IndyBob will second Arrested Development.

A good replacement is "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."
Original Post
DO NOT miss series 3 of Torchwood when BBC Americas goes HD next week. They are also showing the Dr Who special Planet Of The Dead.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Top Gear in HD.
Big Grin I need to brush up and spend a little time with my Analrapist before the CDP. I tried Philadelphia and just didn't get into it. But, probably didn't give it enough time.

I've lately been hooked on The Wire. Started last month, and am midway through season Four now. Best drama I've ever seen. When I finish Season Five, I'm cueing it right back up at 1/1 again.
I love Arrested Development as well. I have them all on DVD and have been thinking of watching them all again as of late.

Right now we are finishing up season 1 of Mad Men and waiting for season 2 to come out on DVD next week. We hope to be caught up in time for the season 3 premier next month. The show is fantastic for anyone who has not seen it.
quote:

Right now we are finishing up season 1 of Mad Men and waiting for season 2 to come out on DVD next week. We hope to be caught up in time for the season 3 premier next month. The show is fantastic for anyone who has not seen it.

Agreed. I like the show, my wife LOVES it.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Big Grin I need to brush up and spend a little time with my Analrapist before the CDP. I tried Philadelphia and just didn't get into it. But, probably didn't give it enough time.

Big Grin
I love Arrested Development as well. They are coming out with a movie, I think!

So sad it is no longer on the air...

True Blood, Entourage, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report are my fix...
the few episodes of Nurse Jackie ive seen have been good...

add me to the Entourage camp as well...

besides that not really much of a TV watcher... Californication when i can, also Dave's recommendation of Top Gear as well...
I wish The West Wing was still on the air. Brilliant writing and acting - the cast really had chemistry. The same writing team sure flopped with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, though.

I'm all about Mad Men now (wait, that didn't sound right...) and still love Top Chef.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
I love Arrested Development as well. They are coming out with a movie, I think!

Has anyone heard the latest on this? There have been rumors back and forth about it for years and I have been hoping it would work out. But, I have somewhat thought that it might be best to leave that show as the treasure that it is and just move on, though, too.
quote:
Originally posted by chum lee:
quote:
"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

As funny as anything ever put on tv

You clearly have never seen Family Guy.
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
quote:
quote:

You clearly have never seen Family Guy.

Oh, have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone had heard...

(I said "as funny as"...not "funnier")
I don’t watch a ton of non sports TV, but these are on my current must watch list:

Lost (I can’t give up now!)
Entourage
Brotherhood
Damages (My current favorite show hands down)

I also watch Californication, Kitchen Nightmares (good call danny) and Top Gear when I catch them. I tried Breaking Bad and Mad Men but neither hooked me. I used to watch 24, but gave up during this season. Same story over and over and the worst cast of actors ever.

All time favorite shows are not very surprising, The Wire and Seinfeld. I watched the entire series of The Wire over the span of 3 weeks. I couldn’t stop. I think I’ll enjoy watching Seinfeld reruns forever.
Strongly agree on Mad Men & Arrested Developement.
As far as cancelled shows, the network suits are just as clueless as ever. To AD, add Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone this year. While not on the same level, they were different enough to be interesting, and something I could watch with the family.
God knows, we need room for more dancing and "reality" shows... Roll Eyes

What's currently on that I like besides Mad Men?
Saving Grace
Damages
Eureka
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong BBP:
DO NOT miss series 3 of Torchwood when BBC Americas goes HD next week. They are also showing the Dr Who special Planet Of The Dead.

Already programmed the DVR. Smile
Entourage
Hung - not sure I will stay with this. Good cast and some funny bits though
Madmen
Futurama - I read that it's back / coming back with new episodes

Currently re-viewing Arrested Development. About to begin Season 2 from Netflix.
I've been watching Trailer Park Boys, lately. It takes a while to warm up to it, but it's pretty darn funny. Bubbles is a funny character (figurative and literally.)
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Did anyone else watch the Joan Rivers Roast on Comedy Central?
Yes. Best joke of the night "Your plastic surgeon is worse than Kanye West's mom's."
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Did anyone else watch the Joan Rivers Roast on Comedy Central?
Yes. Best joke of the night "Your plastic surgeon is worse than Kanye West's mom's."

