Skip to main content

@csm posted:

And seriously what's hateful about it?  I really dislike

just curious how you distinguish between really dislike and the word hateful.

But I feel you're taking "political" talking points way too much to heart instead of looking at the real issues at hand, and that's alot of these public unions are getting paid way too much money to do things like form a board on renaming schools instead of, you know, teaching our kids.  Or how other unions spend way too much time talking about protecting the public, instead of actually protecting the public.

Anyhow, "you do you" but it doesn't make the wine in the glass taste sweeter by hating on things.

Hate is stronger than really dislike. I usually reserve that for people I’ve actually met.  I have a hard time saying I hate someone that I don’t know (Trudeau family is an exception).  Slight distinction perhaps but I think it exists.

And, for the record, I also called (well implied really as I didn’t state it explicitly) Trump a more ripe piece of garbage than Biden. It’s something I think but I wonder whether that also is hateful? Or is it not to those making the accusation because they agree with that assessment of DJT?  Curious.

Agree with your comment re unions and use of public funds.  The fact that anyone is investing resources in nonsense such as things of this nature is sad at best.  And I’ll continue doing me thank you. No one’s better at it than I.

@csm posted:

And, for the record, I also called (well implied really as I didn’t state it explicitly) Trump a more ripe piece of garbage than Biden. It’s something I think but I wonder whether that also is hateful?

It's sickening to compare a man of honor (who has his flaws) to a racist, bigoted, sexist, know-nothing grifter. Put I guess you call them as you see them, as obviously flawed as that observation is.

@wine+art posted:

Indeed. I saw the attorney for Palm Beach on TV this morning. He has been directed to be prepared to enforce all policies Dump agreed to when the property was converted to a private club. He also said the helipad would be removed on January 20th and all provisions allowed for Secret Service personnel, vehicles et al wouldn’t be allowed after the 20th and permits will be pulled.

I'm sure Trump could stay as a squatter while his attorneys drag it out for a few years.

@bman posted:

Apparently he owns three other homes there.

he technically owns 0 homes there because he claims th em all as private clubs, to deduct expenses on any repairs / maintanence he does on them.

be interesting how he argues his state taxes in NY court when they claim he fails the teddy bear test since you can't list mar-a-lago as a primary residence

@g-man posted:

he technically owns 0 homes there because he claims th em all as private clubs, to deduct expenses on any repairs / maintanence he does on them.

be interesting how he argues his state taxes in NY court when they claim he fails the teddy bear test since you can't list mar-a-lago as a primary residence

Interesting.  I read that they were long-term rental properties.  I'm sure that whatever they are, he would consider himself too wonderful to live in them himself.  Perhaps he'll buy Bord-O's house!!

@bman posted:

Interesting.  I read that they were long-term rental properties.  I'm sure that whatever they are, he would consider himself too wonderful to live in them himself.  Perhaps he'll buy Bord-O's house!!

I would hope that with a few years in jail, the Palm Beach house would be empty.    Would be nice to see a wide red tie on an orange jump suit.

@The Old Man posted:

Trump's Christmas Eve message, "I saved at least 8 Republican Senators, including Mitch, from losing in the last Rigged (for President) Election. Now they (almost all) sit back and watch me fight against a crooked and vicious foe, the Radical Left Democrats. I will NEVER FORGET!"

What a sicko.

It really is funny to watch this despicable f~£k being humiliated as the world watches and claps.

The courts have summarily dismissed his laughable lies, his own judges have unanimously giving him their middle finger, his self appointed AG and others tell the world in press conferences his is full of shit all while his grift continues to take money from Napa and his ilk.

The poor little emperor has no clothes yet he insists on having the world watch and laugh at his temper tantrums.

A landslide loss and an unimaginable popular vote loss of over 7 million all while his party gained seats throughout America. Fired!

@wine+art posted:

It really is funny to watch this despicable f~£k being humiliated as the world watches and claps.

The courts have summarily dismissed his laughable lies, his own judges have unanimously giving him their middle finger, his self appointed AG and others tell the world in press conferences his is full of shit all while his grift continues to take money from Napa and his ilk.

The poor little emperor has no clothes yet he insists on having the world watch and laugh at his temper tantrums.

A landslide loss and an unimaginable popular vote loss of over 7 million all while his party gained seats throughout America. Fired!

God you are a fat, annoying, bald fuck.  Why keep injecting me into your posts.  If you want to write...write all you want. Your summations are downright foolish.  I’ve never given a penny to a political party.  Never will.

