quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
RIP Trump wouldn't make me sad. Preferably before the convention.


I can't wait til he wins!


You Can't Vote for him
You Don't have to live under him

So other than brain dead - WHY??

PS: Keep it cool so Mr. Taylor won't blow this away Big Grin
OK, time to blow up this thread. Smile

I've been wondering, assuming that Trump and Clinton are the nominees, how badly does Donald lose?

Nobody could ever approach Jefferson's winning percentage, but I'm thinking that Hillary could challenge for the #2 slot given all of the gifts that Donald brings. Among female voters, could Donald get 25%? Latino voters?

What do you think?
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
OK, time to blow up this thread. Smile

I've been wondering, assuming that Trump and Clinton are the nominees, how badly does Donald lose?

Nobody could ever approach Jefferson's winning percentage, but I'm thinking that Hillary could challenge for the #2 slot given all of the gifts that Donald brings. Among female voters, could Donald get 25%? Latino voters?

What do you think?

Do not take the bait.
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
You Can't Vote for him
You Don't have to live under him

So other than brain dead - WHY??

PS: Keep it cool so Mr. Taylor won't blow this away Big Grin


Yeah, the leader of the free world doesn't affect the rest of us at all...what was I thinking?
Just heard from a friend yesterday that Paloma matriarch Barbara Richards passed. I only had the pleasure of meeting her once, but my wife and I spent a very pleasant mid-morning with her and my buddy in her kitchen and back porch.
It was the complete opposite of the normal Napa visit and was quite literally a visit with an old friend in their home.
Unfortunately all my Paloma Merlot is gone or I'd open a bottle and enjoy it in her memory. She definitely left an impression on me and her passing brings a bit of sadness this morning. RIP Barbara.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Morley Safer, one of the icons of '60 Minutes'. He was 84.


I think it's bad juju if they do a retrospective of your career on TV at that age. Our local news just did a piece on Jane Little the oldest member of the ATL symphony and she died a few days later.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by mdsphoto:
RIP Alan Young, Wilbur from Mr.Ed.


Did you notice his role as Rod Taylor's neighbor in The Time Machine?

Also if you've never seen it, there's a special feature on the DVD. Taylor comes back to London for return visit and meets up with Young. It was made, I think, just for the video and it's very neat to see the two of them together again much older.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Do you mean something recorded later, or something in the movie when they met when they were older? I think the older meeting was included in the movie, but it's been many years since I've seen it.

"In 1993 a combination sequel-documentary short, Time Machine: The Journey Back, directed by Clyde Lucas, was produced. In its third section, Michael J. Fox talks about his experience with the Delorean sports car time machine from Back to the Future. In the short's final section, written by screenwriter David Duncan, Rod Taylor, Alan Young, and Whit Bissell reprise their roles from the original 1960 film."

This was apparently done for PBS. Both actors of course were 23 years older than in the original movie. When the movie was released on DVD they cut everything else out except for the reunion scene of these two actors.

My mother took me to it in 1960 at the great Avalon Theatre in Chicago. The Morlocks scared the shit out of me. Funny now when you see their "scary" eyes are simply light bulbs.
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
Donn Chappellet a Napa Valley trailblazer.

How very sad. I enjoyed meeting his wife, Molly, one time but never had the privilege of meeting Donn. Very good wines, although their Signature bottling unfortunately (for me) became a bit rich for my taste.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Do you mean something recorded later, or something in the movie when they met when they were older? I think the older meeting was included in the movie, but it's been many years since I've seen it.

"In 1993 a combination sequel-documentary short, Time Machine: The Journey Back, directed by Clyde Lucas, was produced. In its third section, Michael J. Fox talks about his experience with the Delorean sports car time machine from Back to the Future. In the short's final section, written by screenwriter David Duncan, Rod Taylor, Alan Young, and Whit Bissell reprise their roles from the original 1960 film."

This was apparently done for PBS. Both actors of course were 23 years older than in the original movie. When the movie was released on DVD they cut everything else out except for the reunion scene of these two actors.

My mother took me to it in 1960 at the great Avalon Theatre in Chicago. The Morlocks scared the shit out of me. Funny now when you see their "scary" eyes are simply light bulbs.


