quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Coming soon: Rexit.

Wait for it...

Ding ding ding!
George Tsilibes Age 84

The father of my best friend in High School. George was a good kind man and he will be missed. RIP George.

IW
José Antonio Abreu, founder of El Sistema in Venezuela. I don't know as much about this as I likely should, but I've heard enough beautiful music coming from young people taught in this system to be in awe.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Rusty Staub


Just spent a few days listening to him watching Baseball by Ken Burns. A true "baseball guy."

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Rusty Staub


Just spent a few days listening to him watching Baseball by Ken Burns. A true "baseball guy."

PH

When I was a kid we went to the old Rangers stadium to see them play the Yankees. Staub was at bat and hit a long ball out toward Reggie Jackson, who thought it went out and turned around with his arms folded to watch Staub round the bases. The ball actually hit the top of the wall, stayed in the field of play, and bounced to a stop about ten feet behind Jackson. The other Yankees came running and shouting at Reggie, who quickly grabbed the ball and threw it to the infield. Had it been any other player it would have been an in the park home run. Staub, who was never known for his speed, made it to third. Great memory from my first live baseball game. RIP
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
,,,Staub, who was never known for his speed, made it to third. Great memory from my first live baseball game. RIP


Great story, VB. Thanks.

PH
Even though he only played 4 seasons total for the Expos, Staub is a folk legend in Montreal. Maybe not as much as Gary Carter, but pretty close.

My memories of him though are of his time with the Tigers. He had 3 outstanding seasons with them at a time when the team was not good...no they sucked. He and Mark Fidrych were the stars of an otherwise grim 1976 season.

RIP Rusty.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Even though he only played 4 seasons total for the Expos, Staub is a folk legend in Montreal. Maybe not as much as Gary Carter, but pretty close.

My memories of him though are of his time with the Tigers. He had 3 outstanding seasons with them at a time when the team was not good...no they sucked. He and Mark Fidrych were the stars of an otherwise grim 1976 season.

RIP Rusty.


Le Grande Orange
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic Frown


Sad but true.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic Frown


Sad but true.

+1
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic Frown


Sad but true.

+1

?? It’s still alive.

“I’m not dead yet.”
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

"Topic closed", so it can't be added to.


I knew without even looking that the final post to that glorious thread would be from bman.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've warned him never to mention PG Wodehouse in these forums. I told him it's just not possible to mention Wodehouse without offending someone (or maybe I should have said 'without offending everyone'). He promised me that he would listen to my advice, but clearly that was just a ruse.

It figures that the straw that broke the camel's back in that long-running thread wouldn't be political, or sexual, or combative, or commercial, or racist, or insulting.

No. To kill off a thread that way took something LITERARY!

And I think now everyone knows just how insidious books and authors can be.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
At least it reached 2811 replies, 113 pages and 408558 views.


Not that you're counting Mim Wink.
It appears jburman's politically incendiary comment was deleted, but got a second life in a reply by Fl Wino. If that comment was indeed the thread's death knell, I guess one could say Robert put Jack in the box.
Yeah... A little sorry to see it gone as well.

Can't say that we weren't warned. A little heavy handed on Robert's part, methinks.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
A little heavy handed on Robert's part, methinks.

I dunno, PH. It looks like a fairly even-handed application of a 'three strikes you're out' policy on Robert's part. Warnings from him on Feb 9th and March 7th, along with posts from Mimik and I, were ignored. The non-random, non-off-topic political posts continued, and the end was a foregone conclusion.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

I dunno, PH. It looks like a fairly even-handed application of a 'three strikes you're out' policy on Robert's part...


I think nuking the thread was over-kill. What did he hope to accomplish? Did he think that doing this was going to somehow stop future political posts here? Given the egregious crap that was permitted to go on here for years with several well known suspects, this seemed like a lazy way out.

The TOS for the WS site says political posts are "subject" to deletion. I didn't see the post(s) that precipitated the locking of the thread in question, but most of the political discourse I say there was good natured and funny. The TOS also say that "offenders" would get an e-mail warning them of the inappropriate post(s). I know I've made a post or twelve in violation of the TOS and I haven't heard a peep.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
Say Something Completely Random And Off Topic Frown


Sad but true.

+1

?? It’s still alive.

“I’m not dead yet.”

Hey, turns out you were right! At least until someone hits it over the head...
Did no one notice that Cecil Taylor died a few days ago? Maybe everyone should stop worrying about who should hang it up, and pay attention to what deserves attention.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

I dunno, PH. It looks like a fairly even-handed application of a 'three strikes you're out' policy on Robert's part...


I think nuking the thread was over-kill. What did he hope to accomplish? Did he think that doing this was going to somehow stop future political posts here? Given the egregious crap that was permitted to go on here for years with several well known suspects, this seemed like a lazy way out.

The TOS for the WS site says political posts are "subject" to deletion. I didn't see the post(s) that precipitated the locking of the thread in question, but most of the political discourse I say there was good natured and funny. The TOS also say that "offenders" would get an e-mail warning them of the inappropriate post(s). I know I've made a post or twelve in violation of the TOS and I haven't heard a peep.

PH


WORD.
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Did no one notice that Cecil Taylor died a few days ago? Maybe everyone should stop worrying about who should hang it up, and pay attention to what deserves attention.


Visit the What are you listening to thread and you see VERY little interest in free jazz. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Did no one notice that Cecil Taylor died a few days ago? Maybe everyone should stop worrying about who should hang it up, and pay attention to what deserves attention.

Missed this. Saw him in the late 70s at the Jazz Showcase on Rush St. My head is still hurting; it was the most intense concert I've ever been to.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
Did no one notice that Cecil Taylor died a few days ago? Maybe everyone should stop worrying about who should hang it up, and pay attention to what deserves attention.

Missed this. Saw him in the late 70s at the Jazz Showcase on Rush St. My head is still hurting; it was the most intense concert I've ever been to.


I, too, missed this news. Bummer.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×