Report that Americans, especially younger ones, are stressed.  Maybe we have done a poor job of raising children and allowing them to deal with issues and conflicts as they grow up.  Overprotection does not enable children to grow up and deal with problems they are eventually going to have to deal with properly.

thistlintom posted:

Report that Americans, especially younger ones, are stressed.  Maybe we have done a poor job of raising children and allowing them to deal with issues and conflicts as they grow up.  Overprotection does not enable children to grow up and deal with problems they are eventually going to have to deal with properly.

I’m confident they aren’t stressed with the $20T and growing debt our generation is leaving them.  Another all time record deficit last month. All this winning is very special! 

wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

I’m confident they aren’t stressed with the $20T and growing debt our generation is leaving them.  Another all time record deficit last month. All this winning is very special! 

What's really scary is that they probably aren't even aware of issues like the debt, ever-worsening relations with key allies, and election interference by hostile powers.  Imagine how stressed they will be when those chickens come home to roost!

bman posted:
wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

What's really scary is that they probably aren't even aware of issues like the debt, ever-worsening relations with key allies, and election interference by hostile powers.  Imagine how stressed they will be when those chickens come home to roost!

Oh my, my kids are without question. 

Also, for the first time ever they didn’t receive money back this year from their tav return.  

Debt:  One of the things I do as a lawyer is to interview potential new admittees to the Bar to try to assess their moral character. [One is supposed to have good moral character to become a lawyer] --Hold the jokes about how I managed to pass that test, please!

So this week I interviewed a guy who has emerged from law school with about $180,000 in debt.   Good grief. That is a lot of debt for a young guy.

irwin posted:

Debt:  One of the things I do as a lawyer is to interview potential new admittees to the Bar to try to assess their moral character. [One is supposed to have good moral character to become a lawyer] --Hold the jokes about how I managed to pass that test, please!

So this week I interviewed a guy who has emerged from law school with about $180,000 in debt.   Good grief. That is a lot of debt for a young guy.

Well - if he went to private universities, undergrad is what $40K a year now.  Law School is what $45-50K a year - hard to know these days how much - I am sure some of the parents with recent or current students know exactly  - very easy to have that kind of debt.

I graduated law school in 1997 - as some of you know my dad is a Rabbi, my mom worked for non-profits and we had no family money. I had way over $100K in student loans back then when tuition was lower.

I graduated from law school in 1978 after attending the U of MD (my state university).

College was $248 per semester when I started in 1971.  Law school was $1350 per semester.  Things cost less back then.  Near the end of law school I bought the top of the line Toyota Corolla.  Carpeting. Air conditioning. Tape deck.  Fire engine red.  Cost just under $4400. 
When I got out of law school, my first job was at a firm paying me $19,000 per year! My mother said, "What are you going to do with all that money?"  I said, "I'm going to spend 90% of it on women and alcohol, and just waste the other 10%."

College is getting ridiculously expensive.  It seems there are more and more bureaucrats in the schools causing enormous overheads and resulting in outlandish tuition costs.  You have staffs overseeing diversity, safe spaces and many other issues that really have nothing to do with getting an education.  There should be a concerted effort by schools to reduce the university costs and tuition.

We should also work on providing more avenues for people not interested in college, such as vocational schools.  Not everyone needs to go to college or should go to college.

thistlintom posted:

College is getting ridiculously expensive.  It seems there are more and more bureaucrats in the schools causing enormous overheads and resulting in outlandish tuition costs.  You have staffs overseeing diversity, safe spaces and many other issues that really have nothing to do with getting an education.  There should be a concerted effort by schools to reduce the university costs and tuition.

We should also work on providing more avenues for people not interested in college, such as vocational schools.  Not everyone needs to go to college or should go to college.

Those high tuition costs are needed to pay coaching salaries. Don’t rock the boat! J/k - football fans save your rant about the revenue they generate. 

Agree with vocational training. I work in manufacturing and we have a really tough time finding younger, skilled machinists. I’ve been in procurement over 20 years and don’t have a 4 year degree. 

thistlintom posted:

The Coddling of the American Mind. Greg Lukainoff and Jonathon Haidt. 