Merry Christmas

@napacat posted:

God you are a fat, annoying, bald fuck.  Why keep injecting me into your posts.  If you want to write...write all you want. Your summations are downright foolish.  I’ve never given a penny to a political party.  Never will.

Merry Christmas

Look what crawled out from under his Trump rock. You still flying your four more years BS you were selling? 🤣.  Oops!

I have no doubt you are very proud of your boy and his behavior since his ass kicking by Biden. Keep sending him your measly dollars for his defense fund!

@bman posted:

Your post said "San Francisco to remove Lincoln's name from elementary school". How is that different from saying that span Francisco will remove his name?

Also, I never said it makes sense. Of course it doesn't. But I doubt it will happen. Even if your post said otherwise!  ;-).

Here is something that really annoys me.

It seems a lot of sane, decent, small "l" liberal people have a really tough time criticizing -- or accepting criticism -- of goings on the the cultural far left; as if to do so would somehow undermine the premise (fact) that Trump is beyond contempt and that the national Republican Party has turned autocratic, anti-fact, anti-American, racist, nativist, anti-science, pro-death, and anti small "d" democratic.  All of which is demonstrably true.

The rejection of the criticism of the cultural far left by sane people rarely manifests itself as embracing the lunacy, but instead as belittling those who bring it up, denying it exists, or pointing out how astronomically worse the other side is.  (The last point of which, again, is obviously true.)

If I had to bet, I'd say SF is going to rename the school.  But, who knows, and it is incidental to my concern here.  Earlier this year the friggin Smithsonian came out with a list of things that are part of "white culture" that sustain "white supremacy" including: "rational linear thinking", "cause and effect relationships", "work before play", "planning for the future", "progress is best", and the list goes on.  The list was removed less than 48 hours later after public outcry over objectively good things being ascribed exclusively to white culture.  The initial CDC vaccination suggested guidelines had 87 million non healthcare essential workers (not just frontline essential workers) plus younger people with comorbidities suggested to get vaccinated before the elderly and assumed it would lead to 0.5% to 6.5% increased overall death rate but believed this was justified because more elderly are white so it would even the playing field.  (Yes, this really happened.)  Again, after two days of public outcry, the suggestions were revised to be sane.  The point of all of this is that cultural far-left groupthink and ideological capture is a real phenomenon.  And one I am increasingly concerned with.  The bajillion times worse that Trumpists are is true, but not everything can be about that and one way to get people to turn away from sanity is to tell them that the real things they are observing don't count or are just figments of their own imagination.

It can all be true.  Just because the biggest medical problem -- by an extraordinary, stupendous amount -- facing us today is COVID-19, that doesn't mean we don't need to be aware of murder hornets and "Super Gonorrhea" ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/b...rus/?sh=1ca8bd3b75ba ).  So, too, must sane people be conscious of our political problems coming from all directions, even if one direction is obviously, by oceans, the biggest problem we face in the immediate future.  (And by showing awareness of all legitimate problems, we might even be able to dampen the Trumpist threat.)

Last edited by winetarelli

Well, down here in Florida, our Republican Governor decided that the next in line for the Covid vaccines are adults 65 and older, and NOT essential workers.  His rationale being that he'd rather give the vaccine to a 75 year old than a 25 year old first, since the 75 year old is higher risk.

Or, if you want to be cynical: 65+ voters are more likely to support him than 25 year old voters...

@Rothko posted:

Well, down here in Florida, our Republican Governor decided that the next in line for the Covid vaccines are adults 65 and older, and NOT essential workers.  His rationale being that he'd rather give the vaccine to a 75 year old than a 25 year old first, since the 75 year old is higher risk.

Or, if you want to be cynical: 65+ voters are more likely to support him than 25 year old voters...

Yep.  The revised CDC guidelines are perfectly sane and more-or-less what I would do:

1a. Frontline healthcare workers (and, I think, nursing homes)

1b. Frontline essential workers.  (Police, firefighters, pharmacy workers, etc) and people over 75

1c. People with co-morbidities and people over 65

I get giving it to older first (after frontline healthcare workers).  That is actually the way many countries are going to go about doing it, at least with the very old populations (dunno about 65).  But I absolutely agree with your cynicism regarding his reasons.

Last edited by winetarelli
@winetarelli posted:

Here is something that really annoys me.

