Skip to main content

Was doing a Chinese and needed a Gewurztraminer on Friday and Safeway had only the one - their own. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger. It was £6 a throw which is not cheap for Supermarket snifters so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and went for it. Chilled it lightly.

So as the cork comes out the immediate aromas start hitting you - Lychees and honey, lovely. The colour was straw and it was a medium density wine moving nicely but not taking the corners too carefully. The floral aspects were obvious in the glass hinting at Roses and those funny, little flowers that Lady K likes.

In the mouth it was a little too much without the food but with spices from the black bean sauce it settled down nicely. The flavours of eastern fruit dominated and the flowers hung around with a sweetness that lasted just long enough.

Overall, was it worth £6 - yes. In fact this is a better Alsation (woof) than many named ones that I've tried for more money and certainly beats any other house Gewurz that I've had. Would buy again for the next time I make a Friday night Thai curry.

"You mean the death toll from Killer Bee attacks can spread?"
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.