quote:
Originally posted by Maverick:
All I did was post a news story. NO personal commentary, personal opinions or personal statements. It was pretty much just a plain vanilla factual documentation.

my comment wasn't directed at you in any way, it was directed at world leaders, reporters and public people who said good things about Castro. Any good he did was far outweighed by the bad things he did.
quote:
All I did was post a news story. NO personal commentary, personal opinions or personal statements. It was pretty much just a plain vanilla factual documentation.

Seriously? That would be LOL funny if it was not such bullshit.

First, you did not post it as a news story as no credit was given. Also, if you wanted to post a news link there are many to link to that offered a more informed and honest picture of the man.

By posting what you did and not offering any comment about the blatantly obvious missing facts of his life says volumes about you.

Jorge, thank you for your post and I can only imagine the feelings within your family and community today.
Why the mainstream media stated anything positive about Castro is baffling. Then again, maybe it is expected since they are in the tank for the liberals. Objective journalism is dead. Castro was a horrible man who committed tons of atrocities upon his people. It is that simple.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Seriously? That would be LOL funny if it was not such bullshit.

First, you did not post it as a news story as no credit was given. Also, if you wanted to post a news link there are many to link to that offered a more informed and honest picture of the man.

By posting what you did and not offering any comment about the blatantly obvious missing facts of his life says volumes about you.

Jorge, thank you for your post and I can only imagine the feelings within your family and community today.

I was going to post a rejoinder to Maverick's lame response, but w+a pretty much nailed what I was going to say. Posting Catro's death without any perspective is tantamount to a neutral, if not positive assessment of his life and the effects of his rule.

And Maverick, you're obviously a bright cat. Can you write your own copy, or is "cut and paste" your default for anything other than telling people to f--- off?

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
And Maverick, you're obviously a bright cat. Can you write your own copy, or is "cut and paste" your default for anything other than telling people to f--- off?

PH

This is what he does--he did it also with Ron Glass, but for the first time I think he credited the source. I think we can all read stories ourselves; I think the idea of a forum like this is to express one's own views and opinions.
Seriously? When did any bulletin board forum become a site of real literary resource? I don't have to give any credit to anyone. I never put my name on anything. NO ... "I believe ...", NO "In my opinion ...", NO "I think ... I feel ...", NOTHING. I JUST POSTED A NEWS STORY. Some of you all just like to needlessly bitch about foolish things.

FACTUAL DOCUMENTATION. Whether you like it or not ... everything in the original post was a simple fact. All vanilla. Not good bad or ugly. You know why I didn't post a link??? BECAUSE I JUST DIDN'T. That's why. If you want to take any volumes about anything of me from this then just go ahead. You'll find it relatively boring.

I didn't make any lame response either. I had no personal thoughts. Cut and paste suited the situation just fine. I didn't tell anyone to fuck off. I will say however, that I think it's pretty sissy to put in the "---" to try somehow to soften any vocabulary.
quote:
Seriously? When did any bulletin board forum become a site of real literary resource?

Just on the off-chance that this is a serious question, I will posit that it began before 2001 or 2002. Our local university began using bulletin boards regularly in those two years to promote intra-class discussion for students enrolled in Master's programs for English, as well as undergraduate English Honours classes, so these bulletin boards became real literary resources. I'm fairly certain that this format was used by other universities in previous years as well, since UBC isn't generally considered to be the cutting edge of technology in education.

I rarely know the answer to any question, so now I'm feeling quite smug and almost knowledgeable for having finally been able to supply one. Smile

And on an unrelated note: Mav, you thrive on controversy, just as you did in your previous posting persona. I'm not being critical, merely stating that your posts don't go unnoticed, and you're well aware of it.
quote:
quote:
All I did was post copy and paste a copyrighted news story. A guy brutal dictator and avowed enemy of the US died, and I posted it as though he was just another guy.

There, I think that covers it. Wink

PH

Yup
quote:
quote:
All I did was post copy and paste a copyrighted news story. A guy brutal dictator and avowed enemy of the US died, and I posted it as though he was just another guy.

There, I think that covers it. Wink

PH

Well done G
quote:
Jim Delligatti, the creator of the Big Mac.

I remember when the Big Mac was first released. I was 12 years old and it was such a big deal that a buddy and I rode our bikes 5-6 miles to try one. I ended up eating 3 of them.

