Chef Shin Thompson is doing one last round of dinners in the old Bosoiree space before opening his new resturant on Lake Street in February 2013. Friends from our Saturday group, Rick and Cris, made reservations for the first of these dinners and invited us to join them. As it turns out, DanTheRhoneFan and his s.o. also had reservations. Our tables were next to one another, so the bottles were passed back and forth all evening long.
Amuse of Sashimi
- NV Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Cuvée Reserve Blanc de Blancs Brut Grand Cru - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne
Notes of minerals, citrus and ginger. Citrus, mineral and apple flavors with bright underlying acidity. (92 pts.)
Duck Confit & Mushroom Duxelle cooked with Cognac, 63 Degree Farm Egg, Toast Points, Black Truffle & Fines Herbs
- NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvée Brut - France, Champagne
Aromas of cashew, citrus and caramel apple and yeast. Flavors of apple, cashew butter and baked pear, along with citrus and dough qualities. Long finish. (93 pts.)
- 2007 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate Bottled - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
Opened by Rick & Cris. Bright aromas of cherry, clove, spice and raspberry. Balanced, with flavors of cherries and clove. Long finish. (92-93 pts.)
The Launois was a very nice match with this dish, pairing better than the jalapeno-laced Chatelain.
- 2011 Domaine Chatelain Sancerre Selection - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre
Opened by Rick & Cris. Pale color with lovely citrus and grassy notes. The palate follows the bouquet, though the grasay quality borders on jalapeno and was a bit of a distraction for me. The acidity cut through the richness of the motoyaki nicely, but the flavors were a bit odd. I much preferred the Launois with this dish. (88 pts.)
Kabocha Squash & Fuji Apple Soup, Roasted Corn, Seared Trout, Lobster Oil, Crispy Leeks
My favorite course tonight, boths Chards paired very well with this dish.
- 2004 Kistler Chardonnay Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
Deep color, with notes of toasted popcorn, butterscotch, mineral and creme brulee. Full-bodied with a rich texture and flavors of baked apple, vanilla, wet stone and creme brulee. Long finish. (93 pts.)
- 2007 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Bee Block - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
Opened by DanTheRhoneFan. Aromas of apple, tropical fruit, beeswax and toasted coconut. Well-balanced, with flavors of apple, lanolin, baked pear and butterscotch. Long, balanced finish. Terrific pairing with the soup. (94 pts.)
Crispy Skin Suzuki, Japanese Scallion Sy Beurre Blanc, Pearls of Sweet Potato & Grilled Asparagus
The Kistler paired better with this dish than the Chatelain, though had I saved a little Varner, I think that might have been the best match.
60 Hour "Zabuton" Wagyu Short Rib, Pommes Frites with Dust & Sea Salt, Karashi "Punch in the Face" Mustard, Chasseur Sauce
- 2009 Trisaetum Pinot Noir Trisae - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
Opened by DanTheRhoneFan. Opens with a terrific smoky aroma, followed by spice and red berry notes. Balanced, with lovely red fruit, cherry, mineral and earth notes. Nice acidity; long finish. Terrific with the short ribs. (92 pts.)
Matcha Cake Napoleon, Chocolate Sauce, Macerated Fresh Berries
- 2002 Philippe Prié Champagne Brut Tradition - France, Champagne
Opened by DanTheRhoneFan. Pale color with notes of chalk, limestone and Granny Smith apple. Medium bead, with apple, chalk and almond flavors. Crisp, clean finish with racy acidity. (90 pts.)
- 2002 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
Deep orangish gold color. Apricot, pineapple syrup and marmalade aromas. Rich texture, with flavors of honey, marmalade and apricot flavors. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker