Bunning won 100 games in both the AL and NL. He also pitched a no hitter in each league including a perfect game.

The Southern Rock is cranking up above now that the Allmans are together again.
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Cancun:
Roger was James Bond during my formative years, loved his ongoing battles with "Jaws". RIP Roger!


A bit late to this...but Sir Roger Moore was the Best Bond. Don't really get all the praise of Daniel Craig. He's ok...but brings no excitement to the role. For me it's Roger.! RIP!
Was there any praise of Daniel Craig? From anywhere?

Guy has jug ears and his acting consists of pursing his lips. It's as if they couldn't figure out who to get for Bond so they found a mannequin. He really has to be the worst stiff of an actor since Christopher Reeve.
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Was there any praise of Daniel Craig? From anywhere?

Guy has jug ears and his acting consists of pursing his lips. It's as if they couldn't figure out who to get for Bond so they found a mannequin. He really has to be the worst stiff of an actor since Christopher Reeve.

Not untrue, but I think they were going with someone who would look believable in the action sequences. Something Moore, and his stand-ins, did not.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.


George Lazenby and David Niven were much worse than Moore or Dalton for me.
Sorry to hear about Frank DeFord met him many years ago during a fund raiser for cystic fibrosis, a cause close to his heart.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Frank DeFord was a master storyteller. I really enjoyed his writing.


One of the finest, ever.
Roberto De Vicenzo professional golfer from Argentina at the age of 94.

De Vicenzo was best known for signing an incorrect scorecard at the 1968 Masters, signing a card for one stroke higher than he shot. As per the rule, he had to take that score allowing winner Bob Goalby to avoid a playoff with De Vicenzo. His famous quote was "what a stupid I am". He did win 230 tourneys worldwide including the 1967 British Open. Great player.
Bernie Bliden.
Founded Midway Liquors where I buy wine frequently. Now owned by Stan, his son. Grandson works there too.
Back in 1982 they had a Brinks delivery truck drive up with three bottles of 1892 Inglenook Cabernet. Opened them all for a tasting.
Stan has a great palate. He and his wife came over for dinner one night, and he brought a 1982 Cheyval Blanc.
Bernie was 94 or so.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.


George Lazenby and David Niven were much worse than Moore or Dalton for me.


Maybe we differ on that one. David Niven was a spoof so I don't count him. As for Lazenby, he was fresh into acting and would likely have improved on some points. At least he knew how to throw a punch. Moore's fight scenes were cartoonish at best, maybe due to Moore's inability or maybe due to the direction of the franchise. In other ways Moore was quite good. Dalton is the one that comes to mind as having no redeeming quality as Bond.
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity. Has also donated heavily to, and founded programs, dedicated to oceanography and protecting aquatic life.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.

hard to argue that... but O'Neill helped bring surfing to places that weren't dominated by 300 days of sunshine and warm currents.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The worst but in so many ways the best Bond ever.

RIP Roger Moore


Almost the worst. Timothy Dalton was the worst. I'd say Roger represented some of what was the 'best AND the worst' of Bond movies. I can't help but think that a lot of the campiness was driven by Broccoli during the Moore era.

RIP Roger Moore. He was good as The Saint.


George Lazenby and David Niven were much worse than Moore or Dalton for me.


Maybe we differ on that one. David Niven was a spoof so I don't count him. As for Lazenby, he was fresh into acting and would likely have improved on some points. At least he knew how to throw a punch. Moore's fight scenes were cartoonish at best, maybe due to Moore's inability or maybe due to the direction of the franchise. In other ways Moore was quite good. Dalton is the one that comes to mind as having no redeeming quality as Bond.

Perhaps we should move the Bond stuff here.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.

hard to argue that... but O'Neill helped bring surfing to places that weren't dominated by 300 days of sunshine and warm currents.


The difference being O'niell was an innovator who enriched the activity whereas the Beach Boys are regarded as posers and the reason for the greatest influx of kooks, second only to, arguably, Gidget.
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
Jack O'Neill- an absolute legend in the surfing community and arguably the single greatest reason for the rise in surfing's popularity after the Beach Boys.

hard to argue that... but O'Neill helped bring surfing to places that weren't dominated by 300 days of sunshine and warm currents.


The difference being O'niell was an innovator who enriched the activity whereas the Beach Boys are regarded as posers and the reason for the greatest influx of kooks, second only to, arguably, Gidget.


But it was Duke Kahanamoku who was instrumental in making surfing so popular.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
RIP Jimmy Piersall


For some reason I thought he had died years ago.

I recall the movie about him when I was a boy.
Jimmy Piersall:
He was a strange guy, with manic-depressive illness. When he hit his 100th career home run, he ran the bases in the correct order, but ran backwards.
Stole over 100 bases in his career.
Adnan Khashoggi

I still remember as a little kid being in awe of his yacht berthed in Puerto Banús when I was there with my parents. Guards walking around with uzis in their hands.

Obviously I was so smitten with the uzis and the yacht (I was eight...) I was allowed on to get a tour with my mom while my dad had to stay on the dock with two armed guards.

He might have sold a lot of guns that killed a lot of people but he had a nice boat and let an eight year old walk around with an (unloaded) uzi while getting a tour... Good times...
Rob,

Was this the yacht?

His yacht, the Nabila, named for his only daughter, was a floating pleasure palace and was used in the 1983 James Bond film “Never Say Never Again” starring Sean Connery – an occasional guest at Khashoggi’s soirees.

IW
I'm pretty sure it was. That yacht eventually made it's way to Trump and is now owned by Saudi prince who runs Kingdom Holdings.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Adnan Khashoggi

I still remember as a little kid being in awe of his yacht berthed in Puerto Banús when I was there with my parents. Guards walking around with uzis in their hands.

Obviously I was so smitten with the uzis and the yacht (I was eight...) I was allowed on to get a tour with my mom while my dad had to stay on the dock with two armed guards.

He might have sold a lot of guns that killed a lot of people but he had a nice boat and let an eight year old walk around with an (unloaded) uzi while getting a tour... Good times...


Among his many other ventures, Adnan Khashoggi was a stock market manipulator and swindler.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Glenne Headly. Made everything I saw her in better. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is in my top 15 comedies of all time.


I would love to know your "top 10."
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Adam West--Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah...Batman.


+1

KaPOW ...WHAM....BAM!...'Quick, to the Batmobile Robin..'
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Carrie Fisher.

Tough year...

PH


Her autopsy reveals she had cocaine, opiates, ecstasy , alcohol and exposure to heroin in her system and the cause of death is listed as sleep apnea with other factors.

Umm, yes there were other factors.
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Stephen Furst, "Flounder" Dorfman from Animal House, age 62. Complications from diabetes.
Dorfman


bummer, loved Animal House

Terrific as Elliot Axelrod in St. Elsewhere
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.


you continue to amaze me
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Ecstasy often has heroin and amphetamines mixed into the blend (it's surprisingly difficult to get pure MDNA) so it could easily have been a pill of E and a line of coke (in other words the makings of a great Thursday night).

It also goes to show you how difficult it is to ever truly shake addiction.


you continue to amaze me

+1. I sometimes wonder if Rob's wife knows how much he knows.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×