PH

Amateur!
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:

I remember when the Big Mac was first released. I was 12 years old and it was such a big deal that a buddy and I rode our bikes 5-6 miles to try one. I ended up eating 3 of them.

PH

Paired with a fine NV Coke?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I did!

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Jim Delligatti, the creator of the Big Mac.

PH

Amateur!

Yeah.. but then we rode to the sub place where we each had a 12" steak and provolone. Then rode home just in time for dinner!

Ahh, to be 12 again.

PH
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
John Glenn.

I am so sorry to see this. A modern day pioneer who went into politics.

As the Boston Globe said "Twice an astronaut, four times elected to the Senate, once a presidential candidate, 149 times a combat bomber pilot and forever an American symbol and hero"
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
quote:
John Glenn.

I am so sorry to see this. A modern day pioneer who went into politics.

As the Boston Globe said "Twice an astronaut, four times elected to the Senate, once a presidential candidate, 149 times a combat bomber pilot and forever an American symbol and hero"

A real hero
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:

A beautiful epitaph for a great man. Thanks for posting that, Rob.

RIP
quote:
Godspeed, John Glenn.

A real personal loss for me. I knew him and know his wife, Annie. I'm of of age where he was my idol as a kid. I was very fortunate to have the chance to get to know him a little bit. In times where heroes are designated from the sport and entertainment world so often, he was a true hero and an inspiration to so many.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Glenn was a true American hero...

When we were kids, we'd each pick an astronaut that we wanted to be. For some weird reason, I was the only one of my "gang" who wanted to be JG. We'd drag one of those old stinky corrugated trashcans to the playground to use as a space capsule. We'd climb in, folding ourselves up to fit inside and someone would put the lid on. A couple of kids would grab the handles and shake the hell out of us to simulate lift-off, and then we'd hang out in the damn thing for a while pretending to be an astronaut. Then, usually a couple of the "big" kids would toss the trash can a few feet to simulate re-entry and we'd climb out smelling like garbage and stale beer. Fun stuff!

I proudly told Annie this story the first time I met her and I was SO psyched that she laughed quite hard to hear about my hero-worship of her husband.

She then told me a story about a game she and John played a when they were young kids. She said they pulled two chaise longues side by side and held hands pretending that they were flying! How fucking cool is that?

I've got a few more John and Annie stories, but they only get told over a glass of wine. Or schnapps.

PH
quote:
Glenn was a true American hero.

He is one of two men to have two ticker tape parades in New York City (believe they call it through the canyons). The other was the great Bobby Jones.

What a life this hero had! Rest easy.
quote:
quote:
Godspeed, John Glenn.

A real personal loss for me. I knew him and know his wife, Annie. I'm of of age where he was my idol as a kid. I was very fortunate to have the chance to get to know him a little bit. In times where heroes are designated from the sport and entertainment world so often, he was a true hero and an inspiration to so many.

PH

I thought I recalled you had business dealings with him.
quote:
quote:
Glenn was a true American hero...

When we were kids, we'd each pick an astronaut that we wanted to be. For some weird reason, I was the only one of my "gang" who wanted to be JG. We'd drag one of those old stinky corrugated trashcans to the playground to use as a space capsule. We'd climb in, folding ourselves up to fit inside and someone would put the lid on. A couple of kids would grab the handles and shake the hell out of us to simulate lift-off, and then we'd hang out in the damn thing for a while pretending to be an astronaut. Then, usually a couple of the "big" kids would toss the trash can a few feet to simulate re-entry and we'd climb out smelling like garbage and stale beer. Fun stuff!

I proudly told Annie this story the first time I met her and I was SO psyched that she laughed quite hard to hear about my hero-worship of her husband.

She then told me a story about a game she and John played a when they were young kids. She said they pulled two chaise longues side by side and held hands pretending that they were flying! How fucking cool is that?

I've got a few more John and Annie stories, but they only get told over a glass of wine. Or schnapps.

PH

That's a great story, I don't know if they make them like him anymore.
Very strange that the 3 people that have just passed away intersected my life in very small ways at different points of my life.

A childhood friend's older brother was big into music and two of the artists/bands that he introduced us to where Todd Rundgren and ELP. Loved ELP and hadn't listened to them that much for years until I purchased a new car a few years ago that had SirrusXM. They play a lot of ELP and I had rediscovered my enjoyment of the band.