I wish I had seen it.
Rick MacLeish, ex-Flyers great. Scored arguably the biggest goal in team history. A smooth skater in an era of few of them, possessed a deadly wrist shot and all around cool guy. I got to meet him several times at a local watering hole in my home town.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
RIP Pat Summitt, legendary Tennessee basketball coach, and an inspiration to two generations of young athletes.


Legend/iconic. R.I.P.

For sure. I also just saw that Buddy Ryan, the defensive coordinator of the 85 Chicago Bears has passed. Two big sports names in short order.
For the players and fans of women's basketball, all of them should thank Pat Summitt. She was the pioneer of the sport, taking it from a club sport to a major sanctioned NCAA sport. For us older people, the girls played six on six with only three players allowed on each side of the center line back in our day. Now they play the five on five full court game.

Summitt was a relentless stickler for the fundamentals of the game. Her Lady Vols were the first dynasty in the sport, only now equaled by UConn. I still remember that 1998 Sports Illustrated article which so accurately detailed her life. RIP to one of the greatest coaches in any sport regardless of gender.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
RIP Pat Summitt, legendary Tennessee basketball coach, and an inspiration to two generations of young athletes.


It truly is a great loss, especially for us here in Knoxville. She was one of, if not the best, coaches in all of college sports and a great person/ambassador for the game.

I had always wanted an autographed basketball from her and my wife, as a surprise birthday present, went to campus and purchased a Lady Vols basketball. On a whim, she went to Pat's office just to see if she was around and would she be willing to autograph the ball. My wife tells me she welcomed her into her office and happily signed the ball. It is one of my all-time treasured items of Volunteer sports.

RIP Coach Summitt and thanks for everything...
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
RIP Pat Summitt, legendary Tennessee basketball coach, and an inspiration to two generations of young athletes.


Still the D-1 basketball coach with the most wins all time. Coach K and Jim Boeheim might pass her in time, but they would be proud to be mentioned in the same breath with her.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
For the players and fans of women's basketball, all of them should thank Pat Summitt. She was the pioneer of the sport, taking it from a club sport to a major sanctioned NCAA sport. For us older people, the girls played six on six with only three players allowed on each side of the center line back in our day. Now they play the five on five full court game.

Summitt was a relentless stickler for the fundamentals of the game. Her Lady Vols were the first dynasty in the sport, only now equaled by UConn. I still remember that 1998 Sports Illustrated article which so accurately detailed her life. RIP to one of the greatest coaches in any sport regardless of gender.


Of the numerous articles documenting Coach Pat Summitt's career, two of the most notable accolades were:

In the 38 years of coaching, every player who completed their eligibility graduated.

She turned down the men's head basketball coaching job at Tennessee as she did not consider it as a promotion.

RIP
Michael Cimino, director of The Deer Hunter (which I didn't like) and the movie that brought down a studio-- Heaven's Gate, has died. An excellent book on the back story of the Heaven's Gate fiasco is, Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists by Steven Bach is worth reading.
Elie Wiesel.
A man, who, as witness to and historian of the Holocaust, was himself, a piece of history.

His greatest quotes:
"No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them."

"We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

A huge moral force is gone. Frown
No love for Kiarostami from our film buffs?

His film Taste of Cherry won the Palme d'Or in 1997. Close-Up (1990) made the 2012 Sight & Sound list of the Top 50 Greatest Films of All Time. One of his last films was Certified Copy (2010) for which Juliette Binoche won the Best Actress award at Cannes.

Personally, I thought Certified Copy was contrived and difficult to watch. But I respect his long, successful career as a filmmaker.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Alton Sterling

If we're going to list every person shot by a police officer this is going to be a very long list.


Who do you see doing that?

I would have no idea what your future intentions are. Up to this point we've been RIPing men and women of distinction and accomplishment. Confucius says, "Journey of a thousand steps begins with the first step."
Dennis Green- retired coach who delivered one of the greatest rants in NFL history

I have bumped into him occasionally around here the last few years. He must have retired around here.

One time I walked up to him and asked "are you who I think you are?". He smiled and laughed
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Fyvush Finkel
Age 93. Great star in Yiddish theatre, but won an Emmy for a role in Picket Fences too.