I've recently taken the position that if politicians truly want to help educate our young people they'd pay a portion of college education via grants (not all of it like many Democratic candidates for president are promoting) and if young people want to go to a vocational school they'd pay 100% of that.  We desperately need as many trade skill workers that we can get.  Not so much yet another I.T. weenie like myself.  My two cents worth.

winetarelli posted:
thistlintom posted:

The Coddling of the American Mind. Greg Lukainoff and Jonathon Haidt. 

I read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt and thought it was excellent.  He also believes that kids do not have enough free time to play, which helps in their development

wineismylife posted:

I've recently taken the position that if politicians truly want to help educate our young people they'd pay a portion of college education via grants (not all of it like many Democratic candidates for president are promoting) and if young people want to go to a vocational school they'd pay 100% of that.  We desperately need as many trade skill workers that we can get.  Not so much yet another I.T. weenie like myself.  My two cents worth.

Our high school provided a vocational path for those who did not want to go to college.  It was part of a group of high schools that had a vocational ed campus.  I don’t know if it is still offered.

one of the problems with the free college thing is that it doesn' t make sense (to me) to give free college tuition to rich kids with rich parents.  Another reason is that it makes some sense to give assistance to kids who wish to study things like computer science, engineering, and various other technical things, during periods when our society needs people trained in these areas, while it makes less sense to pay for free education for kids who wish to study medieval English literature, or some other subject that seems less useful.

Not sure who decides what is more useful or less useful. 

Not sure where to post this.....  Anyway, a professional group to which I belong (lawyers) is having a dinner meeting on May 11.  The guest speaker is Rod Rosenstein, in the evening after he leaves the Justice department.

What question would you ask him?

irwin posted:

Not sure where to post this.....  Anyway, a professional group to which I belong (lawyers) is having a dinner meeting on May 11.  The guest speaker is Rod Rosenstein, in the evening after he leaves the Justice department.

Why did you quit, disgust, politics, or seeking personal freedom?

flwino posted:
irwin posted:

Why did you quit, disgust, politics, or seeking personal freedom?

Why not ask him if he intends to run for political office, or take a job in any organization linked to any political party, at any time in the future.

Not the questions I'd REALLY like to ask him, but he wouldn't answer any of those questions!

Question...Are any of my Democrat friends embarrassed for your party after the Barr testimony the other day.  How can Blumenthal ask those questions with a straight face. And Hirono...Wow.  She should be sued for Slander.     What is it like to be a puppet for CNN and MSNBC.  SAD!

Everything is unraveling. This should be an interesting few months.  

napacat posted:

Question...Are any of my Democrat friends embarrassed for your party after the Barr testimony the other day.  How can Blumenthal ask those questions with a straight face. And Hirono...Wow.  She should be sued for Slander.     What is it like to be a puppet for CNN and MSNBC.  SAD!

First there's no such thing as the "Democrat" party no matter how many times Fox State News says so and second,you're kidding right? Is it "Slander" when you call a liar a liar? My own favorite was when asked if the racist-in-chief asked him to go the president's enemies and he sat there twisting in his chair struggling to answer. Every other AG since Nixon's would be able to answer this question with a simple "no."

I've already discovered, in a previous exchange with you, that you're a fucking joke when it comes to clear, rational thinking and arguing so I will not engage with you further on this topic.

And exactly how does big Mr. America First get on a phone call to the dictator of Russia and not discuss his meddling in our elections and tell him to knock it off?

The Old Man posted:
napacat posted:

First there's no such thing as the "Democrat" party no matter how many times Fox State News says so and second,you're kidding right? Is it "Slander" when you call a liar a liar? My own favorite was when asked if the racist-in-chief asked him to go the president's enemies and he sat there twisting in his chair struggling to answer. Every other AG since Nixon's would be able to answer this question with a simple "no."

I've already discovered, in a previous exchange with you, that you're a fucking joke when it comes to clear, rational thinking and arguing so I will not engage with you further on this topic.