Salaam was a first round pick of the Bears and I remember being so excited when they drafted him. He never did really pan out with the Bears, but so sad he's died so young.

Obviously growing up I knew of John Glenn, but Neil and Buzz where the astronauts of my youth. I don't think it was until I moved to Ohio 15+ years ago that I really gained appreciation for Mr. Glenn. He had an amazing life and has impacted many greatly.
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
RIP, John Glenn. Anyone who's familiar with how frequently the Atlas rocket was failing catastrophically in those days would understand just how brave John and the other Mercury astronauts were.

My father was an engineer who worked on the Mercury and Gemini projects.

We went to the Kennedy Space Center and he walked us through the building that was dedicated to the early space flight programs. The stories he told were pretty amazing.

The astronauts who volunteered to fly those rockets were truly heroes.

RIP John Glenn.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
RIP, John Glenn. Anyone who's familiar with how frequently the Atlas rocket was failing catastrophically in those days would understand just how brave John and the other Mercury astronauts were.

My father was an engineer who worked on the Mercury and Gemini projects.

We went to the Kennedy Space Center and he walked us through the building that was dedicated to the early space flight programs. The stories he told were pretty amazing.

The astronauts who volunteered to fly those rockets were truly heroes.

RIP John Glenn.

+1
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Alan Thicke. Reportedly of a heart attack while playing hockey.

A Canadian death if there ever was one. RIP.

Just heard him interviewed on Q last week, sounding like life was terrific. Sorry to hear of his passing.
quote:
Dr. Henry J. Heimlich

PH

In 1982 just two weeks after the Heimlich maneuver was shown on network TV I saved my baby brother's life from choking on a gob stopper given without supervision. And my family doctor was also a Heimlich. The name is synonymous with life... RIP!
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Rick Parfitt of Status Quo. 2016 has been rough.

Bill -

I believe Status Quo was the opening act at Live Aid in 1985 (Wembley Stadium).

Francis and Rick were supposed to have much more prevalent singing parts in Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas, but they both arrived at the studio stoned and drunk. They sounded so awful that their singing parts were given to other artists. They did manage, however, to provide plenty of entertainment for everyone else.
pretty sad and pretty remarkable.
I think that there are way more famous people these days, and that is one reason we hear of all of these deaths of famous people. Tons of movie stars, entertainers, ballplayers, politicians, scientists, and so forth.
I don't have any scientific data to back this up...just a feeling I have.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I think that there are way more famous people these days, and that is one reason we hear of all of these deaths of famous people. Tons of movie stars, entertainers, ballplayers, politicians, scientists, and so forth.

Maybe some truth to this in 30+years when today's "new famous" start croaking. Not today, though.

Prince
Bowie
George Michael (no matter what I personally think of his music)
Carrie Fisher
Debbie Reynolds
Leonard Cohen
Gene Wilder

Are not part of this possible trend.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:

Maybe some truth to this in 30+years when today's "new famous" start croaking. Not today, though.

Prince
Bowie
Carrie Fisher
Debbie Reynolds
Leonard Cohen
Gene Wilder

Don't forget Muhammad Ali, Gordie Howe, and Arnold Palmer, who were pioneers in their sports.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:

Prince
Bowie
Carrie Fisher
Debbie Reynolds
Leonard Cohen
Gene Wilder

Don't forget Muhammad Ali, Gordie Howe, and Arnold Palmer, who were pioneers in their sports.
Don't remember ever a year with so many well known and talented people passing!
quote:

Are you a physicist?

Far from it! I read a bit, at least what I can understand. She did her doctoral work at Georgetown and her first job was at the Applied Physics Lab at Hopkins, so there's a little local connection with her for our area. An amazing woman who had a lot of barriers to overcome. RIP.

PH
was thinking..... Yes, lots of famous people died. Sports figures, entertainment figures, Nobel Prize winners, etc.
But, many people who were good people, important to their families, not famous, died as well. About 100,000 Syrians, many of whom were children and most of whom were non-combatants.

In the US, about 500 people were murdered in Chicago, 300 or so in Baltimore. 35,000 died in car wrecks, which are up this past year due to more driving and more distracted driving. Very few killed by foreign inspired terrorist organizations, but we go crazy when that type of event occurs.
Anyway, let's all try to be safe in 2017.
quote:
quote:

Are you a physicist?

