I've heard of sirloin burgers...kobe burgers...but has anyone ever had a ribeye burger? Ribeyes are my favorite cut of steak because it's so flavorful and juicy so I thought about grinding it into a hamburger. Any thoughts?
Original Post
I've done it, with good success. Trim the "hard" fat, but leave as much soft marbling as you can. Use a coarse grind and pack loosely. Cook it hot and fast. Should be tasty. Post your results. I need some humor in my life lately!! Razz

PH
Your instruction is not precise enough, please specify the weight of ribeye to use, exactly ounce of hard fat to trim down to .001, lastly, packing pressure. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I've done it, with good success. Trim the "hard" fat, but leave as much soft marbling as you can. Use a coarse grind and pack loosely. Cook it hot and fast. Should be tasty. Post your results. I need some humor in my life lately!! Razz

PH
Can I do it in a blender?
quote:
Originally posted by pyang:
Your instruction is not precise enough, please specify the weight of ribeye to use, exactly ounce of hard fat to trim down to .001, lastly, packing pressure. Razz
Don't you have some wine or something to go "market?"
quote:
I need some humor in my life lately!!

PH
Can I do it in a blender?

Humor fix provided Cool ...... Per kumazam PLEASE do not do this!! Buy a meat grinder. Or have it done. Blender.... Eek Eek Big Grin Big Grin

PH
A meat grinder? Why would I need a meat grinder? I refuse to buy a food processor because anything a food processor can do, a blender can somewhat do.

Theoretically, will a blender grind the meat into hamburger meat?
Theoretically............no. The operative word in your response is "somewhat." There is no somewhat in cooking. There is the proper way and then there are all the other ways.

The texture of the ground meat is critical. You are not making paste here, it's hamburger!!! A meat grinder is $30. You can use it to make sausage and other good stuff. Buy one. Or send me your frikkin' ribeye, and I'll grind it for you.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by spo1977:
She is joking about the blender...right?

I am 100% sure she is not joking.

Bella before you either hurt yourself or ruin a good cut of meat please go to McDonalds.
Just make a smoothy out of it, and you won't have to add any protein powder.

Ribeye is tasty because it has a lot of fat in it. Why not just buy the highest fat content pre-ground hamburger at the market? Or buy ground sirloin and tell the butcher to run it through again with some extra fat cuttings.

Or, just buy the ribeye at the butcher and ask him to grind it for you. But duck quickly because he will most likely throw a knife at you.
Deryl

If you have read any of Bellas cooking stories then you would know that she and everyone in her apartment complex is a whole lot safer if she just goes to McDonalds.
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
A meat grinder? Why would I need a meat grinder? I refuse to buy a food processor because anything a food processor can do, a blender can somewhat do.

Theoretically, will a blender grind the meat into hamburger meat?

Red wine? Why would I buy red wine? It's the same as white wine isn't it?
I can make red wine by adding food colouring, dessert wine by adding sugar
and sparkling wine by putting it in a soda syphon.

(For the record, I think Bella is winding you up. I hope she is.)
I knew this would be an interesting thread when I saw BD started it and wanted to waste a ribeye to make a burger. I wasn't disappointed. Is it just me or is the idea of using a ribeye steak to make ground (or liquified) meat for burgers just plain wrong?

Bella, I'm sure I don't need to pass this culinary wisdom along to you, but if for some reason the blended meat seems a little tough, just give the patties a couple of passes over with your Michelins.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
A meat grinder is $30. You can use it to make sausage and other good stuff. Buy one. Or send me your frikkin' ribeye, and I'll grind it for you.

PH
I don't have room in my kitchen for another piece of equipment; nevertheless, a piece of equipment I will use only a few times a year. I have no desire to make sausage.

Will I need to put anything else in the mixture besides the meat itself? Flour, corn starch, something like that?
Meat grinder is a must. I have one of those hand cranked vintage ones that comes with different blades, and I can tell you the meat ground on that beauty is much better than anything that went through a turbine at the store. The meat is coarse, it's fresh, it's flavorful. In other words, it's your next "must have" kitchen item.
Bella,

You can make as good a burger with a cheaper piece of meat with a high fat content. You can also buy a grinder to fit most good mixers. This will work much better than a blender. You wouldn't need to buy a food processor.
Eric beat me to it. Bella, use snow tires for ribeye, off-road tires for chuck, and high performance tires for tenderloin. Use a little road salt for the softer cuts, but calcium chloride is best for chuck.

