quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
My mother Minette aka Mickey--88. What a ride she had. Never would have moved to CA if she hadn't "grown up" and left Chicago when she was 50. Also the reason I'm into art, film and reading.



Sorry for your loss, TOM. Always tragic to lose a parent. Treasure your great memories of her...
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Stan Boreson, the King of Scandinavian Humor. Jan 27th, age 91.



Zerodokus muchocrokus hullabaloozabub/That's the secret password that we use down at the Club.

Among my very earliest memories of watching TV-- black and white, round screen, rabbit ears antenna, only 4 channels-- was Stan's Clubhouse. Rarely missed an episode. He provided wonder and laughter for a child. RIP Stan Boreson.

Can't believe that I still remember the beginning of that stupid song! Smile
Al Jarreau. Greatest jazz vocalist of all time IMHO. We saw him last year and his voice was great but he was feeble and needed assistance to get on and off stage. A huge talent that will be sadly missed. RIP AJ.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Al Jarreau. Greatest jazz vocalist of all time IMHO. We saw him last year and his voice was great but he was feeble and needed assistance to get on and off stage. A huge talent that will be sadly missed. RIP AJ.

Your opinion is pretty spot on my friend - an amazing talent. We had the opportunity to catch him here several years ago and it was a fabulous show. One of my favorite TV themes is his song from Moonlighting back in the 80s.

He will be missed. RIP
Shakespeare...

No, not the Bard. My goldfish.

Twelve years ago, a dear friend's daughter won a "feeder" goldfish at the local county fair in that dumb game where you spend $10 buying ping pong balls to toss into little bowls to win a ten cent goldfish. The ladies departed back to the mid-west a few days later leaving me with the critter.

I made a promise to the fish that if he lived for 6 months, I'd transfer him from his one gallon bowl to nicer digs. So then to a 3 gallon tank... 10 gallon tank... 20 gallon tank and 10 years later, Shakespeare continued to thrive, despite my occasional neglect. He was always glad to see me (Ooh, ooh.. here's the food guy!) Never bit. Never barked. Never shit on my rug. Grew to 4" of beautiful long tailed koi-like elegance.

He developed a lesion 3 years back that was treated by my daughter's boss (a specialty vet) and came home as good as new. He hung in until a week or so ago when he showed serious signs of distress. I'll bury him in the yard in a safe place.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Al Jarreau. Greatest jazz vocalist of all time IMHO..


High praise for sure.

When I think Greatest jazz singer ever, my mind jumps to Ella, Billie, Sarah, Nina, Torme, Joe Williams and Nat King Cole for his brilliant L-O-V-E album alone.

That said, for male jazz, Al is one of the finest ever for me as well.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Al Jarreau. Greatest jazz vocalist of all time IMHO..


High praise for sure.

When I think Greatest jazz singer ever, my mind jumps to Ella, Billie, Sarah, Nina, Torme, Joe Williams and Nat King Cole for his brilliant L-O-V-E album alone.

That said, for male jazz, Al is one of the finest ever for me as well.

Yep, thinking Ella.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Al Jarreau. Greatest jazz vocalist of all time IMHO..


High praise for sure.

When I think Greatest jazz singer ever, my mind jumps to Ella, Billie, Sarah, Nina, Torme, Joe Williams and Nat King Cole for his brilliant L-O-V-E album alone.

That said, for male jazz, Al is one of the finest ever for me as well.

Just listened again to his version of Spain. So good.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
George "The Animal" Steele. So great in Tim Burton's best movie, Ed Wood.


Been a tough couple weeks for wrestlers. Besides The Animal, Ivan Koloff, Nicole Bass, Marty Prince & Chavo Guerrero all passed away.
Film critic Richard Schickel, whose documentary series, The Men Who Made the Movies (which included a great program on Hitchcock) and had a profound affect on me in the early seventies.
Last edited by The Old Man
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Film critic Richard Schickel, whose documentary series, The Men Who Made the Movies (which included a great program on Hitchcock) and had a major affect effect on me in the early seventies.

You're welcome! Razz

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Film critic Richard Schickel, whose documentary series, The Men Who Made the Movies (which included a great program on Hitchcock) and had a major affect effect on me in the early seventies.