Far from it! I read a bit, at least what I can understand. She did her doctoral work at Georgetown and her first job was at the Applied Physics Lab at Hopkins, so there's a little local connection with her for our area. An amazing woman who had a lot of barriers to overcome. RIP.

PH

Yes, RIP.

I am not a physicist either but go birding with a physicist at Fermilab now and again. Always an interesting conversation to be had.
2016 may have seemed bad, but I think it may be a portent of things to come. I think you are going to see a lot of notable deaths going forward. The Baby-Boom generation was huge. Since WW-II, the entertainment industry (sports included) flourished, scientific advances exploded, there has been an exponential increase in media coverage to tell us about it, and we all have more leisure time to pay attention. But now the Baby Boom generation is at the age where the they start dying off (no offense intended to you old farts on the Forums Wink).

Don't be surprised to see the 2017 list of notable deaths to be just as long, or longer.
quote:
William Christopher, who played Father Mulcahy on MASH. 2017 can't get here soon enough

I've been watching re-runs of MASH recently, so that one was like a kick in the teeth. 2016's final bird-flip to us all as the year expired.
Not a person, but a place:

Venerable Toronto folk, blues and roots club Hugh's Room has closed its doors due to insolvency. Very sad news for the live music scene here. I've seen so many amazing shows over the years at that club. Eliza Gilkyson, Shelby Lynne, Marc Cohn, David Lindley, Wailin' Jennys, John Prine...
quote:
Nat Hentoff. I enjoyed his work in the WSJ and The New Yorker. He would always stir things up and you always knew where he stood.

A man that understood and loved jazz passionately as well.

Respected by conservatives, even if they disagreed with his views.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Nat Hentoff. I enjoyed his work in the WSJ and The New Yorker. He would always stir things up and you always knew where he stood.

A man that understood and loved jazz passionately as well.

Respected by conservatives, even if they disagreed with his views.

Oh, for sure. He had a number of conservative views as well as liberal. He was not tribal which is FAR TOO rare these days. Mad

I'm the same ( non-tribal) so I will never have a candidate running I'm afraid that I can fully support.
quote:
I'm the same ( non-tribal) so I will never have a candidate running I'm afraid that I can fully support.

Beware any voter who totally supports their candidate. It just means they haven't really examined their positions.

Now, if the voter IS the candidate, and they don't totally support their views, well... beware that candidate!

PH
The curtain is coming down on the most celebrated circus in the US, the "Greatest Show on Earth", run by Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey.

After 146 years in the business, the owners said declining tickets sales and high operating costs were to blame.

Enjoyed the shows. A bit Hokey but fun
quote:
Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, my favorite wrestler growing up.

Wow, I didn't think anyone else remembered him. I used to watch him as a kid on Big Time Wrestling out of Portland, OR, featuring Snuka, The Iron Sheik, Jesse Ventura, and "Playboy" Buddy Rose, among others.
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
The curtain is coming down on the most celebrated circus in the US, the "Greatest Show on Earth", run by Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey.

After 146 years in the business, the owners said declining tickets sales and high operating costs were to blame.

Well, now Donald Trump has a larger pool to choose from for his cabinet.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:

Well, now Donald Trump has a larger pool to choose from for his cabinet.

Classic, mneely, I laughed out loud at this.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
Dick Gautier - great comedic character actor popped up in many childhood favorites

Sorry to hear of his death, but a great comedic actor? Not in my estimation.

Not many people could have pulled off his epic role as Hymie The Robot on Get Smart!
quote:
Agreed but did not say he was great comedic actor. I said comedic "character" actor. Guess you missed that detail.

No matter what type of actor you call him, "great" is far from my opinion. Poor to mediocre would be my estimation. You're much more easily pleased than I am. Calling him a great comedic actor is a disservice to those that are.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Dick Gautier

Did he ever appear on Star Trek?

