Reccomendations for TV Show's Thread

theoldman posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Finished Bosch Season 4  excellent. Probably the best season so far. Great cast

For magic nerds like myself (and not to give a spoiler) it was obvious what the ring was, it even has a name. This was a great season and I loved that it hit so many characteristic spots of LA. It's hard to resist using the Bradbury building for the hundredth time.

Yup - that building is amazing.  The locations are cool as we just visted so the Dupars, Farmers' Market, 3rd and Fairfax scenes among other were fun to see

PH, I gave up at the beginning of the fourth episode. I like the cast very much, I like the milieu very much, but this season is going wrong in the way the first season went wrong. I had just finished the two episodes and was going to respond to you with how much I was liking it. Then I read your final post where you mentioned "a really creepy bad guy" and I though--uh oh. The problem with the first season was that William Hurt was a really over the top monster with weird sexual appetites. I felt I was watching a bad guy from one of those Marvel comic book movies. So after I watched the third episode and caught on about this season's over the top bad guy's fetish I said enough. In addition certain people getting killed felt like a rehash of last season's tropes.

FWIW, I had no problem with the dialogue through what I've watched. I just have no idea why this series thinks it needs almost subhuman monsters to make the show interesting. It's just too ridiculous.

Appreciate the perspective, TOM.  Agree on two things; I liked the cast, and they blew it.  Did you catch any of the North by Northwest allusions?

I still found the dialogue unnatural.  You should finish it up, if you can.  I'd appreciate your perspective on E7, which I found very weird but compelling.  

PH

I have not caught any NxNW references, up through three episodes, except for Billy watching it on TV. I can try to finish it, but like I said I'm hating the Marvel comic style bad guys. I see the IMDB ratings going from 8.3 to 8.5 for the first five episodes then into the 7s, ending with an abysmal 6.9 for the finale. Doesn't bode well. 

Update, PH, I'm essentially watching this for you (I'm trying to be that one other person who's pushed through to the ending.)  I have now finished five episodes. I love every minute of it except when the psycho over the top bad guys are doing their bad guy thing. I should complete and see episode seven that you mentioned by the end of the weekend.  Again however I've had not moments where I didn't like the dialogue. I especially like the verbal dance between the mayor and Billy in the last third of episode four.

And I loved the so talented Nina Arianda's prognostication of her future life with the guy who wants to go out with her.

Great series, but everyday money stealing, power grabbing bad guys work fine for me thank you.

If you're ever in LA we can hit sites from the series, but you know Chez Jay is now overrun with tourists and not the real experience anymore. You've go to hit Taylor's in Korea Town for that.

theoldman posted:

Update, PH, I'm essentially watching this for you (I'm trying to be that one other person who's pushed through to the ending.)  I have now finished five episodes. I love every minute of it except when the psycho over the top bad guys are doing their bad guy thing. I should complete and see episode seven that you mentioned by the end of the weekend.  Again however I've had not moments where I didn't like the dialogue. I especially like the verbal dance between the mayor and Billy in the last third of episode four.

And I loved the so talented Nina Arianda's prognostication of her future life with the guy who wants to go out with her.

Great series, but everyday money stealing, power grabbing bad guys work fine for me thank you.

If you're ever in LA we can hit sites from the series, but you know Chez Jay is now overrun with tourists and not the real experience anymore. You've go to hit Taylor's in Korea Town for that.

You're a real trouper, TOM.  Nina Arianda's character in this is excellent.  I love the combination of brass and vulnerability.  The VapoRum scene was a hoot.  If ever in LA, I'll definitely let you know.  That would be a blast.

PH

Yes, episode 7 was clever, and yes it was a cute NxNW reference. I did think I was watching The OA, because again we have more over the top bad guy bullshit. But that was a very good sci-fi mini-series and this is supposed to be in the real world. And then of course what happens in final episode was way, way, way over. But again there's so many great scenes when were not in fantasyland.

Anyway the transsexual judge is a great part and a great role. John Savage has been almost 300 parts; he's a survivor. Also a fan of Paul Ben-Victor, the bald bad guy. Many a great role including the abandoned and cut short, metaphysical John From Cincinnati. Its one season is available on HBO. Episode 9 may be the most unique episode I've ever seen on an TV show. But it ends in frustration because the show was cancelled.

Add Reply

Likes (0)