gigabit posted:
winetarelli posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Super Dave

Yep. Just coming here to say that. Bob Einstein. Wonderful on “Curb”. RIP

He was also very funny on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

I heard, today, that he is the older brother of Albert Brooks.

Yes!  I saw Albert Brooks call him “brother” but figured it was a figure of speech. But now that I read your post, that does sound familiar. 

winetarelli posted:
gigabit posted:
winetarelli posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Super Dave

Yep. Just coming here to say that. Bob Einstein. Wonderful on “Curb”. RIP

He was also very funny on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

I heard, today, that he is the older brother of Albert Brooks.

Yes!  I saw Albert Brooks call him “brother” but figured it was a figure of speech. But now that I read your post, that does sound familiar. 

Albert Brooks's real name is Albert Einstein. He changed it for obvious reasons.

Pegi Young

To think that Neil Young left her recently for Darryl Hannah.  The school that Pegi established back in the 80s for special needs kids (Neil and Pegi's son, Ben, was born with cerebral palsy) is extraordinary.  And she was not a bad singer/songwriter in her own right.  RIP

flwino posted:

Carol Channing   Good bye Dolly 

According to Wikipedia:  "Channing had unique dietary habits. In 1978, she said she hadn't eaten restaurant food in 15 years, and preferred only organic food. When invited to restaurants, she would bring several sealed containers with her own food, such as zucchini or chopped celery, and simply ask for an empty plate and glass. For dessert, she would eat seeds. .......... she would not drink alcoholic beverages of any sort."

irwin posted:
flwino posted:

According to Wikipedia:  "Channing had unique dietary habits. In 1978, she said she hadn't eaten restaurant food in 15 years, and preferred only organic food. When invited to restaurants, she would bring several sealed containers with her own food, such as zucchini or chopped celery, and simply ask for an empty plate and glass. For dessert, she would eat seeds. .......... she would not drink alcoholic beverages of any sort."

Definitely not my way to live.  Yikes.

doubled posted:
irwin posted:
flwino posted:

Me neither. But, a cheap date.

irwin posted:
doubled posted:
irwin posted:
flwino posted:

Me neither. But, a cheap date.

Was the first performer my older sister (wardrobe person) toured with. Lovely lady

Frank Robinson, Hall of Fame Baseball player. 83 yrs old.  Only person to win an MVP award in both the National League and the American League.  10th on the all-time HR list (586). A great player and great competitor.  I think he was the first African-American manager in the big leagues.

robsutherland posted:
The Old Man posted:

The indispensable Sister Wendy.

Her genuine, geeky enthusiasm was always a joy to watch. 

Yeah, bummer.  I remember watching her episode on Manet’s A bar at the Folies-Bergere.  Without knowing where the painting was, on my first visit to the Coltaurd, I turned a corner and there it was.  It was surreal.    I felt all at least some of her subtle observations were not lost on me.  Unforgettable.  RIP.

irwin posted:

Frank Robinson, Hall of Fame Baseball player. 83 yrs old.  Only person to win an MVP award in both the National League and the American League.  10th on the all-time HR list (586). A great player and great competitor.  I think he was the first African-American manager in the big leagues.

Really liked and respected him when he was the manager of the Expos. Such a strong character in the face of a really bad situation. 

haggis posted:

Peter Tork (Monkees)

Yes, he is the 2nd of the quartet to go.  Two more and the Monkees will be extinct.

The song "I wanna be free" from the 1966 album incorporated a string quartet. The cello solo is really nice.

irwin posted:
haggis posted:

Peter Tork (Monkees)

Yes, he is the 2nd of the quartet to go.  Two more and the Monkees will be extinct.

The song "I wanna be free" from the 1966 album incorporated a string quartet. The cello solo is really nice.

Maybe the two remaining Beatles and Monkeys should team up

robsutherland posted:
pinotlvr posted:

Luke Perry!  I didn't watch the show that made him famous, but 52 is too young

RIP

Yeah dying from a stroke at 52 is the type of thing you heard about 50 years ago, not now. Scary. 

My father-in-law died at 52 from a stroke. But that was in 1985. Weird to think I'm older than him now.

Jan Michael Vincent, 73. I read that he had an alcohol problem, and was such a pain in the butt that they had to replace him as Stringfellow Hawke in Airwolf. But that was still one of my favorite shows in the 80's. Of course, the chopper was the real star of that show.

