Skip to main content

here's one from family archives:
you'll need one medium thanksgiving at room temperature. first, fill the bathtub with warm water and rub your thanksgiving with generous amount of Famous Grouse or Grey Goose. then you sprinkle the water with Dead Sea product of your choice and immerse your thanksgiving in it for good 2 hours. don't let it go dry though, keep the Grouse and/or the Goose close by and baste constantly. once done , transfer to the couch and let rest for half the cooking time while the game is on. any game, better if it's ping pong though. nothing like constant sounds of clicking and clacking of the ball(if you can call it that) and paddles. and never, never stop basting your thanksgiving!
once the game is over, don't despair, there is more basting to do. just switch to an ethnic channel, chances are they have something spicy on, like that medieval korean drama.(keep you fingers crossed, and you just might get it in color). and keep basting, son, with good luck and fortune your thanksgiving will not be bone dry...
Grunhauser, are you also coming to my Mom's house? We might also be brined in Greygoose that day.

Really,
Onions in Cheese Sauce
Quarter 4 yellow onions, boil in salted water for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Then make a roux with 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons flour. Heat on medium for about 2-3 minutes and stir until thick but don't let it brown. Add 1 cup milk and stir and thicken, about 5 minutes but watch to make sure it doesn't lump or burn. Add dash of white pepper, dash of nutmeg and 1/4 lb shredded Muentster cheese and stir until all melted. Add onions and serve.
Here it is, let me know what you think if you go through with it:

1 lb sausage meat (I use sweet Italian)
2 C. chopped onions (white or brown)
1.5 C. chopped celery sticks
5 C. crumbled yellow cornbread (she say a box cornbread is fine and that's what I use)
1 C. lightly packed crumbs from homemade style white bread
2 eggs lightly beaten
Salt and ground pepper to taste
1 tbs sage (I use fresh and chop it finely)
4 ounces (1 stick) melted butter

Break up the sausage meat and saute in a frying pan for several minutes, until the color changes from reddish to gray. Scrape into a large mixing bowl, leaving the fat in the pan. In the pan, saute the onions until tender (5-6 minutes); add the celery and saute 2 minutes more. Blend the onions and celery with the sausage, adding the crumbled corn bread, white crumbs and eggs. Season to taste and add butter.

I sometimes change the ratio of the cornbread and whitebread to to 3.5 to 2.5 to make the cornbread flavor a little less pronounced, but it is great either way. And if you are partial to sausage, I'm sure you could add another pound or more and it would still be wonderful.
Here's some good stuff. Not original to me, but I'll vouch for them in a heartbeat.

Cranberry Bread Pudding
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups Cranberry Compote or Sauce (see recipe)
1 cup pecan pieces, toasted and rough chopped
2 cups half-and-half
8 slices day-old brioche, French bread or other white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
Bourbon Spiced Cream, recipe follows
Shaker confectioners' sugar
Sprigs fresh mint

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 6-cup (9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 2 3/4-inch) loaf pan with butter.

Whisk together eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and cranberry sauce until very smooth. Stir in half-and-half. bread and pecans. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until the pudding is set in the center, about 55 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

To serve, cut the pudding into 1-inch thick slices. Top with the Bourbon Spiced cream. Garnish with confectioners' sugar and mint.

FRESH CRANBERRY COMPOTE:
1/2 pound fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups water
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Put the cranberries, orange and lemon zest, orange and lemon juice, sugar, vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, then stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Yield: 2 cups

BOURBON SPICED CREAM:
1 quart heavy cream
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Beat the cream and bourbon with an electric mixer on high speed in a large mixing bowl for about 2 minutes. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and beat again until the mixture thickens and forms stiff peaks, another 1 to 2 minutes. Yield: 4 cups

Cranberry-Orange Conserve
1 quart unfiltered cranberry juice
1/4 cup apple cider
1 cup sugar
1 orange, peel cut in large strips
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 bay leaves
1 cup toasted hazelnuts
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 pound fresh cranberries

In a medium saucepan, combine cranberry juice, apple cider, sugar, orange peel, ginger, and bay leaves. Simmer until the mixture is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Add the nuts, vinegar, and cranberries. Continue to cook until the cranberries burst, about 15 minutes.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Check out "Bon Appetit" and "Food and Wine."

Those are both nice enough, as recipes go, but not always realistic for "regular, everyday, non-chef people". Food and Wine is much better as a magazine in that Bon Appitit has more advertisements than articles. Another magazine that I have found very impressive is Cook's. It is however, a bit pricey and only comes out every other month, I think. It is though, a most useful magazine.

##

Reading is fundamental. Listening is a skill.
Sapril,

Here is a recipe that was passed along to my wife by her grandmother. It has been a part of our Thanksgiving celebrations for 25 years and has become a family favorite. We now make 6-8 loaves just to accomodate the requests for "a little to take home." This serves as a dessert (delicious with butter or without) or as a table bread which stands up beautifully to all the smoky/salty flavors on the traditional Thanksgiving table. The trick is to NOT bag or cover the bread at all, but to use foil to cover only the cut end of the loaf to keep it fresh. Leave the bread out at room temperature and the wonderful crunchy crust will offer a great counterpoint to the moist, rich and spicy bread. DAMN, I want some now!!

Grandma's Pumpkin Bread

3.5 cups flour
2 teas. baking soda
1.5 teas. salt
2 teas. cinnamon
1 teas. nutmeg
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
2 cups pumpkin (yes, canned)
3 cups sugar
1 cup pecans

Sift dry ingredients together. Mix pumpkin, water, oil and eggs together. Pour into dry mixture and mix well. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven one hour and 15 min. Cool before removing from pans.

