Skip to main content

@irwin posted:

Should federal troops ever be used domestically, to enforce the law, without being asked in by the local or state government?

Liberals applauded this use of federal force.

Er, Irwin nobody said anything about that. We're talking about an unmarked secret police force like the ones used in fascist dictatorships on their own citizens.  No Americans, on any range of the political spectrum, should be applauding that.

Last edited by The Old Man
@irwin posted:

Should federal troops ever be used domestically, to enforce the law, without being asked in by the local or state government?

In 1957, President Eisenhower sent 1000 troops from the 101st airborne to Little Rock, AK, without a request from the governor or the mayor, to enforce the S.Ct's decision in Brown.  He did this to enforce the law, to protect the Black students who had entered the newly desegregated school, and to assert federal authority over state authorities who were not enforcing the law.  He also federalized the Arkansas National Guard.  Liberals applauded this use of federal force.

Why such a blatantly straw man argument?  Beyond the differences between what was happening then in Little Rock, AR (i.e. protecting the civil rights of US citizens to attend desegregated schools, inferring that adequate protections weren’t provided to them by local and state leaders because of racism), were the 101st Airborne wearing masks and detaining citizens into unmarked vehicles?

Portland has a long history of protesting/ rioting. From today's NY Times, which many here quote. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...rtland-protests.html

If you read the story you will see that it says that things were calming down before the Fed cops arrived, that most of the city remains calm and that leaders on both left and right think the Fed cops are making things worse and sustaining the violence. 

Just another day in Trumpworld....

Did you bother to read the article? You are a big proponent of quoting the NY Times. As for myself, not that you deserve an answer, I'm in favor of keeping the peace, and actually, dismantling all government, but do it legally, through the justice system.

If you talking to me I did not read the article. Did it give some kind of rationale about using a secret police force? (Which we were actually talking about.) Otherwise what's the point? We're all familiar with the basic protest history of Portland.

"As for myself, not that you deserve an answer..." I don't deserve an answer but you expected an answer from us? You are as bad a debater as Napacat. And you're in favor of "dismantling all government"? OK, it really makes a lot of sense to waste time responding to you. Spin, deflect and prevaricate, it's all you've got.

Did you bother to read the article? You are a big proponent of quoting the NY Times. As for myself, not that you deserve an answer, I'm in favor of keeping the peace, and actually, dismantling all government, but do it legally, through the justice system.

If you're talking to me, yes I read the article, as you can tell by the fact that I told you what it said. But I don't think I'm a big proponent of quoting the times any more than any other paper or news source. In fact I rarely get past their firewalls. Maybe you are confusing me for someone else?

Interesting that you are in favour of dismantling all government. Didn't take you for an anarchist or a disbeliever in democracy. 

@bman posted:

Interesting that you are in favour of dismantling all government. Didn't take you for an anarchist or a disbeliever in democracy. 

It caught me off guard too. He wants to legally dismantle our government. How do you even do that?  I guess we'd need an amendment that says the Constitution is no longer the law of the land. Good luck. Ironically, I guess rioting in the streets is another method.

Serious question.  How would one dismantle the government legally and through the justice system?  Seems incongruous to me. 

“ I wish her well.”  This is what the Dump said about a person under investigation and arrest by the feds for child sex trafficking after they found out where she was hiding. 

“ I wish her well.” Not that this is an ongoing investigation and I can’t comment. Oh, this is also what he said about another felon, Roger Stone. 

It is also nice to hear that after 6 months and 142k deaths he reads ( barely) that his administration is beginning to develop a strategy. What a POS! 

It is also nice to hear that after 6 months and 142k deaths he reads ( barely) that his administration is beginning to develop a strategy. What a POS! 

We watched his droning yesterday.  Sounded like warm $hit.  He should have a higher lectern, so the paper would be higher, and does not need to "speak" talking down.  Looked like a campaign talk to us.   Limited questions, and no answers. 

He and Gov Ron, both plead ignorance every day.  The virus will go away, sure so did the bubonic plague.

@irwin posted:

I like to look at the polls at

https://www.realclearpolitics....olls/latest_polls/#!

Generally, it makes me feel better.

Do not get lulled into complacency. Trump has already shown he will do anything to win. We've already seen him attempt to blackmail a foreign country into helping him. The Trumpublicans are all getting behind methods of suppressing the vote and he has already made it clear, as in 2016, that he won't accept the results if he doesn't win. And if he loses certainly one of the most dangerous times in our country's history will be the time between election day and Inauguration Day.

@The Old Man posted:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV"

The 45th president of the United States.

That is amazing! No one gets that right, ever! You get extra points if you can do it again. 

The shit that spews out of his month for the entire world to hear is shocking.

I took my mother in law for that very test when she was 88. The assisted living place she moved into required the results. It helped them know the residents needs better. She too aced the ‘test’ at 88. 🤣

The Dump saying “ the last few questions were very hard.” Finally, FINALLY he spoke the truth. 

@csm posted:

Trump not going to see John Lewis lying in state.  No reason specified.  What a clown. 

Lewis, known and beloved as the ‘ conscious of the congress.’ He lived a life of hope for betterment for ALL people. He lived a life of seeking what we all have in common and build upon those positive commonalities... Dump is the cancer and feces of the executive branch and is devoid of any conscious. 

Lewis said when people call you names, hate you for your color and treat you with disrespect, forgive them and love them. This is the only way to change their heart. Dump belittles people of color, calls their IQ into question, creates lies about anyone that doesn’t agree with him including his inter circle and family, lacks respect for any different opinions and spews hate and division daily plus filters EVERYTHING through a single filter... how does it make me look? 

Dump doesn’t deserve the privilege of attending in my opinion.  To paraphrase Rev. Sykes from a brilliant novel, Stand Up because your father is about to pass. 

Lewis, known and beloved as the ‘ conscious of the congress.’ He lived a life of hope for betterment for ALL people. He lived a life of seeking what we all have in common and build upon those positive commonalities... Dump is the cancer and feces of the executive branch and is devoid of any conscious

"Conscious?"  Huh?

Last edited by irwin
@irwin posted:

Lewis, known and beloved as the ‘ conscious of the congress.’ He lived a life of hope for betterment for ALL people. He lived a life of seeking what we all have in common and build upon those positive commonalities... Dump is the cancer and feces of the executive branch and is devoid of any conscious

"Conscious?"  Huh?

Correct. I should do a better job checking while typing on my phone. Thanks! 

@wine+art posted:

Dump doesn’t deserve the privilege of attending in my opinion.  To paraphrase Rev. Sykes from a brilliant novel, Stand Up because your father is about to pass. 

I see what you’re saying but I think Lewis deserves the recognition of the person holding the highest office in the land. It’s reprehensible that he will not. Moreover, even if the president doesn’t deserve the right based on his behaviour, Lewis would, most certainly have welcomed him to a similar proceeding and recommended forgiveness for his transgressions. Something I’d not have done I’m sure (Lewis clearly is a better man than I).  

The increase in anti-Semitic incidents, which saw its largest increase in decades with the inauguration of Trump in 2017, continues its yearly climb.

"More than 2,100 acts of assault, vandalism and harassment were reported last year, according to the ADL, which has been tracking these incidents since 1979. An audit of Antisemitic Incidents released in May showed a 12% increase in incidents and a 56% increase in assaults in 2019."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.