You're welcome! Razz

PH

Red Face
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
George "The Animal" Steele. So great in Tim Burton's best movie, Ed Wood.

As evil as he looked and an expert at making grotesque faces, he always visited The Hospital for Sick Children when he was in Toronto and put smiles on hundreds of faces that otherwise did not have a lot to cheer about while admitted to hospital.
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Larry Coryell - one of the greats


Indeed. I was a huge fan back in the day. I should dust off some of his recordings and honor him.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
Clyde Stubblefield. Probably the funkiest, and most sampled drummer of all time.

Frown
RIP Bill Paxton who passed at 61 from post op complications from heart surgery. My favorite movie of his was Apollo 13, and was also in Aliens & Titanic,
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Bill Paxton at 61 of a surgury problem! Always liked him and of course Big Love. Seemed like a regular guy.

I am so sorry to hear that! I liked most of his work. I think Tresspass with him and William Sadler was an excellent movie and also enjoyed One False Move very much. Frown
I missed that Spielberg's mom, Leah Adler, died last week at 97. Though I've never met a Spielberg movie I've liked, my own recently passed mother did like on occasion to go to her kosher restaurant in the Pico/Robertson area of LA--The Milky Way. Though she certainly didn't need to work, Leah would often be found there running the place.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
RIP Bill Paxton who passed at 61 from post op complications from heart surgery. My favorite movie of his was Apollo 13, and was also in Aliens & Titanic,

I always think of him as the "spook"/used car salesman who was trying to pick up housewife Jaime Curtis in True Lies.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Bill Paxton at 61 of a surgury problem! Always liked him and of course Big Love. Seemed like a regular guy.

I am so sorry to hear that! I liked most of his work. I think Tresspass with him and William Sadler was an excellent movie and also enjoyed One False Move very much. Frown


I forgot we consolidated. Red Face

I loved Chet and Hudson! RIP.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Bill Paxton at 61 of a surgery problem! Always liked him and of course Big Love. Seemed like a regular guy.


+1

A Ft. Worth guy that stayed true to himself in life.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
RIP Bill Paxton who passed at 61 from post op complications from heart surgery. My favorite movie of his was Apollo 13, and was also in Aliens & Titanic,

Very sad.

For those of us that grew up in the 80s, his roles in Weird Science and Aliens are unforgettable.

I really enjoyed his performances in One False Move, Tombstone and A Simple Plan.

RIP.
Loved Bill Paxton as Chet and Private Hudson. Saw a fun fact yesterday that Paxton and Lance Henrickson are the only two actors who were killed on screen by a Terminator, a Predator & and an Alien.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
The great Robert Osborne from TCM.


Very sorry to hear it. I enjoyed his movie introductions very much.
Valerie Carter

A terrific singer who worked with Jackson Browne, Little Feat, James Taylor and numerous others. She was a fixture in James Taylor's touring band for many years. And she had a few very well received solo albums in the 70s.

She sings the harmony parts on one of my favourite Little Feat songs, Long Distance Love.

Heart attack at age 64.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
The great Robert Osborne from TCM.


Very sorry to hear it. I enjoyed his movie introductions very much.


Me too. I was thinking he was looking quite old the last few times I saw him.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Valerie Carter

She sings the harmony parts on one of my favourite Little Feat songs, Long Distance Love.

Heart attack at age 64.


Bummer. Agree with you on Long Distance Love. Great song.

RIP

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The only man to have won world championships on two and four wheels.

John Surtees, a true legend.


A real legend. Met him a couple times at The Glen in '64 finished 2nd and also in the 70's when he ran his TS13 > 19/20 series chassis
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
James Cotton passed away. I'm sure he and Muddy got their mojo working.


+1 He will be missed, but his music is forever.
He was one of the best. Maybe the best. His influence to rock and roll started the craze

Jhonny Be good
Last edited by flwino
Bernie Wrightson

Died of brain cancer at age 68. A name that I expect most here won't know. An immensely talented illustrator with a unique and instantly recognizable style who worked on comic books, illustrations for books, movie posters, album covers, etc.