You'll find much better help on ebob.
Buy a whole beef tenderloin and trim it down. Grind the scraps and add it to some 80/20 ground beef. Using a blender or food processor would would basically cause air to be added to the meat. That would cause dry shrunken burgers.
This is one of the things I love about this forum. I couldn't find 5 other people within a 50 mile radius of here with such great ability to tell funny food jokes.

Actually BD, you are smart not to own a meat grinder. Besides not cluttering the apartment, you also get to keep all your appendages. Just find a good butcher and have him do whatever.

Do add as much grain as possible into the ground ribeye. YOu would not want to risk the possiblity that it will taste too much of ribeye when you get done.
quote:
Originally posted by Deryl:
Actually BD, you are smart not to own a meat grinder.

You are giving her way too much credit... Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Eric beat me to it. Bella, use snow tires for ribeye, off-road tires for chuck, and high performance tires for tenderloin. Use a little road salt for the softer cuts, but calcium chloride is best for chuck.

You'll find much better help on ebob.

Me too! You both beat me to it.
I just read this whole thread for the first time. My eyes are watering from laughing so hard. I am sure that I can't say anything that would measure up.... there are some seriously funny people here.

When I first read the "blender question", I thought that it must be a joke, even from Bella, but in about 5 seconds I realized that it wasn't. Whooooooo. I'm still laughing so hard I'm crying.

Sure, Bella, go ahead and use the blender and post the results. Pleeeeeeeease?

We love it when you "improvise."
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:
Using a blender or food processor would would basically cause air to be added to the meat. That would cause dry shrunken burgers.
This was exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
I'm not doing this anymore since you guys are so strongly opposed against this action. And I don't want to waste a perfect piece of meat.
quote:
Using a blender or food processor would would basically cause air to be added to the meat. That would cause dry shrunken burgers.

I don't agree with that, Berno. I use a food processor all the time to chop things - it's called "pulsing." I also do things like pesto in the blender. No air issues. And in a pinch, I've used a blender using the same technique. A blender is much more difficult, but the downside is not about aeration.

In the distant past, I remember actually using a food processor once or twice to chop meat for hamburgers (adding other ingredients also). It is not nearly as good as grinding meat, but it's possible to do it and still yield a decent burger. The essential problem (in my experience) is not about air, it's about shredding the meat too fine - the texture is all wrong. Just my two cents.
what speed does she need to be traveling when she runs it over Confused

what gear Confused

if she does a burn out on the meat will that grind it any Confused

can she put it in a vaccum bag with marinade and run that over to help infuse it Confused

do differant marinades need differant speeds or gear selection Confused

can she just put it all in the blender then run the blender over Confused

what setting should the blender be on when she runs it over Confused
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
I'm going to the store later on and seeing if they will grind the ribeye for me.

Now where's the fun in that?
Bella,

Getting the store to grind the meat is a good idea. I'm new to this forum, so there is obviously some inside stuff going on here which I don't understand. The bottom line is blenders don't make good ground beef. Food processors could be used in a pinch as SM says, but you have to be very attentive. Meat grinders work best.
quote:
I'm new to this forum, so there is obviously some inside stuff going on here which I don't understand.

Now that's an understatement. Cool

Bella, don't have them grind ribeyes for heaven's sake. It really is a horrible waste of an expensive cut of beef.
This thread is hilarious. Chef Boyardee does have one serious question though; does one lose anything by having the butcher grind the meat, then time elapses before it's cooked? (I'm thinking of the coffee example as I write this.)
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
I'm new to this forum, so there is obviously some inside stuff going on here which I don't understand.

Now that's an understatement. Cool

Bella, don't have them grind ribeyes for heaven's sake. It really is a horrible waste of an expensive cut of beef.

Seriously. That's a stupid thing to do.
Time to name this section, FTH - Funnier Than Hell.
Or should it be FFH - Food From Hell.

Thanks folks. After a long hard day of work and travel, this is just the kind of comic relief that I need. Big Grin Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Melissa:
quote:

I don't agree with that, Berno. I use a food processor all the time to chop things - it's called "pulsing." I also do things like pesto in the blender. No air issues. And in a pinch, I've used a blender using the same technique. A blender is much more difficult, but the downside is not about aeration.