I thought that Giraldo was great, and Gilbert Gottfried was hilarious. Don Rickles always makes me laugh as well.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
I wish The West Wing was still on the air. Brilliant writing and acting - the cast really had chemistry. The same writing team sure flopped with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, though.

I'm all about Mad Men now (wait, that didn't sound right...) and still love Top Chef.

I too was a huge fan of The West Wing. Really awesome scripts and acting. You had to actually pay attention to the show to keep up with the plots. Last year when Hillary and Barack were dueling in the primaries I watched all 7 seasons on DVDs. It's very interesting to see how similar the Santos presidential campaigns of the West Wing was to real life.

I just started Mad Men, season 1. Enjoyable.
One episode left in season 2 of Mad Men and then we are ready for tomorrow night's season 3 premiere. Season 2 definitely was a bit less entertaining in the beginning than the first season, but it picked up in the latter half (seems like all shows do this).
My friend is a Joss Weedon nut and turned me onto Dollhouse. The show is fantastic. It just got picked up for its 2nd season.

Another show that got cut that I loved was Boomtown. It only lasted 1+ Season. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:
My friend is a Joss Weedon nut and turned me onto Dollhouse. The show is fantastic. It just got picked up for its 2nd season.

Another show that got cut that I loved was Boomtown. It only lasted 1+ Season. Frown

My co-worker thinks Weedon is a goldenboy, too. I've never understood the appeal. I've been a sci-fi nut ever since I was a kid, but neither Firefly nor Dollhouse could hold my interest. Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog was pretty good, though.
quote:
Originally posted by Noiregonian:
Top Gear, and Top Gear, and Top Gear again
It is a really fun show. Those guys have a great job.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I don’t watch a ton of non sports TV, but these are on my current must watch list:

Lost (I can’t give up now!)
Entourage
Brotherhood
Damages (My current favorite show hands down)
Adding True Blood to my list. They just started showing the first season in London and we are hooked. Was not an Anna Paquin fan before this show, but she is perfect for this role. Been staying away from the True Blood thread so I don’t find out what happens….
quote:
Anyone see Flash Forward? I'm hooked.

YES!!! Damn Abrams! This, and TUF Heavyweights are the only two shows I'm DVRing currently (My wife DVRs Mad Men though).
I love Arrested Development. That was a great show and I hate that it never caught on. Easily the funniest thing on TV at the time.

I am a huge Simpson's fan. The new stuff isn't that great, but the first 9 seasons or so were glorious.

My wife and have really been enjoying Flight of the Conchords. I also enjoy Top Chef and Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is hilarious. I hate to admit it, but I enjoy How I Met Your Mother. Without Barney though, that show would suck.
quote:

I have been watching and have found it to be a bit boring. I don't care for Joseph Fiennes as the lead in it.

But, my wife thinks it has been great so far. I will keep going with it for awhile.
Only one mention of The Wire so far. Simply the best show ever made for television...and it never received a single Emmie nomination.

Currently enjoying S3 of Californication. It's off to a great start.
the first season i almost gave up, but this second season is really kickass!

quote:
i had the first 8 or 9 of them dvr'd and when it came time to finally watch i just gave up and deleted them. i need another tv show like i need a hole in my head. i heard it was decent tho.

quote:
COMPLETELY!!! Big Grin

quote:
quote:

I think the breakout show for me this year is Modern Family. Tight scripts, hilarious cast, and funny as all get out.

The Middle has its moments, but those teenagers hit too close to home.
I'd highly recommend Modern Family and Glee. Your enjoyment of Glee would be enhanced if you have teenage children.

I am slowly catching up with the Good Wife. Nothing all that new there but well done.

For returning shows, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Big Love, and (later this year) Mad Men are worthy of your DVR space.