He collaborated with Stephen King on quite a few projects, but might be best known for his illustrations for an edition of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Google "Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein".
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
best known for his illustrations for an edition of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.


I never saw an illustrated printing, but it is one of my favorite books. It is not at all a horror story; there are no cut up dead bodies. Highly recommended.
Jimmy Breslin who wrote a book whose title fits someone and his minions today perfectly, The Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Jimmy Breslin who wrote a book whose title fits someone and his minions today perfectly, The Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight.



Breslin was an underrated writer, IMHO, a columnist (mainly) whose acerbic wit and very terse style-- almost like Hemmingway in that respect-- was unique and to me very entertaining. Anything that he wrote which I read was enjoyable and usually thought-provoking as well. RIP Mr. Breslin.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Chuck Barris

I believe that Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is the second best movie directed by an actor. An overlooked masterpiece.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Chuck Barris

I believe that Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is the second best movie directed by an actor. An overlooked masterpiece.

A good film. Very enjoyable. In your estimation, what's the best movie directed by an actor.

What's truly weird about Chuck Barris is that I joked with a friend yesterday afternoon that everyone got it wrong: it was Barris who died, not Barry.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
A good film. Very enjoyable. In your estimation, what's the best movie directed by an actor.

A film that steve8 just discovered and enjoyed, Night of the Hunter. Unfortunately it did not get good reviews and was a flop so Charles Laughton never directed again.
Last edited by The Old Man
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
A good film. Very enjoyable. In your estimation, what's the best movie directed by an actor.

A film that steve8 just discovered and enjoyed, Night of the Hunter. Unfortunately it did not get good reviews and was a flop so Charles Laughton never directed again.

I know it well.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Bluesman Lonnie Brooks. A very entertaining showman.


Damn, had not heard this. Always been a fan.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
J. Geils

RIP. Love Stinks, Centerfold and Freeze Frame were integral tracks in my teenage years.
Dorothy Mengering, David Letterman's mother, at the age of 95.

Saddened, I'm sure for David, that today is his birthday.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
RIP Charlie Murphy- cant count how many times you made me laugh watching Chappelle.


+1 RIP
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
RIP Charlie Murphy- cant count how many times you made me laugh watching Chappelle.


Frown RIP Gusto.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
RIP Charlie Murphy- cant count how many times you made me laugh watching Chappelle.


"He took us in the house to serve us pancakes...pancakes."

Game Blouses.

Man he was funny.
RIP Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Lots of great anecdotes about his demeanor. A model for all the sports team owners in how to conduct yourself and run a first class organization.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
RIP Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Lots of great anecdotes about his demeanor. A model for all the sports team owners in how to conduct yourself and run a first class organization.


+1
Noah Salasnek. He changed the whole style of snowboarding in the 90's from really taking park riding to a new level of skate-influenced riding to pushing the limits of what any boarder or skier had ever gone down big mountain riding in AK. His run down super spines TB6 was the most incredible run id ever seen done at the time. Cancer sucks.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Jonathan Demme

Director of Silence of the Lambs, Stop Making Sense and Swimming to Cambodia.

Just heard. Incredible director. Apparently nice guy. RIP.
Sadie, our 12 year old greyhound. Had very aggressive bone cancer and did not respond well to medication. Not the first time we have had to put to sleep a pet, nor was it a surprise, but still emotional to deal with, as I'm sure any pet owner would know. She had a good and long life.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
Sadie, our 12 year old greyhound. Had very aggressive bone cancer and did not respond well to medication. Not the first time we have had to put to sleep a pet, nor was it a surprise, but still emotional to deal with, as I'm sure any pet owner would know. She had a good and long life.

Sorry to read this, TT. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
Sadie, our 12 year old greyhound. Had very aggressive bone cancer and did not respond well to medication. Not the first time we have had to put to sleep a pet, nor was it a surprise, but still emotional to deal with, as I'm sure any pet owner would know. She had a good and long life.

Sorry to read this, TT. Frown

+1 - we lost one of our pups last fall and it's truly heartbreaking. My condolences TT.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
Sadie, our 12 year old greyhound. Had very aggressive bone cancer and did not respond well to medication. Not the first time we have had to put to sleep a pet, nor was it a surprise, but still emotional to deal with, as I'm sure any pet owner would know. She had a good and long life.


