Skip to main content

The Old Man posted:
purplehaze posted:
napacat posted:
Pocahontas...

Question for you there, napa.  Why did you use "Pocahontas?"  She has a name.

Did you come up with that nickname yourself?  Oh...  never mind. 

PH

It's a bigoted nickname that his sick hero came up with. Using it himself makes him also a bigot. Not that that comes as any surprise.

Well we all know napacat is also a sick person.  He follows the sicko from DC.  maybe we need a "sick" name for napacat.   Have a few thoughts.

purplehaze posted:
napacat posted:
Pocahontas...

Question for you there, napa.  Why did you use "Pocahontas?"  She has a name.

Did you come up with that nickname yourself?  Oh...  never mind. 

PH

Used it because it is funny!  Wouldn’t she have to be Native American for it to be a racial slur (and we know she is not) and lied about it.  It’s really very funny!  So is Alfred E Nueman.  

It’s just funny...nothing more to read into it than that.  Why is everyone always looking for hidden and negative meanings?  Enjoy it for what it is.  Bill Maher calls Trump a mango, an orangutan and other things...and you know what...it’s funny.

I cannot believe people are still getting baited by Napa.  

Look, Warren is a near-Albino literally 99.9% White Christian person who never even came into consistent contact with Native Americans until well into her adult life; who may have heard a false story about a distant relative being Native-American, and who used that as an excuse to lie about her heritage when applying to schools, for scholarships, and for jobs well into her 40s in the hopes that she would be a diversity hire or acceptance.  The fact that she has become a woke scold (who, for example, has doubled down on wanting her Secretary of Education vetted by a transgender 8 year old) makes this part of her background that much more irritating.

Pocahontas is generally considered a positive Indigenous figure, but referring to a Native American as that would be like calling a Jew "Moses".  It doesn't matter that we like Moses, it is that it would be belittling and reductive and therefore racist.  Calling a non-Jew making ridiculous claims of Judaism "Moses" isn't nearly as bad because it is an attack on the claim, not on the ethnicity.  However, The way Donald Trump has used this, and the way his disciples have followed suit has been terribly insulting and drips with a certain glee of finding a loophole to say what they really want to say about actual Native Americans.  It is the glee and conscious sense of trolling that I find racist and more broadly mean-spirited.

That said, we need to keep our eyes on the prize.  Unfortunately, calling out every little thing that Drumpf and his minions do just turns into noise so absolutely nothing gets through, even when there is vital need for Americans to pay attention.  Understand, this is by design.  "Good people on both sides," utter incompetence in handling a bourgeoning pandemic, conspiracy theorizing, doing Russia's bidding, etc just become a part of the noise if we get baited by every little thing.

Last edited by winetarelli
The Old Man posted:
purplehaze posted:
The Old Man posted:

Biden, in his stirring victory speech tonight spoke of such things as decency, humility and service. We may just eek this out if enough Americans still think those things are important.

Eek, indeed!    It's eke, TOM.  

PH

Where's the hanging my head in shame emoji?

Heh... if I knew, I'd have already used it myself many times.  

PH

purplehaze posted:
The Old Man posted:
purplehaze posted:
The Old Man posted:

Biden, in his stirring victory speech tonight spoke of such things as decency, humility and service. We may just eek this out if enough Americans still think those things are important.

Eek, indeed!    It's eke, TOM.  

PH

Where's the hanging my head in shame emoji?

Heh... if I knew, I'd have already used it myself many times.  

PH

Hanging Head in Shame

With Buttegieg getting out of the race, (I still can’t spell his name), the three major male Democratic candidates are Biden, Bloomberg and Sanders.  Biden, at age 77 is the youngest of them.

If Mayor Pete were to run in 2060 (40 years from now), he’d be younger than Biden is today.

The two women still in the race? One is Warren, who is 70.  Klobuchar, was born in May of 1960, so she’ll turn 60 in a few months.

(I’m not counting Tulsi Gabbard)

irwin

patespo1 posted:

Klobuchar dropping out, will back Biden.  Could be his possible choice for VP?  I think Klobuchar or Harris would be a good choice for him. 

I don't think Harris brings anything to the table for him and her identity-politics lean backfired even within the Democratic Party.  If he wanted a Black woman, I think Stacey Abrams would be a better choice.  I like her a lot.

