite frequently here in NoCA, generators have actually saved lives during those outages. Newsom and his Dem cronies continually pass useless laws instead of laws that would lower CA's notorious high cost of gas, electricity, homes, income tax, and cost of living. They might also try to keep companies like Oracle, HP, and Tesla from bolting the state insread of pushing them and thousands of others out.

TOM - Besides the gender neutral toy sections, Newsom and our 'progressive' legislature also signed into law banning all gas-powered lawn equipment, effective in 2024. Besides lawn mowers and leaf blowers, the ban also includes gas powered generators. In cases of electrical failure, which happens quite frequently here in NoCA, generators have actually saved lives during those outages. Newsom and his Dem cronies continually pass useless laws instead of laws that would lower CA's notorious high cost of gas, electricity, homes, income tax, and cost of living. They might also try to keep companies like Oracle, HP, and Tesla from bolting the state insread of pushing them and thousands of others out.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca...l_id=202120220AB1346

The law just states if it can be replaced by 0 emission alternatives, which, with electrical lawn care, do exist.

I dont see a 0 emission alternative to a portable generator

@The Old Man posted:

How long ago did you start feeling this way? Plenty of time to move to a great state like Florida, Texas or Alabama.

You are a curmudgeon...why can't you take Arsenal's point of view and appreciate it for what it is.   Everyone knows that CA has gone to hell.  I used to vacation in SF almost every year...now I don't even bother.  It is garbage compared to what is once was.  It is a shame that the elected politicians have utterly ruined that state  (which once was the greatest in the nation).  So much natural beauty and gorgeous weather, reduced to a trash pile of over taxation, lawlessness and a giant tent city for the homeless.  Enjoy it and keep pretending that everything is perfect.   Gender neutral toys...Ok.  The rest of the World is laughing at our stupidity.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.