Sorry for your loss, our dogs are our lives.
Sorry for your loss. It's always hard to put a pet down. I still get teary-eyed thinking about it for every one of them in my life.
My mother passed away Thursday after a long battle against a slow agonizing degenerative brain disease. For many years doctors gave no answers to why or how things were becoming more difficult for her. Not Alzheimer, but rather a slow gradual brain atrophy that we were finally told (too late) could result from any of several neurological diseases (all of which I had never heard). Despite all of her systems and body functions being affected she fought to retain what she could. She was aware of her condition, which made it more difficult to witness, and was aware of what was happening around her despite not being able to speak at times. She had a lucid conversation with me just a week ago. 1 month ago she was laughing and smiling at her 88th birthday despite having to have everything done for her. Caring for her over the last several years became increasingly difficult and time consuming with 2015 pretty much consumed by caring for her 24/7. In 2016 she went into long term care when it was no longer safe to keep her at home. My father and I visited her daily to spent time with her and to feed her. The last few years have been incredibly difficult, but I am fortunate to have had many bright moments with her along the way. It also brought us closer together. Now that she's gone, I'm happy that she is now at peace but very sad as I miss her dearly, probably more so because of the amount of time spent together while helping her over the last several years. RIP Mom.
Powers Boothe. Was one of the best Philip Marlowes. If you never seen John Boorman's The Emerald Forest, this would be a great time.
Former MLB umpire Steve Palermo. He was shot and paralyzed in 1991, trying to stop a robbery in Texas. I've heard some interviews, and he never sounded bitter about the incident. RIP.
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
RIP thread on Comey...

Was just taken down while I submitted my reply. It had a good run!

Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Oh no! What a shame. RIP

He got Bond through the campy 70's and 80's, so I give him credit.
Moore.... Roger Moore...RIP

Not the best Bond nor the worst (let's not overlook the easily overlooked George Lazenby) but the funniest
Last edited by bomba503
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


My sentiments exactly!
Nicky Hayden, aged 35. The last American World Motorcycle Grand Prix Champion (2006). He made his living racing motorcycles at over 200mph and died after being hit by a car while cycling.
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:
He made his living racing motorcycles at over 200mph


Sorry to hear this, but this couldn't possibly be a surprise.
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:
Nicky Hayden, aged 35. The last American World Motorcycle Grand Prix Champion (2006). He made his living racing motorcycles at over 200mph and died after being hit by a car while cycling.


As a fan and a cyclist it was tough news to hear over last weekend. RIP.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Cortez Kennedy, Seattle Seahawk 1990-2000, & Hall of Fame 2012.
Age 48. No cause has been determined yet.


Outstanding player. I'll be interested to see what caused his death.
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Add Jim Bunning HOF pitcher and ex-senator to the list


A talented man with a long career. Sorry to hear this.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Gregg Allman


quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Bummer was listening to the Allman's yesterday.


RIP Gregg. I also was listening to them last night - SACD's of Eat a Peach and Live at the Fillmore East. The latter is one of the best live albums ever recorded (especially in hi rez Surround which is ideal for live concerts).
Bunning won 100 games in both the AL and NL. He also pitched a no hitter in each league including a perfect game.

The Southern Rock is cranking up above now that the Allmans are together again.
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Cancun:
Roger was James Bond during my formative years, loved his ongoing battles with "Jaws". RIP Roger!


A bit late to this...but Sir Roger Moore was the Best Bond. Don't really get all the praise of Daniel Craig. He's ok...but brings no excitement to the role. For me it's Roger.! RIP!
Was there any praise of Daniel Craig? From anywhere?

Guy has jug ears and his acting consists of pursing his lips. It's as if they couldn't figure out who to get for Bond so they found a mannequin. He really has to be the worst stiff of an actor since Christopher Reeve.
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Was there any praise of Daniel Craig? From anywhere?

Guy has jug ears and his acting consists of pursing his lips. It's as if they couldn't figure out who to get for Bond so they found a mannequin. He really has to be the worst stiff of an actor since Christopher Reeve.