And exactly how does big Mr. America First get on a phone call to the dictator of Russia and not discuss his meddling in our elections and tell him to knock it off?

Of course they asked to look into it further.  The entire scam was a set-up.  It will come out.  Hillary should be in jail without a doubt! 

Barr was simply outstanding! Just letting the Dems make fools of themselves was quite fun.  Wish he would have went to the House committee and have done the same.  Pay attention...the President cannot be guilty of Obstruction of Justice when the original charge was false and erroneous.  

Regarding the phone call...he should be as forceful as Obama right and say “ you stop meddling”!  Great job the last President did.  I’m with Board-O Obama was the worst.  That sir was a joke of a President. 

napacat posted:
The Old Man posted:
napacat posted:

Of course they asked to look into it further.  The entire scam was a set-up.  It will come out.  Hillary should be in jail without a doubt! 

Barr was simply outstanding! Just letting the Dems make fools of themselves was quite fun.  Wish he would have went to the House committee and have done the same.  Pay attention...the President cannot be guilty of Obstruction of Justice when the original charge was false and erroneous.  

Regarding the phone call...he should be as forceful as Obama right and say “ you stop meddling”!  Great job the last President did.  I’m with Board-O Obama was the worst.  That sir was a joke of a President. 

I wonder why the Trumpanzees only post here when they're drunk...... 

thistlintom posted:

Clinton and Abrams claiming their elections were stolen or rigged.  Get over it, you lost.  

So Russian interference in the election, specifically in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin - which Trump won by 0.2, 0.7 and 0.8 percentage points, and by 10,704, 46,765 and 22,177 votes respectively, made no difference?

And the fact that Abrams' opponent was in charge of the election, resulting in voter purges, registration applications put on hold until it was too late, election day issues almost exclusively in non-white polls, elimination of polls in non-white districts, etc. had no impact there either, when Kemp won by 1.4%?

So were their elections rigged or stolen?  I think there is a good case to be made that they were.  That said, yes, they do need to get over it...

We have propped up dictators (Diem, the Shah, Pinochet); We have tried to overthrow foreign leaders (Noriega, Fidel Castro); We have promoted "regime change" (Assad, Hussein).  We have also tried to influence democratic elections on many occasions-- Obama tried to help Ehud Barak in his anti-Netanyahu efforts, and Trump has tried to help Netanyahu.... Some with aid, some with electioneering.  There are many other examples.  This seems to be a common element of American Foreign policy, regardless of whether the occupant of the White House is a Democrat or a Republican.

So, why are we so upset that the Russians were trying to do the same thing?

irwin posted:

We have propped up dictators (Diem, the Shah, Pinochet); We have tried to overthrow foreign leaders (Noriega, Fidel Castro); We have promoted "regime change" (Assad, Hussein).  We have also tried to influence democratic elections on many occasions-- Obama tried to help Ehud Barak in his anti-Netanyahu efforts, and Trump has tried to help Netanyahu.... Some with aid, some with electioneering.  There are many other examples.  This seems to be a common element of American Foreign policy, regardless of whether the occupant of the White House is a Democrat or a Republican.

Irwin, I don’t think the question has ever been about being ‘ upset.’ The issue has always been about ignoring and not taking aggressive actions to prevent it in the future. Period.

The clinically ill president knows it benefited him. He knows that there were 10M more people that didn’t vote for him than did vote for him. He knows he won the election by capturing a razor thin margin in specific states where the interference was also targeted by having generational democrats vote republican. He also knows he needs the same interference again in 2020 as his base is not going to grow. Research the last time an incumbent lost 40 seats in the house. 40 seats!

Putin’s poodle per his own current chief of staff says you can’t even bring the subject up as the poodle will throw a temper tantrum, so clearly aggressive actions will not be taken. 

wineart 2 posted:
irwin posted:

" Research the last time an incumbent lost 40 seats in the house. 40 seats!"

In 2010, the party in power (the Dems) lost 63 seats.

Add Reply

Likes (0)