RIP. I did not know he was still alive


He probably didn't know you were alive!!
The guy who played "R2D2" in the Star Wars series, Kenny Baker, died last week. The 3ft 8in actor, who starred in six Star Wars films as well as Time Bandits and Flash Gordon, was 81.

quote:
The British actor who played R2-D2 in the Star Wars films has died at the age of 81 after a long illness. Kenny Baker, who was 3ft 8in tall, shot to fame in 1977 when he first played the robot character.
He went on to play the character in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as well as the three Star Wars prequels from 1999 to 2005. He also appeared in a number of other much loved films in the 1980s, including The Elephant Man, Time Bandits and Flash Gordon.


Kenny Baker obituary.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89."

I probably started watching his show right around when it began. So much better than today's usual panels on CNN, Fox, etc.

I loved the SNL parodies of his show!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89."

I probably started watching his show right around when it began. So much better than today's usual panels on CNN, Fox, etc.



I loved the SNL parodies of his show!


After Church Lady, one of Dana Carvey's best characters.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89."

I probably started watching his show right around when it began. So much better than today's usual panels on CNN, Fox, etc.

I loved the SNL parodies of his show!

Stopped watching Saturday Night Live around 1976 so I never so them.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89."


On a probability scale from zero to 10 — zero meaning zero probability, 10 meaning metaphysical certitude, is today a sad day?

I'd give it a 10.

Bye Bye!

Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89."


On a probability scale from zero to 10 — zero meaning zero probability, 10 meaning metaphysical certitude, is today a sad day?

I'd give it a 10.

Bye Bye!

Frown

Very nice!
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89."

I probably started watching his show right around when it began. So much better than today's usual panels on CNN, Fox, etc.


I watched his show probably within the last 2-3 months, and he wasn't looking too good. Always enjoyed the show because they seemed to present both sides politically. I'll miss it.
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89."

I probably started watching his show right around when it began. So much better than today's usual panels on CNN, Fox, etc.


I watched his show probably within the last 2-3 months, and he wasn't looking too good. Always enjoyed the show because they seemed to present both sides politically. I'll miss it.


I sat next to him on a flight into National (I still call it by its old name) where we had a very scary landing as there was still a plane on the runway and the pilot had to pull up and abort the landing and in my head I imagined him blurting out "wrong" - and calling on the next guest
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Michel Richard. Great chef. Fed me very well many times. RIP.

PH


PH, there is still a wonderful French pastry shop in Santa Fe he had great influence on when he lived and worked in Santa Fe.


MMMMM... Pastry! Cool I'll need to come see you when you're out that way one of these days. Love to D and the Js.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Steven Hill. Many know him as Adam Schiff on Law and Order, but us old folks remember him as the team leader on the first season of Mission Impossible. I believe he left because as an Orthodox Jew he couldn't get off the times he needed.


He had such a great character on L&O, he was excellent as a curmudgeon
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Steven Hill. Many know him as Adam Schiff on Law and Order, but us old folks remember him as the team leader on the first season of Mission Impossible. I believe he left because as an Orthodox Jew he couldn't get off the times he needed.


He had such a great character on L&O, he was excellent as a curmudgeon

He's my role model. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
A little esoteric, but Toots Thielemans passed away a few days back. Cat could play the harp. Flat out amazing talent. RIP.

PH

No! Wow, I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of his passing. Such a talent. He played with everyone from Jaco Pastorius to Billy Joel. And there likely isn't a single person on the forum who hasn't heard him play. That's his harp playing on the Sesame Street theme.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
"Designer Sonia Rykiel, known for a relaxed style, dies at 86." Fashion designer responsible for the French "Mod" look of the 60's and 70's.


Our cleaning woman's grandmother died in Brazil. Her contribution to my life far outshone Sonia Rykiel's.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Gene Wilder....age 83.


Deserves its own thread. Comic brilliance.

Interesting, his list of movies roles is actually very small. Remember his first movie turn as the undertaker in Bonnie and Clyde when it came out--perhaps the only thing I liked about the movie. Of course The Producers is his high water mark. Had a strange short time with terminally ill Gilda Radner--but he was there for her no matter how difficult it got.

And am I the only person who saw, Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx? In the theater no less.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Interesting, his list of movies roles is actually very small. Remember his first movie turn as the undertaker in Bonnie and Clyde when it came out--perhaps the only thing I liked about the movie.