Not untrue, but I think they were going with someone who would look believable in the action sequences. Something Moore, and his stand-ins, did not.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.


George Lazenby and David Niven were much worse than Moore or Dalton for me.
Sorry to hear about Frank DeFord met him many years ago during a fund raiser for cystic fibrosis, a cause close to his heart.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Frank DeFord was a master storyteller. I really enjoyed his writing.


One of the finest, ever.
Roberto De Vicenzo professional golfer from Argentina at the age of 94.

De Vicenzo was best known for signing an incorrect scorecard at the 1968 Masters, signing a card for one stroke higher than he shot. As per the rule, he had to take that score allowing winner Bob Goalby to avoid a playoff with De Vicenzo. His famous quote was "what a stupid I am". He did win 230 tourneys worldwide including the 1967 British Open. Great player.
Bernie Bliden.
Founded Midway Liquors where I buy wine frequently. Now owned by Stan, his son. Grandson works there too.
Back in 1982 they had a Brinks delivery truck drive up with three bottles of 1892 Inglenook Cabernet. Opened them all for a tasting.
Stan has a great palate. He and his wife came over for dinner one night, and he brought a 1982 Cheyval Blanc.
Bernie was 94 or so.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.


George Lazenby and David Niven were much worse than Moore or Dalton for me.


Maybe we differ on that one. David Niven was a spoof so I don't count him. As for Lazenby, he was fresh into acting and would likely have improved on some points. At least he knew how to throw a punch. Moore's fight scenes were cartoonish at best, maybe due to Moore's inability or maybe due to the direction of the franchise. In other ways Moore was quite good. Dalton is the one that comes to mind as having no redeeming quality as Bond.
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity. Has also donated heavily to, and founded programs, dedicated to oceanography and protecting aquatic life.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.

hard to argue that... but O'Neill helped bring surfing to places that weren't dominated by 300 days of sunshine and warm currents.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.


George Lazenby and David Niven were much worse than Moore or Dalton for me.


Maybe we differ on that one. David Niven was a spoof so I don't count him. As for Lazenby, he was fresh into acting and would likely have improved on some points. At least he knew how to throw a punch. Moore's fight scenes were cartoonish at best, maybe due to Moore's inability or maybe due to the direction of the franchise. In other ways Moore was quite good. Dalton is the one that comes to mind as having no redeeming quality as Bond.

Perhaps we should move the Bond stuff here.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.

hard to argue that... but O'Neill helped bring surfing to places that weren't dominated by 300 days of sunshine and warm currents.


The difference being O'niell was an innovator who enriched the activity whereas the Beach Boys are regarded as posers and the reason for the greatest influx of kooks, second only to, arguably, Gidget.
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.

hard to argue that... but O'Neill helped bring surfing to places that weren't dominated by 300 days of sunshine and warm currents.


The difference being O'niell was an innovator who enriched the activity whereas the Beach Boys are regarded as posers and the reason for the greatest influx of kooks, second only to, arguably, Gidget.


But it was Duke Kahanamoku who was instrumental in making surfing so popular.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
RIP Jimmy Piersall


For some reason I thought he had died years ago.

I recall the movie about him when I was a boy.
Jimmy Piersall:
He was a strange guy, with manic-depressive illness. When he hit his 100th career home run, he ran the bases in the correct order, but ran backwards.
Stole over 100 bases in his career.
Adnan Khashoggi

I still remember as a little kid being in awe of his yacht berthed in Puerto Banús when I was there with my parents. Guards walking around with uzis in their hands.

Obviously I was so smitten with the uzis and the yacht (I was eight...) I was allowed on to get a tour with my mom while my dad had to stay on the dock with two armed guards.

He might have sold a lot of guns that killed a lot of people but he had a nice boat and let an eight year old walk around with an (unloaded) uzi while getting a tour... Good times...
Rob,

Was this the yacht?

His yacht, the Nabila, named for his only daughter, was a floating pleasure palace and was used in the 1983 James Bond film “Never Say Never Again” starring Sean Connery – an occasional guest at Khashoggi’s soirees.