Enjoy Smile

PH
A couple of my favorites:
garlic cauliflower,
portions per head of cauliflower
1 pack of cream cheese
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 stick butter
seasoned pepper
seasoned saly
LOTS of garlic to taste
Steam cauliflower for 10 min. Put cauliflower into casserole dish and mix with sauce top with buttered bread crumbs. broil until bread crumbs are browned.

number 2

Gouda potatoes
I layer rows of yukons and gouda cheese
with geen onions and vidalia oinions. Then
I pour heavy cream over to top dotting with butter and seasonings to taste each layer. You can top with seasoned buttered bread crumbs if you like. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
Another good one, not mine, but real good.

Skillet Cornbread

1/2 pound bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 jalapenos, seeded and diced
3 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
10 tablespoons melted unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 450 degree F.
Brown chopped bacon in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute until softened.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Quickly pour the cornmeal batter into the skillet.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm and golden brown on top. Let sit for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve hot with butter on the side.
Brussel Sprouts!

Bacon Garlic Brussel Sprouts to be more precise.....(my own original dabblings)

Blanche about 1.5 to 2 lbs of brussel sprouts - cool them off quick in cold water. Trim all and cut all but the smallest ones in half. Dice 1/2 lb of good bacon and coursely chop 8-10 cloves of garlic. Brown the bacon on hi and then add brussel sprouts and garlic and saute all for about 10 min or so - w/o straying far. Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper a bit and add olive oil a couple of times if things start to dry a bit - and keep going until the cut side of the sprouts has taken some good caramelly color and then stop - and serve 'em hot.

ALL brussel sprout foes have been defeated by this recipe to date! I'll be preparing a double to triple shot of this w/ the Tbird next thursday....
Purplehaze,

Thank you for the pumpkin bread recipe. Despite me starting a low carb diet, I couldn't sleep and decided to try out this new recipe...which turned out to be a minor disaster.

I didn't have vegetable oil, so I used olive oil instead. I put too much canned pumpkin and tried to cancel it out with 3 tablespoons of flour. Oh yeah, I mixed up the nutmeg and cinnamon. Recipe calls for 2 tsps of cinnamon and 1 of nutmeg, I switched it. So to cancel that out, I put an extra tsp of cinnamon.

Ok, the recipe wasn't followed exactly. Sorry to butcher your recipe, this is the second time I have screwed up dessert this month. First time was pumpkin pie a weeks ago (in which I put too much pumpkin also). Ahhhh!!!

The bread was edible, just smelled too much of nutmeg and not as sweet as it should be.
Purplehaze,

I have disappointed the bread making world again. Actually, I had a slice of the pumpkin bread this afternoon and it was good afterall.

Some people didn't like pumpkin, so my dumba$$ came up with the crazy idea of making banana nut bread tonight.

For some reason, nobody had really ripe bananas in stock. So I ended up smooshing ready to eat bananas in the recipe.

So far, the pans are still in the oven, the bread overflowed (but that is not a big problem) and the bread is brown on top and yellowish otherwise.

In 30 minutes, I'll see how it turns out and make another post.
quote:
For some reason, nobody had really ripe bananas in stock. So I ended up smooshing ready to eat bananas in the recipe.

My the time bananas are ready for bread (I like 'em when the skin is getting nice and blotchy) most stores have taken them off the shelves for aesthetic reasons. The only way to get a really ripe banana is to "do it yourself". Your adventures in the kitchen are proving to be a regular source of entertainment! Keep 'em coming! Big Grin

PH
The two loaves of banana nut bread were tossed out. The middle part sunk in after being pulled out of the oven and the bread was too soft and squishy.

What did I do wrong? The things I did differently: used melted butter instead of oil, used a different flour (that shouldn't make a difference) and of course the stupid bananas didn't help.

I'm going to try the pumpkin bread again tonight after I go get resupplied with ingredients.
Ok, here's one from the back of the rack. My mom used to make this as a pre-dinner appetizer on Thanksgiving. This comes from the 60's American School of "weird comfort food," but is actually pretty tasty. Tough to match a wine to this, but what the heck!

Bacon Pineapple Tidbits

Ingredients:

Canned pineapple chunks
Bacon
Toothpicks

Cut bacon so that it will wrap once around each pineapple chunk. Skewer with toothpick so that bacon is secure.

Now, in the "old days" this dish had to be done under a broiler, with constant attention and some rotating of the tidbits to get the bacon cooked evenly without burning it. It is actually the preferred way of doing it, because the bacon cooks more quickly thus leaving a moister chunk of pineapple inside

BUT

it works just fine in the nuker. Just blast the tidbits until the bacon is done. Be careful, because the pineapple will be hot as you know what when it first comes out of the microwave. Eek

PH
Sapril,

I've been laughing out loud reading of your exploits in the kitchen. Keep trying...I've tossed plenty of things I've made. (Out of the oven, into the trash...or "honey, if you want this, knock yourself out. But I'm not eating it!")

Speaking of the microwave, don't discredit that form of cooking too fast. You might not believe it, but my mom made our Thanksgiving turkey in the microwave for years. It turned out great. (Something like 9 mins per pound on Hi). But if you wanted it browned, you did have to put it in the oven for a few minutes. Nowadays, I don't think they make microwaves big enough to fit a turkey!

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Marie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.