Really?? Great movie with excellent performances by so many, even Beatty.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
RIP Margrit Mondavi
Best to her family and friends.


Yes indeed. She was interviewed in the documentary Somm: Into the Bottle, which I just watched last night. She came across as an articulate, intelligent, gracious woman.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Wow, Curtis Hansen died at 71 today. Though I think LA Confidential is overrated (it's not quite the Chinatown it wants to be) it has a number of nice scenes and use of locals in it. Especially good is the Lana Turner scene in the still operating Formosa Cafe. Also nice use of Lloyd Wright's Sowden House and Richard Neutra's Lovell House.


Best for the cast with the 2 Australians - Pearce and Crowe and of course Kevin Spacey among others
quote:
Originally posted by FL Wino:
Miami Marlins ace pitcher Jose Fernandez was killed Sunday morning after a boat crash in Miami Beach, the team announced.

The 24-year-old Fernandez was one of at least three people killed in the early morning collision.


I'm just in shock right now Frown

RIP Jose!!
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Terrible news. Was a great pitcher. Great ERA.
Rookie of the year a couple years ago. Born in Cuba.
Only 24 years old or so. Had a pregnant girlfriend.
Life is unfair sometimes.


Scheduled Marlins home game against the Atlanta Braves on Sunday has been cancelled in respect.
Arnold so sad.

Really hurts me here. We see him daily!! we live here at PGA National. On the course designed by him called "The General". After his redesign three years ago it was renamed "Palmer Course" There is a small plaque just off the course near our back yard commerating him.

Great for the game. Loved to watch him and that iconic swing
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Terrible news. Was a great pitcher. Great ERA.
Rookie of the year a couple years ago. Born in Cuba.
Only 24 years old or so. Had a pregnant girlfriend.
Life is unfair sometimes.

Terrible indeed. I'm listening to the stories about his journey from Cuba to the US. Unbelievable. RIP.
When I was a kid growing up in the 70's, my dad would always have on TV the Sunday round of whichever PGA tournament was on that particular week. It was always a big deal to him, and therefore to us kids, if Palmer was in contention.

Of course, the very best was when it was Palmer and Nicklaus dueling down the back 9.

Goodbye Arnie! Thanks for so many great memories!!!
RIP to the King, Mr. Palmer.

His contributions to golf and society will exist for a long, long time. Arnie put golf on the map, period. He was the dashing hero that made fans watch golf, which at the time was a niche sport, on TV. Arnie was cool, all the women loved him and all the men wanted to be like him.

Mr. Palmer was a kind, classy man who made everyone he met feel special. Like the post above, this one makes me cry. While we know death must come to all people, this one is a shock (even though we all knew he was in poor health).

We have seen the two most iconic athletes of my generation leave us in 2016, Ali and Arnie. That is tough.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
RIP to the King, Mr. Palmer.

His contributions to golf and society will exist for a long, long time. Arnie put golf on the map, period. He was the dashing hero that made fans watch golf, which at the time was a niche sport, on TV. Arnie was cool, all the women loved him and all the men wanted to be like him.

Mr. Palmer was a kind, classy man who made everyone he met feel special. Like the post above, this one makes me cry. While we know death must come to all people, this one is a shock (even though we all knew he was in poor health).

We have seen the two most iconic athletes of my generation leave us in 2016, Ali and Arnie. That is tough.


Though I'm not a hockey fan, I will add Gordie Howe passed this year as well, making it 3 iconic athletes this year.

Palmer was one of my grandfather's favorite athletes, and they were close to the same age. His passing reminds me of my grandfather today.

I heard today he was worth $650+ million, even though the most he made in a single year of golf earnings was $168,000.
RIP Arnie. Always a classy, very likable guy. Amazing how his popularity kept him in commercials right up to the end. (Also sad that Chris Bosh, who was in a recent pharm commercial with Arnie, found out his NBA career may be over the same weekend AP passed).
Bobby Vee: 1960s pop singer dies aged 73

Bobby Vee, best known for hits including Rubber Ball, Take Good Care of My Baby and The Night Has a Thousand Eyes.