In the distant past, I remember actually using a food processor once or twice to chop meat for hamburgers (adding other ingredients also). It is not nearly as good as grinding meat, but it's possible to do it and still yield a decent burger. The essential problem (in my experience) is not about air, it's about shredding the meat too fine - the texture is all wrong. Just my two cents.

I didn't say that about anything besides meat. You're absolutely right and the point I forgot to add, about the texture being crappy. Food processors and blenders a great for other foods. Not for meat, unless you're making pate or something along those lines.
quote:
Originally posted by The Artist Formerly known as DJ Hombre:

Uhhh... aren't you forgetting who we're talking about? She ran over steaks with an SUV to tenderize them, couldn't follow a simple marinara sauce recipe (and then blamed the person who provided the recipe), and marvels over salmon with cheddar cheese...

Can't you just let her use her blender to make burgers out of ribeye steaks? I'm seriously pissed you guys have talked her out of it.
quote:

Can't you just let her use her blender to make burgers out of ribeye steaks? I'm seriously pissed you guys have talked her out of it.

We only did it so we can talk her into pureeing a t-bone.
Instead of Ribeye burgers try "short rib burgers". I've heard of a restaurant in NYC that serves these. Braised short ribs are amonst my favorite indulgences of cow so I tried them. If you have any leftover braised short ribs mix the meat in with gound chuck while forming the patties. DO NOT put it in a blender!!!
I deplore meat the way DR Blank deplores alcohol. It's revolting and extremely unhealthy. By consuming meat and alcohol together you are significantly increasing your chances of dying. Just by reading some of the posts here, I can safely assume that most of you will probably die.
For a small fee I can make you practically immortal. Although it involves some penetration, it's pretty much a painless proceedure and requires no sticthes or follow up appointments. Let me know if you're interested.
Dr. Spitzvogel wrote:

"For a small fee I can make you practically immortal. Although it involves some penetration, it's pretty much a painless proceedure and requires no sticthes or follow up appointments. Let me know if you're interested."

EXACTLY what type of "penetration" are you referring to? I think that you are on the wrong board. I have nothing against homosexuality, I have a gay uncle, and I have many gay friends, but I do not think that this board is appropriate to discuss these issues Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Spitzvogel:
Although it involves some penetration, it's pretty much a painless proceedure

dang, not much self confidence there.

Bella...
Let us know how the blender works. Big Grin

Joe...Hi.
quote:
For a small fee I can make you practically immortal. Although it involves some penetration, it's pretty much a painless proceedure and requires no sticthes or follow up appointments. Let me know if you're interested.

Sounds like we could use a cross, a wood stake, and Buffy right about now...
Lets share the responcibilities - you take care of the cross and the stake, and I'll take care of Buffy. Big Grin Just kidding, I'm a happily married man. I'll take the cross.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Artist Formerly known as DJ Hombre:

Uhhh... aren't you forgetting who we're talking about? She ran over steaks with an SUV to tenderize them, couldn't follow a simple marinara sauce recipe (and then blamed the person who provided the recipe), and marvels over salmon with cheddar cheese...

This thread is hilarious! LOL! Big Grin Eek Big Grin

She also burns her eggs b/c she cooks them on high heat as they take too long too cook Confused and she doesn't want to spend all morning cooking eggs.

Bella - go for the blender. Not one person on here can say that they have actually tried "blendering" a ribeye and making hamburgers out of them. Until someone attempts this, no one will no for sure if it can be done!

Big Grin
This is so calling out to be video taped. Maybe you can make enough money to goto culinary school with the cash you will make selling the tape to Funniest Home Videos. I can see it now.

The rib eye goes in, oops forgot to remove the bone, back in sans bone, hit ice crusher, it spins a few times, binds up, begins to smoke out of the base, while reaching to unplug it, it tips over, the top pops off and then it kicks in and sprays meat all over the kitchen.

Can you say CHA CHING !!!!!!

The blender still spinning, smoking, meat everwhere and Bellas first thought is, man it was so much easier in the car than in the blender......
quote:
For a small fee I can make you practically immortal. Although it involves some penetration

Hey Spoogenoodle, I thought you didn't like meat?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.