I've been traveling, and sorting through what to say; thus, a week late to mourn the loss of one of the great poets, writers, thinkers, and conservationists this country has produced.

William Stanley (WS) Merwin passed away a week ago at the age of 92.  He lived on Maui since the 1970s, so I was able to see him quite often.  He was remarkable.  Two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Poet Laureate of the US, etc. 

Ranking Roger of English Beat / General Public fame 

Dave Wakeling settled just up the road many years ago. They've been a main  stay at local clubs and festivals particularly my favorite local club the Belly Up. I believe Roger had been dealing with health issues for quite some time 

bomba503 posted:

Dave Wakeling settled just up the road many years ago. They've been a main  stay at local clubs and festivals particularly my favorite local club the Belly Up. I believe Roger had been dealing with health issues for quite some time 

+1. Ranking Full Stop. I was surprised to read he was 2 years younger than me.

bomba503 posted:

I don't know where to start or where to stop.

Gino Marchetti.. age 93.  Son of Italian immigrants.  Football player for the Baltimore Colts from 1953-1966.

After graduating from high school, at age 17 he enlisted in the US Army. Was a machine gunner at the Battle of the Bulge.

He was voted best defensive end in history in 1972.  He also played the offensive line some.

After his football career was over, he founded a hamburger chain called, "Gino's".  Ultimately there were over 300 of them, and he sold out to Marriott.  Back in college, I used to eat the "Gino Giant" which was Bigmacesque.

vinoevelo posted:

RIP Niki Lauda 

A legend. Self funded his entry into F1 by taking out loans because his banking elite family blackballed him with local sponsors. Went from last rights to 6 weeks later winning an F1 race still swaddled in bandages making a mockery of anyone that would call Tiger Wood's win this year "the biggest sports comeback ever". Also had his own airline which just makes him a cooler individual than he already was.  

jcocktosten posted:
brucehayes posted:

Dr. John (Malcolm John Rebennack Jr.)

Was about to post this

Such a unique sound, what a bummer.  My kids are young and a few years ago we had a family night and watched the Disney movie, The Princess and the Frog.  I’m not too into the whole genre but man, when I realized Dr. John was writing and singing songs in it, it brought it to another level. RIP.

thistlintom posted:
irwin posted:

Jim Bouton holds the record for the most hits given up in a 9 inning complete game shutout.  (14 hits).

Well, that certainly is a left handed compliment

Actually, in the case of Bouton, it was a right-handed compliment.

irwin posted:
thistlintom posted:
irwin posted:

Jim Bouton holds the record for the most hits given up in a 9 inning complete game shutout.  (14 hits).

You are welcome for the set up

thistlintom posted:
irwin posted:
thistlintom posted:
irwin posted:

You are welcome for the set up

chip shot. Thanks.

On the topic of giving up the most hits in a game:

There was a guy named Allan Travers, who played a single game in the majors. On May 18, 1912, he gave up 26 hits in a 9 inning game.  Not a shutout.  Of course, in those days they weren’t into relief pitchers.  He has an interesting biography.  The circumstances pursuant to which he played in just one game and his life story can be found on Wikipedia.  After his one game, he became a Catholic priest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Travers

jcocktosten posted:
brucehayes posted:

Johnny Clegg, South African musician, at 66. I know him from the band Juluka.

RIP - Johnny Clegg and Savuka were very important.  Will listen to Great Heart on the way home

The Jimmy Buffett version gets regular play in our house as part of a playlist I put together. 

thelostverse posted:
jcocktosten posted:
brucehayes posted:

RIP - Johnny Clegg and Savuka were very important.  Will listen to Great Heart on the way home

The Jimmy Buffett version gets regular play in our house as part of a playlist I put together. 

Among the least surprising items of the day

They play a lot of Johnny Clegg on Radio Margaritaville

jcocktosten posted:
thelostverse posted:
jcocktosten posted:
brucehayes posted:

Among the least surprising items of the day

Guilty. 

steve8 posted:

David Berman

Singer songwriter of the Silver Jews. At age 52 he was just about to start a tour which included a Montreal stop.

Oh my. I missed this news.