Vee released more than 25 albums during his career, retiring in 2011 after being diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease
RIP Jack Chick, not.
You may not know the name, but you've probably seen his "artwork". This is the guy that created all those horrific, little Christian pamphlet/comics that you find at bus stops and in places like the entrance to the grocery store. Titles like "This Was Your Life", showing a guy dying and being judged in Heaven, and ultimately cast down into Hell. Freaked me out when I was a kid.
The guy was anti-everything that didn't scribe with his version of fundamentalist Christianity. Judaism, Muslims, homosexuality, heck, even the Catholics drew his ire.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
RIP Jack Chick, not.
You may not know the name, but you've probably seen his "artwork". This is the guy that created all those horrific, little Christian pamphlet/comics that you find at bus stops and in places like the entrance to the grocery store. Titles like "This Was Your Life", showing a guy dying and being judged in Heaven, and ultimately cast down into Hell. Freaked me out when I was a kid.
The guy was anti-everything that didn't scribe with his version of fundamentalist Christianity. Judaism, Muslims, homosexuality, heck, even the Catholics drew his ire.

Hey, Rest In Peace is not necessarily an honorific phrase. It could simply be a wish that the departed never cross into the land of the living again!

Maybe I watch too much of The Walking Dead! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Leonard Cohen.
He'll be missed. Loved his early work especially. Famous Blue Raincoat is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Red Face ironically, he had some quoted remarks recently about his time being up. RIP.


Maybe he knew his time was about up
Ralph Branca... 91. Major league pitcher who gave up the HR to Bobby Thompson in 1951.("The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!")
Branca was highly supportive of Jackie Robinson's debut in the major leagues and was the last surviving member of the 1947 Dodgers (the team that Robinson first played for).
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Ralph Branca... 91. Major league pitcher who gave up the HR to Bobby Thompson in 1951.("The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!")
Branca was highly supportive of Jackie Robinson's debut in the major leagues and was the last surviving member of the 1947 Dodgers (the team that Robinson first played for).


He was also Bobby Valentine's father-in-law.
Fidel Castro.

Cuba's Fidel Castro, former president, dies aged 90.

Fidel Castro, Cuba's former president and leader of the Communist revolution, has died aged 90, state TV has announced.
It provided no further details.
Fidel Castro ruled Cuba as a one-party state for almost half a century before handing over the powers to his brother Raul in 2008.
His supporters praised him as a man who had given Cuba back to the people. But his opponents accused him of brutally suppressing opposition.

In April, Fidel Castro gave a rare speech on the final day of the country's Communist Party congress.
He acknowledged his advanced age but said Cuban communist concepts were still valid and the Cuban people "will be victorious".
"I'll soon be 90," the former president said, adding that this was "something I'd never imagined".
"Soon I'll be like all the others, "to all our turn must come," Fidel Castro said.

Fidel Castro's key dates:
1926: Born in the south-eastern Oriente Province of Cuba
1953: Imprisoned after leading an unsuccessful rising against Batista's regime
1955: Released from prison under an amnesty deal
1956: With Che Guevara, begins a guerrilla war against the government
1959: Defeats Batista, sworn in as prime minister of Cuba
1960: Fights off CIA-sponsored Bay of Pigs invasion by Cuban exiles
1962: Sparks Cuban missile crisis by agreeing that USSR can deploy nuclear missiles in Cuba
1976: Elected president by Cuba's National Assembly
1992: Reaches an agreement with US over Cuban refugees
2008: Stands down as president of Cuba due to health issues
You left a few key accomplishments off your list, like the times he brutally murdered thousands of innocents, or all of those times he arrested and tortured innocents without any form of due process. Or those "key dates" on which he seized the businesses and personal property (even the clothing and family heirlooms) from the citizens of Cuba. Oh yeah, and all of those times he chased citizens out of Cuba under the threat of execution because they chose to defend their family or property.

Not to mention that since the fall of the USSR, his people have been impoverished while he spends all day smoking cigars and living a lavish lifestyle.

The guy was a murderous thug and a conman. "Communism" my ass. He lived it up while the people suffered, and if you dared to challenge him or his government, you were beaten, tortured, and murdered.

This hardly belongs under "RIP". Maybe we should start a new thread for "RIH" (Rot In Hell).

Rot in hell you filthy, oppressive, tyrannical, murderer, piece of shit.