It seems a lot of sane, decent, small "l" liberal people have a really tough time criticizing -- or accepting criticism -- of goings on the the cultural far left; as if to do so would somehow undermine the premise (fact) that Trump is beyond contempt and that the national Republican Party has turned autocratic, anti-fact, anti-American, racist, nativist, anti-science, pro-death, and anti small "d" democratic.  All of which is demonstrably true.

Earlier this year the friggin Smithsonian came out with a list of things that are part of "white culture" that sustain "white supremacy" including: "rational linear thinking", "cause and effect relationships", "work before play", "planning for the future", "progress is best", and the list goes on.  The list was removed less than 48 hours later after public outcry over objectively good things being ascribed exclusively to white culture.  

Here is a link to the actual information sheet: Aspects and assumptions of whiteness and white culture in the United States

First I see no mention of "white supremacy" and second, weirdly enough it's pretty accurate. A lot of it does reflect exactly the beliefs of the pre-dominant white culture and history. Much of it is good, ie the scientific method and some of it stinks (such as Christianity is the norm), but it does seem like an accurate list. Of course the wisdom of producing it was never considered.

@The Old Man posted:

Here is a link to the actual information sheet: Aspects and assumptions of whiteness and white culture in the United States

First I see no mention of "white supremacy" and second, weirdly enough it's pretty accurate. A lot of it does reflect exactly the beliefs of the pre-dominant white culture and history. Much of it is good, ie the scientific method and some of it stinks (such as Christianity is the norm), but it does seem like an accurate list. Of course the wisdom of producing it was never considered.

Obviously, "Christianity is the norm" is "white culture" - ish.  The same could be said of emphasis on Greek and Roman history.

The conversation surrounding it had been "white supremacy".

But, half the list being objectively good things is a problem and the suggestion of "rational, linear thinking", "scientific method", time management, etc being "white" is not just an example of listing things which are universally good as white, but also giving white people way too much credit.  The idea that white people brought "plan[ning] for the future" or emphasis on family or time or "work before play" to all the other cultures is just factually wrong and seriously insulting.

The Smithsonian retracted this after less than 48 hours for the reasons I gave.

But, let me say this.  I find it incredibly problematic to go out of the way to emphasize a real, tangible, "white culture" that combines all of Europe into one culture.  The reason is simple.  If you are really going to posit a distinct "white culture" that can be understood as separate from all other cultures -- and especially if it includes a long list of objectively good universals -- then you are opening the door to a justification for "white pride".  Not British pride, French pride, Russian, Jewish, whatever.  "White pride."  Which I have seen quite enough of these past four years.

@winetarelli posted:

Yep.  The revised CDC guidelines are perfectly sane and more-or-less what I would do:

1a. Frontline healthcare workers (and, I think, nursing homes)

1b. Frontline essential workers.  (Police, firefighters, pharmacy workers, etc) and people over 75

1c. People with co-morbidities and people over 65

I get giving it to older first (after frontline healthcare workers).  That is actually the way many countries are going to go about doing it, at least with the very old populations (dunno about 65).  But I absolutely agree with your cynicism regarding his reasons.

I'm in group 1C.  I'll happily take it as soon as they want to administer it to me.

@winetarelli posted:

Obviously, "Christianity is the norm" is "white culture" - ish.  The same could be said of emphasis on Greek and Roman history.

Yes. Except there is no longer an ancient Rome or Greece instructing people how what to believe.

The conversation surrounding it had been "white supremacy".

Perhaps the "conversation" but not the actual product.

But, half the list being objectively good things is a problem and the suggestion of "rational, linear thinking", "scientific method", time management, etc being "white" is not just an example of listing things which are universally good as white, but also giving white people way too much credit.  

Certainly the scientific method is almost solely the creation of white men. As I said, many of the things are simply true.

The idea that white people brought "plan[ning] for the future" or emphasis on family or time or "work before play" to all the other cultures is just factually wrong and seriously insulting.

Yes, those are patently untrue.

The Smithsonian retracted this after less than 48 hours for the reasons I gave.

True, though I think it's important to note that this came straight from the black history museum.

Last edited by The Old Man
@irwin posted:

McConnell is 78 yrs old, just got re-elected. He has the power to just say, "We are not voting on the house bill." By doing so, it means, among other things, that the two Georgia senators who are in tight election races for Jan. 6, don't have to take a position.

And they call this a "democracy"?

They went on record yesterday or today saying they supported to 2K. But yeah, the leaders of House and Senate have too much power. If one branch passes legislation the other should be obliged to consider it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.