Neil
Anyone else out there watch Southland? I watched the first season on NBC and the season 2 premiere was on TNT last night. I find it to be a very entertaining show and thought they really did a good job last night.
Current shows I've been with since the beginning: Entourage, True Blood, How I Met Your Mother, South Park, Top Chef, The Office.

My newest Tivo season pass: Pawn Stars

Current shows I cannot get into: Lost(never appealed to me) Always Sunny...(Decently funny show, but Charlie's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me and cannot sit through an episode because of it.

Show I wish never existed: Family Guy
quote:
Anyone else out there watch Southland? I watched the first season on NBC and the season 2 premiere was on TNT last night. I find it to be a very entertaining show and thought they really did a good job last night.

I really enjoyed Southland but thought it had died forever - not sure we can get it here though Frown
Did anyone happen to catch the series finale of Nip/Tuck last night? Talk about a show ending, not with a bang, but a whimper.
This show seriously jumped the shark years ago, but it was still a guilty pleasure for me.
me and my wife just shook our heads at it's conclusion last night. horrible! Frown

quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Did anyone happen to catch the series finale of Nip/Tuck last night? Talk about a show ending, not with a bang, but a whimper.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
Justified starts tonight at 10 on FX. i have high hopes.

Looks good from the previews. I just wish FX could produce a show that wasn't shot through a blue filter. (Or yellow filter, in the case of The Shield.)
Anyone watching the series Spartacus on the Starz Network?

I can handle the gratuitous sex, but the slow-motion blood-spurting gore is often more than I can deal with. I'm not recording it, but I drop in on an episode occasionally and become either captivated or repulsed.

Definitely not for the squeamish.
first episode, not so good, but i'm certainly not throwing the towel in yet.

quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:

Looks good from the previews. I just wish FX could produce a show that wasn't shot through a blue filter. (Or yellow filter, in the case of The Shield.)
Saw the first episode of The Pacific - maybe I was too tired when I watched it but I didn't really think it was that great - I don't think they did a great job introducing the characters or laying the foundations for the series - was confusing and kind of boring.

Maybe it was me - I would certainly try it again.
I love Netflix!

Mad Men is a great show.

5 Seasons of Weeds is available instanly. I'm halfway through Season 2, I've laughed hard a lot.
you missed out, big time, if you did not rethink this and go back and catch up. seriously...

quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Saw the first episode of The Pacific - maybe I was too tired when I watched it but I didn't really think it was that great - I don't think they did a great job introducing the characters or laying the foundations for the series - was confusing and kind of boring.

Maybe it was me - I would certainly try it again.
Has anyone else been watching: America - The Story of Us on the History Channel? The production value is not great, but there are some great historical facts/anecdotes that have held our interest.

Also, the new season of Burn Notice starts this week. Two words: Gabrielle Anwar. Cool
still hangin' in there with justified. the standout character is obviously boyd.

watched season 2 finale of united states of tara and like treme, i am officially throwing in the towel.

quote:
quote:

watched season 2 finale of united states of tara

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TBird:

The daughter in that show is so HOT! The show does kind of suck though. I liked the 1st season but maybe it should have been a one off.
I don't like USA network shows for the most part but enjoyed Covert Affairs. I thought Piper Perabo was great.
Nikita

Between this and Vampire Diaries, Thursdays will definitely be my guilty pleasure nights this year. But honestly, both are good shows. (And by that I mean both have ridiculously hot actresses. Wink )
Thought I'd bring it up again that Southland is a great show. Season 3 premiered on TNT last week, and it did not disappoint. It is probably my favorite show on TV at this point.
both "shameless" and "episodes" seems to be worthy as of their first showing this past sunday(showtime).

upcoming the new "sparticus"(starz) season with a semi different cast. IN!
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Thought I'd bring it up again that Southland is a great show. Season 3 premiered on TNT last week, and it did not disappoint. It is probably my favorite show on TV at this point.