PS: LOL at "1976: Elected president by Cuba's National Assembly"
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Sat, 26 Nov 2016 04:39:51 GMT-0800', 'Nov 26, 2016 07:39 AM')+'</nobr>');Nov 26, 2016 07:39 AMNov 26, 2016 07:39 AMHide PostYou left a few key accomplishments off your list, like the times he brutally murdered thousands of innocents, or all of those times he arrested and tortured innocents without any form of due process. Or those "key dates" on which he seized the businesses and personal property (even the clothing and family heirlooms) from the citizens of Cuba. Oh yeah, and all of those times he chased citizens out of Cuba under the threat of execution because they chose to defend their family or property. Not to mention that since the fall of the USSR, his people have been impoverished while he spends all day smoking cigars and living a lavish lifestyle.The guy was a murderous thug and a conman. "Communism" my ass. He lived it up while the people suffered, and if you dared to challenge him or his government, you were beaten, tortured, and murdered. This hardly belongs under "RIP". Maybe we should start a new thread for "RIH" (Rot In Hell).Rot in hell you filthy, oppressive, tyrannical, murderer, piece of shit.



Agree. RIP is the wrong place.

About time dead
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:
You left a few key accomplishments off your list, like the times he brutally murdered thousands of innocents, or all of those times he arrested and tortured innocents without any form of due process. Or those "key dates" on which he seized the businesses and personal property (even the clothing and family heirlooms) from the citizens of Cuba. Oh yeah, and all of those times he chased citizens out of Cuba under the threat of execution because they chose to defend their family or property.

Not to mention that since the fall of the USSR, his people have been impoverished while he spends all day smoking cigars and living a lavish lifestyle.

The guy was a murderous thug and a conman. "Communism" my ass. He lived it up while the people suffered, and if you dared to challenge him or his government, you were beaten, tortured, and murdered.

This hardly belongs under "RIP". Maybe we should start a new thread for "RIH" (Rot In Hell).

Rot in hell you filthy, oppressive, tyrannical, murderer, piece of shit.


PS: LOL at "1976: Elected president by Cuba's National Assembly"


+1 Celebrations in Little Havana have been going on all night.
one wonders if this political thread will bite the dust.
Castro was quite evil in many ways. Jailing political dissenters. Keeping his countrymen in primitive poverty. Plus, the various things mentioned previously by Jorgerunfast. Like other dictators, he ruled with an iron fist, not permitting anything remotely considered opposition. Today, Cuba continues to pay the price. They have so little in the way of capital assets, they have little to trade. Opening up Cuba to the west might be a good thing ultimately, but for now, other than beaches, they have little to export. You can't build an economy around cigars, particularly when the farmers who harvest tobacco have no technology. They export baseball players..that's about it.
When I was in Cuba (15 years ago or so) I was struck by the fact that they don't have a class structure, because everyone is dirt poor. They lack money for spices, soap, and basic human necessities. We brought toothpaste, aspirin and other OTC drugs, soaps, and so forth to give away at a shelter. The people I met were intelligent and educated people, literate and very kind. Terrible that they have been held back in the horrible poverty that Castro kept them in, so that he could blame the US for everything, rather than take blame himself.
Hard to be sad when an evil person dies.
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:

This hardly belongs under "RIP". Maybe we should start a new thread for "RIH" (Rot In Hell).

Rot in hell you filthy, oppressive, tyrannical, murderer, piece of shit.


PS: LOL at "1976: Elected president by Cuba's National Assembly"


Big +1 million, plus in big part to this tyrant murderer, Nicaragua the country i was born in is al also fuc...ed up. Rot in hell next to Chavez
Ron Glass.

2:45 PM PST -- Glass' rep Jeffrey Leavitt tells TMZ ... "Ron passed late last night of respiratory failure. Ron was a private, gentle and caring man. He was an absolute delight to watch on screen. Words cannot adequately express my sorrow. "

Ron Glass, a centerpiece on the 70's sitcom "Barney Miller" has died ... according to his rep.
Glass had recently battled with various illnesses, and was an active member in the L.A. Buddhist community. He passed away at his home Friday, where'd he'd been watched by a caretaker.
Glass received an Emmy nomination for his role as Detective Ron Harris on the show ... he also made appearances on the original Hawaii Five-O, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Firefly and more recently on an episode of CSI in 2014.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×