I guess there is some new legislation that is going to make it impossible to produce raw milk. I only drink raw milk when I do buy milk. I cannot drink the pasteurized one, it gives me all the symptoms of lactose intolerance. I would like to be able to buy this product and it irritates me that it is being taken off the shelf. It appears that the CDFA is the organization that introduced the legislation. Mad
Original Post
Make friends with a farmer, or like Board-O says, buy a cow. I hadn't heard of the legislation (California only?), but raw milk was delicious when I've had it. I can hear the jeers already, but sample some of the alternative "milks," soy, almond, or rice, and see what you think.

Sacred Cow, any thoughts?
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong BBP:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I can hear the jeers already, but sample some of the alternative "milks," soy, almond, or rice, and see what you think.

That noise isn't jeering, it's puking.

Dave, why is GA using your computer?
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I guess there is some new legislation that is going to make it impossible to produce raw milk. I only drink raw milk when I do buy milk. I cannot drink the pasteurized one, it gives me all the symptoms of lactose intolerance. I would like to be able to buy this product and it irritates me that it is being taken off the shelf. It appears that the CDFA is the organization that introduced the legislation. Mad

As they say on Wikipedia, "Citation needed".
Last time I checked raw milk was legal in CA, and I find it hard to believe that the sandals-and-tofu brigade would allow something like that to get passed.

Before long there will be Medical Raw Milk clinics.
There will be farmers hanging out around Safeway.
"Dude. You looking for the white stuff? Check this out. This ain't your street cut 1%, this is full fat!"
quote:
quote:
quote:
I can hear the jeers already, but sample some of the alternative "milks," soy, almond, or rice, and see what you think.

That noise isn't jeering, it's puking.

Dave, why is GA using your computer?

Big Grin
quote:

"Dude. You looking for the white stuff? Check this out. This ain't your street cut 1%, this is full fat!"

Big Grin Back atcha.
quote:
As they say on Wikipedia, "Citation needed".
Last time I checked raw milk was legal in CA, and I find it hard to believe that the sandals-and-tofu brigade would allow something like that to get passed.

After all this time my word is not good enough for you? You are kind of a boner Dave, but I guess I still like you.

Citation
quote:
Make friends with a farmer, or like Board-O says, buy a cow. I hadn't heard of the legislation (California only?), but raw milk was delicious when I've had it. I can hear the jeers already, but sample some of the alternative "milks," soy, almond, or rice, and see what you think.

Getting a cow or even a goat is not an option. I do live by a farm though. Maybe they can help.

I won't touch anything soy, unless it is fermented. Soy is bad for you. As for the almond or rice milk, it won't provide the bacteria, enzymes or fatty acids that I am interested in.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
quote:
Soy is bad for you.

??? Millions of Japanese people don't think so.

Millions of Japanese people also smoke like it's a cure for cancer!

Good point. I just hadn't read/heard any evidence about soy actually being bad for you. I'm assuming spo is pitching the standard WS forum bastardization of the transitive property: If Soy=Hippies, and Hippies=Disgusting/Unhealthy, then Soy=Disgusting/Unhealthy.
quote:

spo, I can't say that I'd be sorry to see raw milk go away. It's purely selfish given the raw milk, raw sugar, and other in-vogue crap that my mother fed us. Your post made me shudder at the memory of some of that sh!t. Eek Mad Frown

Although I've never seen you as a tufu and sandals sort, why don't you try some naturally fermented Silk Soy milk. Smile
quote:

Sacred Cow, any thoughts?

I agree with you Indy, I am also jeering about the alternative "milks." Big Grin

Stupid humans. Next thing you know, your government will be requiring pasteurization of all cheeses or something ragingly stupid like that. Or legislating against foie gras and other natural foods. Eek Roll Eyes

quote:
If Soy=Hippies, and Hippies=Disgusting/Unhealthy, then Soy=Disgusting/Unhealthy.

Finally, some logic. Completely unexpected from an Earthling. Wink

Moo
quote:
After all this time my word is not good enough for you? You are kind of a boner Dave, but I guess I still like you.

So it wouldn't make raw milk illegal, it just raises the standard of sanitation to a level that 80% doesn't reach. But 20% does. Now whether the change in statute is justifiable or sensible I neither know nor care. How hard will it be to raise the quality of production to meet the new standard?

