Beautiful Wachau-Riesling! Nose of ripe pears and flintstone. Dense and supported by a perfect, fine acidity. Fine hint of spritz with various blossom notes. Long and creamy finish with some hazelnut. 92 P.

Anche Dio è di-vino
Original Post
Marc,

Glad to hear you liked it. WS also gave it a 92. I bought two last year for about $27 which I thought was a great price. How much did you pay? I have not tried mine yet. Do you have an opinion for a drinking window?

Lastly, I love Knoll's label. I think it is the nicest wine label I have seen.

VM
VinoMe, I paid more or less the same price, USD 28. It is really approachable and a joy to drink now, so no need to wait longer. Knolls wines are however known for their aging potential. Let's say from now through the next 5 years and you're on the safe side.

Funny you mention the label, I thought the opposite: It looks terribly old-styled to me. Smile

Anche Dio è di-vino

[This message was edited by Marc on Apr 23, 2003 at 04:56 AM.]
Gonna buy me one of those today, I've seen it for €21. And a FX Pichler GrüVe 2000 for €21 also. All these mouthwatering TNs made me curious.

Hey, Marc and Gasty, it's just the three of us on the board, and nobody is saying a word... Razz

I must have been a root louse in a past life....
I have not tried any Knoll Rieslings; thought I have seen them at Sam's in Chicago. I will have to look into them.

VM - It looks like Sam's just got in (in last couple of weeks) quite a few 2000 and 2001 Austrian Rieslings, GVs, and reds. Picked up quite a few including the 2000 Krutzler Blaufrankisch for about $10. I have not tried it yet but loved the 1999. They also had the 2000 Prager Riesling Smargd Weissenkirchen Klaus (WS 91, WA 94) for about $35. I picked up one of these.

Thanks,
Rob
To any Austria wine lover: I highly recommend looking for Hirtzberger wines from 2001. The whole line-up is fantastic! I loved the GV Honigvogl and the Riesling Singerriedel is about a classic wine (I think the WS-rating of "only" 92 P. is an understatement)

Anche Dio è di-vino
VM,

I think that I passed on it in October because I had some home repair/restoration costs that put my wine purchasing on hold for a while. It looks like I could have saved $6 last October. I guess you snooze you lose.

Have you tried the 2000 Prager Klaus yet? I do not plan on openng mine for a little while.

Thanks,
Rob
So I picked up one of these on Sunday on a Wachau trip (plus a Hirtzberger Honivogl 1998) for €19 and tried it yesterday evening. Intense peach aromas and flavors and some hazelnuts on a long, long finish. Very good indeed. Motivates me to drink more whites (at least in summer now).

I must have been a root louse in a past life....
Well, you wouldn't believe how the Spanish multi-holiday spring season has held my PC hostage at the magician's shop for about three weeks now. It's being absolutely nightmarish. I spent Easter at the Department typing on my supervisor's (as now) and he may walk in any minute...
Hopefully will be picking mine anytime this week ...ideally today!

------------------
Free Winona!
I opened one of my bottles on Monday night when Enoselsa came over for dinner. My wife cooked dinner and the theme was Austrian wines. I paid $31. I think the suggested retail is about $50. WS gave this 92 points.

This was my favorite wine of the evening. Knoll also is at the top of my list for favorite label as well. The color was not as light as expected. A medium yellow. A gentle nose of white flowers and fresh apples. When first opened this wine had some spritz to it (Enoselsa can explain the cause of this). When I tried the wine later the spritz had subsided. Rather sleek with a racy edge. A very nice dry Riesling. Notes of pear and peach with an excellent mineral backbone. Long finish. Give this some air time or you might want to decant it for an hour. 92-93 points.

VM

[This message was edited by Vino Me on Jan 29, 2004 at 06:15 PM.]
VM, thanks for the TN, it is very similar to my impression. I'm glad you liked it (I've only got two bottles left now and it is hard to resist).

If you like Knoll that much, you should also try to upgrade and find the following wines:

• Riesling and Grüner Veltliner "Vinothekenfüllung": Very rare and fabulous special selections
  • Riesling Smarad Ried Schütt: His best single vineyard wine

These are among the absolutely best Wachau wines and on par with the best bottles of Hirtzberger and Pichler.
----------------------------
This is just another cheap attempt to boost the number of my posts!

[This message was edited by Marc on Jan 30, 2004 at 09:38 AM.]

Add Reply

Likes (0)