IW
I'm pretty sure it was. That yacht eventually made it's way to Trump and is now owned by Saudi prince who runs Kingdom Holdings.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Adnan Khashoggi

I still remember as a little kid being in awe of his yacht berthed in Puerto Banús when I was there with my parents. Guards walking around with uzis in their hands.

Obviously I was so smitten with the uzis and the yacht (I was eight...) I was allowed on to get a tour with my mom while my dad had to stay on the dock with two armed guards.

He might have sold a lot of guns that killed a lot of people but he had a nice boat and let an eight year old walk around with an (unloaded) uzi while getting a tour... Good times...


Among his many other ventures, Adnan Khashoggi was a stock market manipulator and swindler.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Glenne Headly. Made everything I saw her in better. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is in my top 15 comedies of all time.


I would love to know your "top 10."
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Adam West--Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah...Batman.


+1

KaPOW ...WHAM....BAM!...'Quick, to the Batmobile Robin..'
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Carrie Fisher.

Tough year...

PH


Her autopsy reveals she had cocaine, opiates, ecstasy , alcohol and exposure to heroin in her system and the cause of death is listed as sleep apnea with other factors.

Umm, yes there were other factors.
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Stephen Furst, "Flounder" Dorfman from Animal House, age 62. Complications from diabetes.
Dorfman


bummer, loved Animal House

Terrific as Elliot Axelrod in St. Elsewhere
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.


you continue to amaze me
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.


you continue to amaze me

+1. I sometimes wonder if Rob's wife knows how much he knows.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.


you continue to amaze me

+1. I sometimes wonder if Rob's wife knows how much he knows.


Do you wonder if she's even around for his Thursday night shindigs? Big Grin Big Grin
DDL acting career Frown

The greatest screen actor of my lifetime and debatably of all time.

I hope he finds happiness doing whatever else (shoe cobbling?) he chooses.
I know I'm going to be castrated for this Big Grin but while no questions a brilliant actor, I just didn't enjoy the majority of his films.

Ducking for cover....
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I know I'm going to be castrated for this Big Grin but while no questions a brilliant actor, I just didn't enjoy the majority of his films.

Ducking for cover....

You're not the only one - I respect the talent but haven't enjoyed much of the output.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I know I'm going to be castrated for this Big Grin but while no questions a brilliant actor, I just didn't enjoy the majority of his films.

Ducking for cover....


Totally agree!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I thought he was excellent in Gangs of New York. Not much else.

That's the one film of his I couldn't stomach. Also one of the few Scorsese films I didn't like.

I loved him in The Age of Innocence, although I know very few people who liked that film.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I thought he was excellent in Gangs of New York. Not much else.

That's the one film of his I couldn't stomach. Also one of the few Scorsese films I didn't like.

I loved him in The Age of Innocence, although I know very few people who liked that film.

In the Name of the Father !! (Though Pete Postlewthwaite far surpassed him in it)

The Last of the Mohicans!!

My Left Foot

A Room with a View
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.


Amphetamines are often in ecstasy.

I've never seen heroin (opiate) in ecstasy. I've run plenty of tox screens on patients too.

Pharmacologically speaking, ecstasy and amphetamines can mix well for the partier. Heroin...not so much..a bit of an opposite effect for the dancer crowd.

Bfw
Last edited by bfw
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Bill Dana, age 92.
Great comedian. WWII veteran with a Bronze Star.

RIP Jose Jimenez...
Michael Nyqvist -- 56 years old

Actor. Perhaps best known for his role as Michael Blomkvist in the original Swedish Dragon Tattoo film series.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Michael Nyqvist -- 56 years old

Actor. Perhaps best known for his role as Michael Blomkvist in the original Swedish Dragon Tattoo film series.


I liked those films. He looked older than his 56 years.
Dave Semenko. I'll always remember being a little boy and watching him punching some poor guy while telling him "you don't hit Mr. Gretzky." after a hard check.
Maryam Mirzakhani, brilliant mathematician at age of 40 (cancer). Only woman ever to win the Fields Medal.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
George Romero - only 77


perhaps we may see him tomorrow!


Zombie Apocalypse!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Martin Landau.

Damn. Mission Impossible, Bela Lugosi, Bob Ryan on Entourage and his classic line, "Is that something I could interest you in?"...