Last edited by winetarelli
mimik posted:
The Old Man posted:

Spoken by Biden but exemplified in practice by Sanders.

Humility?! Sanders is the Trump of the Democrats, except he's not a Democrat. Of course i will vote for anyone against the racist in chief.

The Old Man posted:
mimik posted:
The Old Man posted:

Humility?! Sanders is the Trump of the Democrats, except he's not a Democrat. Of course i will vote for anyone against the racist in chief.

In the sense that he is not part of the party establishment, yes you are right on that. But Sanders would never be able to implement everything he is preaching should he become president. They never do once elected.

Last edited by mimik

Klobuchar a much better choice than Abrams.  Klobuchar has national experience. Midwest. Moderate. Helps Biden in the rust belt., her home state of Minnesota, neighboring WIsconsin,etc. (The battle will be WIsconsin, MIchigan....Biden strong in Pennsylvania).

Abrams.  No national experience. None. Served about 10 or so years in the Georgia State House as a member of the minority party.  No name recognition other than among political geeks. Lost a statewide election.  Like O'Rourke in that regard. Losing a state wide election is not a credential to be President of the US. Would not be perceived as "ready" to take the helm should something happen to Biden.

Side note: Trump, Biden, Sanders, Bloomberg, Warren....all 70 or over. Coronavirus said to be a bigger risk for persons over 70. 

irwin posted:

Klobuchar a much better choice than Abrams.  Klobuchar has national experience. Midwest. Moderate. Helps Biden in the rust belt., her home state of Minnesota, neighboring WIsconsin,etc. (The battle will be WIsconsin, MIchigan....Biden strong in Pennsylvania).

Abrams.  No national experience. None. Served about 10 or so years in the Georgia State House as a member of the minority party.  No name recognition other than among political geeks. Lost a statewide election.  Like O'Rourke in that regard. Losing a state wide election is not a credential to be President of the US. Would not be perceived as "ready" to take the helm should something happen to Biden.

Side note: Trump, Biden, Sanders, Bloomberg, Warren....all 70 or over. Coronavirus said to be a bigger risk for persons over 70. 

If any of you saw the press conference / rally with Buttigieg, it was unmistakable who Biden *wants* as his running mate. Buttigieg won’t be the running mate, unfortunately, even if Biden is the nominee. But it was an interesting dynamic to watch. 

winetarelli posted:
irwin posted:

If any of you saw the press conference / rally with Buttigieg, it was unmistakable who Biden *wants* as his running mate. Buttigieg won’t be the running mate, unfortunately, even if Biden is the nominee. But it was an interesting dynamic to watch. 

Pete could be a great Secretary of State. 

The Old Man posted:
mimik posted:
The Old Man posted:

This exactly 

The only person to previously be President who was born in Pennsylvania was James Buchanan.  Biden was born in PA.

Both had the initials "JB".  Both were "juniors". Both lawyers. Both had last names ending in the letter "N".  Both served in the Senate. Both lifelong Democrats.  Both had a son involved in a Ukrainian oil company, except for Buchanan, that is.

arsenal4ever posted:

Interesting. Buchanan ranks at or near the bottom of all lists rating Presidents. Under his administration, the policies he enacted helped divide the Union and separated the states. Kind of like what we have right now.

Buchanan was a bachelor.  There is speculation by some historians that he was gay.  "Under his administration, the policies he enacted helped divide the Union and separated the states." - That could be said, as you point out, as to the present President, but we've had tremendous disagreements about policy in the past. In those days we had blue states and grey states. Now, we have blue and red.  Same idea.

Kamala wasn’t a good candidate for lots of reasons, including her heavy lean on identity politics, but also her history as a prosecutor, amongst other things. Booker refused to take up the mantle of moderation and thus languished as a person without a message. Klobuchar didn’t connect, Buttigieg was too young, Beto said lots of stupid shit and didn’t seem to know what was going on. Biden’s built-in support meant people like Bullock and Bennet never had a chance.

More simply: too many people thought Democrats = Left Twitter / Brooklyn / Hollywood / NE college campuses. But really, Dems just want to beat Trump; and a smaller but substantial portion, want a “political revolution” that is still not cultural far-Left. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.