Agreed!
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:

Agreed!
Yep, one of my fav's too.
Just watched this week's Southland...wow. What I considered to be one of the strongest characters (he never seemed too flashy or had the big storylines, but he was very consistent and a key part of it, IMO) was taken out - quite a final scene they had. The show seems to push the limits of what can be shown on TV more than anything else around.

I was a bit disappointed that the scenes from next week didn't show much of a reaction to the death in terms of a stronger crackdown on those that committed the crime.
quote:
5 Seasons of Weeds is available instanly. I'm halfway through Season 2, I've laughed hard a lot.

We just finished Season 5 last night, and what a finish it was. Eek

We now have to wait for Season 6 to be mailed to us on DVD. Bummer. Big Grin
just wrapped up the "prequel" to Blood & Sand(Gods of the Arena), OMFn'G! complete and utter brilliance!

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
Anyone watching the series Spartacus on the Starz Network?

I can handle the gratuitous sex, but the slow-motion blood-spurting gore is often more than I can deal with. I'm not recording it, but I drop in on an episode occasionally and become either captivated or repulsed.

Definitely not for the squeamish.
I've been watching Being Human on the SyFy channel. It's a remake of a British show. The concept is: a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost are roommates and are trying to live as normally as they can. I know; as dumb as that sounds on paper, it really is an interesting show. It's not a sitcom, there's plenty of sex, blood and violence.
Anyone else watching The Killing? Just watched the first hour of tonight's double episode, and was pretty impressed. AMC seems to come up with great shows.
I watched it; the set-up seemed awfully slow, but I will watch to see if it gets better.
I think this is another series with some establishing shots set in Seattle, but the bulk of filming is probably set near Vancouver, BC, as I recognized very few of the exterior scenes. BTW, we do have electrical lighting in this town, so it's not quite that depressingly gray. Roll Eyes
I ended up watching the whole 2 hour premiere last night, and thought it was fantastic. I didn't find it slow at all, but rather very well presented. I'm a bit skeptical on its ability to keep up the quality over a full season of episodes, though.
I am watching Camelot.

I also liked Spartacus, season 1 and the prequel were pretty consistent throughout and can't wait for the next season.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I am watching Camelot.

I also liked Spartacus, season 1 and the prequel were pretty consistent throughout and can't wait for the next season.

Not sure what's going to happen. I heard the actor who plays Spartacus has cancer and that's why they went back in the storyline. Not sure what's happening...
quote:
quote:
same storyline(spartacus), new actor is his place, january 2012.

Bummer...

I think it is a bummer that Andy Whitfield has a serious illness.

I do like the fact that the show will continue into the servile war.
quote:
also watching, and liking, Camelot.

I am really liking the Starz programing.
My wife and I just finished watching The Kennedys on REELZ.

We both thought it was a very good mini-series with solid performances by the entire cast.
I've been enjoying The Killing, though sometimes it gets a tad slow. As far as major network TV, I think The Event has been pretty good overall.
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
I've been enjoying The Killing, though sometimes it gets a tad slow. As far as major network TV, I think The Event has been pretty good overall.

Glad to see someone else is watching The Killing and enjoying it. I don't find it slow at all, though. I enjoy how deliberate it is - compared to Rubicon (which I also enjoyed), it moves really fast...even though they are two very different shows.

I gave up on The Event last year before it took its break.
Not only do I find it slow, it's portrait of Seattle is depressing as hell; and I live here! I think it's shot through a blue filter, which makes daylight look like some eternal, wet twilight.
I'll give it one more episode to engage my interest before I call it quits.
yup! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Game of Thrones
Borgias
....will mention Camelot again.

3 great shows running right now.
I was really disappointed to se that Detroit 187 was cancelled. It was the best cop show since the Shield, IMHO and was getting lots of critical acclaim. Networks have no patience anymore. Frown Mad
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
I was really disappointed to se that Detroit 187 was cancelled. It was the best cop show since the Shield, IMHO and was getting lots of critical acclaim. Networks have no patience anymore. Frown Mad

True enough. It's getting to the point where I'm almost afraid to watch something new, for fear I'll get invested in it, only to have it cancelled prematurely by the idiot network suits.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.