Also loved him in Crimes and Misdemeanors and in Tucker: The Man and His Dream.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Martin Landau.

Damn. Mission Impossible, Bela Lugosi, Bob Ryan on Entourage and his classic line, "Is that something I could interest you in?"...

Also loved him in Crimes and Misdemeanors and in Tucker: The Man and His Dream.


Umm, Sunny... North by Northwest!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Martin Landau.

Damn. Mission Impossible, Bela Lugosi, Bob Ryan on Entourage and his classic line, "Is that something I could interest you in?"...

Also loved him in Crimes and Misdemeanors and in Tucker: The Man and His Dream.


Umm, Sunny... North by Northwest!

Oh man! Only my favourite Hitchcock film. There's a story behind NXNW and me. One that VinT might understand. It has to do with a certain Haliburton vacation lodge in the 1960s.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Martin Landau.

Damn. Mission Impossible, Bela Lugosi, Bob Ryan on Entourage and his classic line, "Is that something I could interest you in?"...

Also loved him in Crimes and Misdemeanors and in Tucker: The Man and His Dream.


Umm, Sunny... North by Northwest!

Oh man! Only my favourite Hitchcock film. There's a story behind NXNW and me. One that VinT might understand. It has to do with a certain Haliburton vacation lodge in the 1960s.


Wink One of the Top 100 films of all time!
My grandparents owned a lodge in Haliburton (cottage country north of Toronto) from 1950 until the early 1970s. Friday night was movie night. They would rent films and screen them in the main lodge for the guests. I think they were 16mm prints; I can't imagine they got 35mm copies. I just recall that the films came in multiple canisters.

The screening of NxNW circa 1964-65 is burned into my memory banks, mostly because of the impact the film had on my 7 or 8-year-old psyche – I'd never seen anything that imaginative –– but also because the film kept breaking every 15 minutes, usually right in the middle of a tense scene.
quote:
Originally posted by mdsphoto:
Loved Mating Landau had forgotten he was in Tucker, great movie. No love for Space 1999?

That's what I was thinking. Not mentioned at all in any of the articles I've read about him. Starred with his then wife, Barbara Bain. The episodes were kind of hokey, but they always acted the hell out of them as if they were written by Shakespeare. Loved the score, too.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Domenico Clerico


Sad news. Not a huge fan of Barolo, but have always loved his wines.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Domenico Clerico


Sad news. Not a huge fan of Barolo, but have always loved his wines.

Damn. I was just talking about him with some of the TO crew at VinT's the other week and I pulled out the photo I took with him during out visit in 2014. Spending a few hours conversing with him (with the young winemaker at Clerico translating) was one of the highlights of the trip. Domenico kept grabbing bottles and refilling everyone's glasses. A lovely man.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Domenico Clerico


Sad news. Not a huge fan of Barolo, but have always loved his wines.

Damn. I was just talking about him with some of the TO crew at VinT's the other week and I pulled out the photo I took with him during out visit in 2014. Spending a few hours conversing with him (with the young winemaker at Clerico translating) was one of the highlights of the trip. Domenico kept grabbing bottles and refilling everyone's glasses. A lovely man.

Sad to hear of his passing.
RIP Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park. I haven't listened to much since Hybrid Theory...but man this is too soon. 41 yrs old....not too far removed from Chris Cornells's suicide we have another Frown

He was friends with Chris Cornell...and today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday Wow
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
RIP Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park. I haven't listened to much since Hybrid Theory...but man this is too soon. 41 yrs old....not too far removed from Chris Cornells's suicide we have another Frown

He was friends with Chris Cornell...and today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday Wow


I saw him perform a bit over 2 years ago as the replacement singer for Scott Weiland in STP after they kicked Scott out. Wow, that makes two of their singers dead within 2 years.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
RIP Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park. I haven't listened to much since Hybrid Theory...but man this is too soon. 41 yrs old....not too far removed from Chris Cornells's suicide we have another Frown

He was friends with Chris Cornell...and today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday Wow

I was pretty bummed to hear about this. I listened to a lot of their music in my 20's, and even though I got away from them with their last couple albums, their older stuff is always in my rotation. I always thought he had one of the best rock voices out there.