I just saw his father not too long ago. David grew up in DFW and had a privileged lifestyle. He clearly struggled with such and his fathers corporate dealings throughout his life. 

steve8 posted:

David Berman

Singer songwriter of the Silver Jews. At age 52 he was just about to start a tour which included a Montreal stop.

Man, he could write lyrics...

We’ve been raised on replicas of fake and winding roads
and day after day up on this beautiful stage
we’ve been playing tambourine for minimum wage
but we are real, I know we are real.

RIP

PH

purplehaze posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Jeffrey Epstein

Not so much RIP as RIH.

RIH indeed.  I thought this guy was put on suicide watch?

PH

Perhaps the guards in charge of that did the world a solid by all going for an extended break at the same time. I’d have preferred a more violent end at the hands of other inmates, but at least his care is no longer being paid for.

purplehaze posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Jeffrey Epstein

Not so much RIP as RIH.

RIH indeed.  I thought this guy was put on suicide watch?

PH

What the heck.  This story has been on front page of our paper for months.  More local trash.  Was a friend of the orange haired guy. 

The State is now studying why he was only given a 13 month vacation at the local jail.  Went to his private office each day driven by his chauffer[ sp].

Can't believe suicide watch.  Were the guards hires as they were handicapped - like blind.

Dies in a DOJ facility after already trying to commit suicide once. For those who don't know the DOJ is run by the president's personal attorney, Bill Barr.

As for Epstein resting in peace, it's wrong that he's listed in this thread with all the good people who are memorialized here. If I believed in hell, I'd say R.I.H.

sunnylea57 posted:
The Old Man posted:

As for Epstein resting in peace, it's wrong that he's listed in this thread with all the good people who are memorialized here. If I believed in hell, I'd say R.I.H.

TOM, did you read my initial post on this?

Rhetorical question?

sunnylea57 posted:
The Old Man posted:

Your mention was the first I heard of this but I didn't read it carefully, I just clicked on CNN for the details. 

The Old Man posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
The Old Man posted:

Your mention was the first I heard of this but I didn't read it carefully, I just clicked on CNN for the details. 

TOM, the post was 8 words.  How carefully did you need to parse it?  

PH

purplehaze posted:
The Old Man posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
The Old Man posted:

TOM, the post was 8 words.  How carefully did you need to parse it?  

PH

Bernstein in Citizen Kane, "Old age. It's the only disease, Mr. Thompson, that you don't look forward to being cured of."

mneeley490 posted:

So our Twitterer in Chief had to weigh in on this, retweeting a conspiracy theory on how convenient it was that Epstein died just before he was going to spill some dirt on Bill Clinton.  The bar gets reset lower each day.

Unfortunately, there is no bottom with this sick f*@#* reality star POS. 

mneeley490 posted:

So our Twitterer in Chief had to weigh in on this, retweeting a conspiracy theory on how convenient it was that Epstein died just before he was going to spill some dirt on Bill Clinton.  The bar gets reset lower each day.

The bar is below ground level.  Like the sewer level.

See in teh paper this morning that the jail was understaffed, and many of the 'guards' were not guards, but other staff.  Gets sicker as this goes on.

Good old "DOB"    Dept of Barr

Old Man - You are the second person on this Forum who somehow thinks I support Trump. You are horribly mistaken. Go back and find one post that suggests that. Pointing out the failures of both parties, neither of which I support, and the rhetoric spouted here by people like yourself, happens to make my day.

arsenal4ever posted:

Old Man - You are the second person on this Forum who somehow thinks I support Trump. You are horribly mistaken. Go back and find one post that suggests that. Pointing out the failures of both parties, neither of which I support, and the rhetoric spouted here by people like yourself, happens to make my day.

I apologize and will remove it. Of course it's your rhetoric that I think gives more than a few people the impression that you support the pussy-grabber-in-chief. (And PS, I think it's a pretty sad way to get your jollies.)

bomba503 posted:

I know that. I was just testing your knowledge

growing up everyone used to say I looked like Brandon Cruz who played Eddie. Had the same hair, smile and freckles

People said I looked like Earl J. Waggedorn, Julia's son's friend. I went around calling myself Earl J. Waggedorn, the third. I was 7 when it debuted, and I remember being mad at my mother at some point, and telling her that I wished that Julia was my mother, because she was so pretty and nice. Yes, I was a terrible kid; I'm surprised that I survived to adulthood. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)