As tlily* always says, follow the money. Who is behind this legislation?

My grandma used to drink green top and it never did her any harm. I don't remember any significant difference between that and the silver top my mum bought, except that it seemed to go off quicker.

Dave

*I still have a hard time calling a guy Stefania_wine, but for some reason I have no trouble calling him tlily.
quote:
How hard will it be to raise the quality of production to meet the new standard?

From what I understand those bacteria are naturally occurring and can only be killed by pasteurization. So to answer your question it would be pretty hard i.e. impossible to produce it, remove these bacteria and still call the milk raw. It's not like they just need to ask people to wash their hands before they milk their cows. They also seem to have a pretty clean milking method. They actually milk the cans when they are not standing in puddles their own of piss and shyt.

What is green top?
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:
Will they still make cheese out of raw milk or no? These laws are getting out of hand.

No mention of it. Common sense would say it will eventually affect the cheese. But sometimes life, laws and rules go against common sense.
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
spo, I can't say that I'd be sorry to see raw milk go away. It's purely selfish given the raw milk, raw sugar, and other in-vogue crap that my mother fed us. Your post made me shudder at the memory of some of that sh!t. Eek Mad Frown

That is probably why you are rational and calm with a sharp mathematical mind.

Although I've never seen you as a tufu and sandals sort, why don't you try some naturally fermented Silk Soy milk. Smile

I don't think they ferment that, maybe I could throw a handful of kefir grains in there. I wonder if that would break down the phytic acid and other anti-nutrients.

quote:
What is green top?

I'm not an expert, but I'd suspect 'green top' is an endearing term used by farmers to describe the shiitake that rises to the top of the milking can - grass, blood, etc.

Do I get any bonus points? Smile Big Grin
quote:

What is green top?

Back in olden times, milk came in pint glass bottles, delivered to your doorstep every day by the milkman from the local farm. The colour of the foil top indicated the contents: Green for unpasteurised, blue for skimmed, pink for semi-skimmed, silver for whole milk and gold for Jersey milk (5% fat as opposed to 3% for whole milk).
quote:
Back in olden times, milk came in pint glass bottles, delivered to your doorstep every day by the milkman from the local farm. The colour of the foil top indicated the contents: Green for unpasteurised, blue for skimmed, pink for semi-skimmed, silver for whole milk and gold for Jersey milk (5% fat as opposed to 3% for whole milk).

I just read this in my Cliff Claven Boston accent.
@ spo,

i feel with you!

i also olny drink raw milk.

it is true that raw milk is dangerous! and it is good that over 99% of the population dos use only pasturised milk. but: as i dont think it is good to make a law to probiting raw milk!

raw milk (if from controlled clean producer, and consumed withhin 48 hours, always kept cold as 0-2°C) has benefits that no pasturised milk has. also because all pasturised milk on markets are homogenised and that is the worsed, i beleve that this is one of the reasons for the big cardio-problems we have.

for my person. i do drink raw milk.
if i am not 100% sure because i did transport it without cooler and ice, i do only use it as latte macchiato or yünann-tea-milk and it was "cooked" to 80°C for 5 minutes.

and i rahter drink water than indtstrial pasturised and homogenised milk.

btw.
i keep the milk always in glass, no plastic or any other container.
The problem with raw milk is it enters marketplace through regular channels as in mass production. Everything is different here - handling, storage, shelf life. This is where Whole Foods type stores fail and here you go, an opportunity for small, regional outlet is ready to go. Any takers? I did not think so. If you can't go back to pasteurized milk, buying a cow is the way of the future.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
quote:

I just read this in my Cliff Claven Boston accent.

I read it in a Daphne Moon 'Mancunian' accent and I understood it before I read it so it must have been right.
Hey - you wanna drink raw milk that’s your right - but I would be real careful where you source your milk. Find a good farmer that you trust and drop in on him every so often to check on his herd. Make sure that none of the teats are swollen, bright red, or have open sores or pimple looking things on them. People still die in the country from "milk fever" (killed Abraham Lincoln’s mom if I remember correctly). It is a horrible way to go. Even the illness aside - go to a dairy barn and see the nasty stuff that ends up in the milk - puss, s*&t, etc.... While I am not a huge milk fan - I want mine pasteurized!

Add Reply

Likes (0)