In addition to Get Smart he had his only staring TV role in the short lived Mel Brooks series When Things were Rotten (a spoof on Robin Hood I actually remember. Also assorted bit parts on Bewitched, Alice, Fantasy Island, Knight Rider, Quincy, Trapper John MD, Happy Days, Charlie's Angels, Love Boat, Night Stalker, Marcus welby, Rockford Files, Mary Tyler Moore, Banacek (loved that show), Love American Style, Flying Nun and Gidget among others but no Star Trek. He was also a very talented and in demand voice over actor for many cartoons, an author, game show regular and stand up comedian. Last but not least his other signature role was in the Tony nominated Bye, Bye Birdie (a favorite of my mother's) as the star Conrad Birdie.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Dick Gautier

In addition to Get Smart he had his only staring TV role in the short lived Mel Brooks series When Things were Rotten (a spoof on Robin Hood I actually remember. Also assorted bit parts on Bewitched, Alice, Fantasy Island, Knight Rider, Quincy, Trapper John MD, Happy Days, Charlie's Angels, Love Boat, Night Stalker, Marcus welby, Rockford Files, Mary Tyler Moore, Banacek (loved that show), Love American Style, Flying Nun and Gidget among others but no Star Trek. He was also a very talented and in demand voice over actor for many cartoons, an author, game show regular and stand up comedian. Last but not least his other signature role was in the Tony nominated Bye, Bye Birdie (a favorite of my mother's) as the star Conrad Birdie.

It was a joke - I thought it might explain Board-O's reaction Big Grin knowing how much he loves all things Star Trek
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Dick Gautier

It was a joke - I thought it might explain Board-O's reaction Big Grin knowing how much he loves all things Star Trek

LOL surprised I didn't catch on to that. Good one
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
RIP Miguel Ferrer, who died at the age of 61. Of all his accomplishments I will remember him for playing the character of Lloyd Henreid in the mini-series version of Stephen King's The Stand.

And his role as Albert Rosenfield in Twin Peaks.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
RIP Miguel Ferrer, who died at the age of 61. Of all his accomplishments I will remember him for playing the character of Lloyd Henreid in the mini-series version of Stephen King's The Stand.

Robocop - naturally - son of Jose Ferrer - also a great actor who was on virtually every show in the 70s and 80s
quote:
quote:
quote:

Robocop - naturally - son of Jose Ferrer - also a great actor who was on virtually every show in the 70s and 80s

Apparently he was also in Star Trek III - the Search for Spock
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep. The ultimate yuppie in Robocop. Aside from Christian Bale in American Psycho, of course.
quote:

I loved his performance in Hot Shots: Part Deux. Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Apparently he was also in Star Trek III - the Search for Spock

Good guy too. I bumped into him at a local bar in La Jolla when he was around for filming of the movie "Traffic". What surprised me is I imagined him as a small weaselly guy based upon his roles I had seen. In person he was solidly built and a good 6 foot
quote:
quote:
Agreed but did not say he was great comedic actor. I said comedic "character" actor. Guess you missed that detail.

No matter what type of actor you call him, "great" is far from my opinion. Poor to mediocre would be my estimation. You're much more easily pleased than I am. Calling him a great comedic actor is a disservice to those that are.

Your boorish behaviour never ceases to amaze me. A man has passed away. Offer condolences to his family... share an anecdote about the person...say nothing if you nothing nice to say.
quote:
Originally posted by Duojet:
quote:
quote:

Your boorish behaviour never ceases to amaze me. A man has passed away. Offer condolences to his family... share an anecdote about the person...say nothing if you nothing nice to say.

I guess you missed my initial response: "Sorry to hear of his death, but a great comedic actor? Not in my estimation." I see no reason to praise him just because he died. Please write your advice to me down on a large piece of rough cardboard and store it for me.
quote:
quote:
Mary Tyler Moore. The Dick Van Dyke Show and then her own MTM Show.

Great comedienne. Female tense?

Loved her shows. A great talent

Another huge loss. The MTM Show was another childhood favorite with a great ensemble cast of characters backed by top notch writing. They dont make them like that anymoreFrown
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mary Tyler Moore. The Dick Van Dyke Show and then her own MTM Show.

Great comedienne. Female tense?

Loved her shows. A great talent

Another huge loss. The MTM Show was another childhood favorite with a great ensemble cast of characters backed by top notch writing. They dont make them like that anymoreFrown

both Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore shows were great.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Well, our little 14 1/2 yr angel, Angel, passed over the rainbow bridge this morning.

Sorry, Pinotlvr...

Agree with Board-O. My last dog died ten years ago, and I still miss her. Get a puppy when the sad feelings wane. Nothing like a puppy licking your face to cheer you up.

PH
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Well, our little 14 1/2 yr angel, Angel, passed over the rainbow bridge this morning.

Sorry, Pinotlvr...

Agree with Board-O. My last dog died ten years ago, and I still miss her. Get a puppy when the sad feelings wane. Nothing like a puppy licking your face to cheer you up.

PH

Thanks all...and yes, no doubt, I'm sure there will be another in the future..might be good for wife's birthday in September. The house will seem pretty quiet now without Angel ruling the roost.

I thought I was a cat person for the longest time, but also realize I might not want to risk our leather furniture to cats. But there is certainly something special between a human and dog for sure!
Bad week for dogs. Our daughter took her grandmothers ( my wife's mom) dog when she died over two years ago. The dog died this week and it took our entire family back emotionally two years when mom/grandmother passed.

Our pets are truly part of the family in so many ways.

Pinot, sorry for your loss.
quote:
quote:
Butch Trucks

Drummer and co-founder of Allman Brothers Band. A nice guy, I met him a few times down here.

Followup: Apparently a suicide. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Yeah, no kidding. Condolences to his friends and family.
Mike Connors

Within the last few months, I was flipping channels and found Mannix on some channel. It was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid, so I decided to watch a couple of episodes. A far cry from what is on TV these days, but I thought it actually held up fairly well. Fight scenes were a bit hokey looking, but overall it held up better than other series from that time that I've seen later in my adult life. And Joe Mannix was still cool.
quote:
John Hurt

For me his most memorable performance was as The Elephant Man, but I also have a soft spot for his role as The Storyteller in the late 1980s Jim Henson TV series The Storyteller.

Now where will I buy my wand?!

I always loved everything I saw him in.
quote:
John Hurt

For me his most memorable performance was as The Elephant Man, but I also have a soft spot for his role as The Storyteller in the late 1980s Jim Henson TV series The Storyteller.

With all the great roles he played, I think it says something wrong about me that his one performance (other than Alien) that really sticks out in my mind was this one.
quote:
John Hurt

A talented actor who played a wide range of characters, but his giving birth on the table in Alien is the image I will retain of him.
quote:
John Hurt

War Doctor on Doctor Who
Ollivander in the Harry Potter movies

And his most apt role given current events - High Chancellor Adam Sutler in V for Vendetta
quote:
John Hurt

Any Tolkien fans reading this thread might recall that he was the voice of Aragorn in Ralph Bakshi's Lord Of The Rings.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
John Hurt

Any Tolkien fans reading this thread might recall that he was the voice of Aragorn in Ralph Bakshi's Lord Of The Rings.

And the voice of Hazel, in Watership Down. One of the most heartfelt of animated films.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
John Hurt

And the voice of Hazel, in Watership Down. One of the most heartfelt of animated films.

Having watched it when I was a small child, I would call it nightmare inducing more than heartfelt - but I don't disagree
For the second time in 6 weeks, a friend from what I call my "age-peer group". Most recently a former co-worker after being in the hospital 9 months with multiple ailments, and prior to that a friend of 28 years to her second war with cancer. One has a daughter in college, and the other left behind two in college. A good reminder to show appreciation for those you care about when you have the chance.
quote:

Having watched it when I was a small child, I would call it nightmare inducing more than heartfelt - but I don't disagree[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's definitely not a child's movie, more like young teen.
quote:
My mother Minette aka Mickey--88. What a ride she had. Never would have moved to CA if she hadn't "grown up" and left Chicago when she was 50. Also the reason I'm into art, film and reading.

TOM, please accept my condolences. I'm sorry for that loss.
quote:
My mother Minette aka Mickey--88. What a ride she had. Never would have moved to CA if she hadn't "grown up" and left Chicago when she was 50. Also the reason I'm into art, film and reading.

Sorry to hear, TOM. Sounds like she had a good run. Condolences to you and yours.

PHG
quote:

Sorry for your loss. Will keep you and your family in our prayers.
quote:

Condolences. Sounds like an amazing woman
quote:
quote:

Condolences. Sounds like an amazing woman
+1
quote:

I'm so sorry to hear this, and please accept our condolences. But I'm glad to hear that she lived a rich, full life!

Add Reply

Likes (0)