We usually don't drink wine with this, but the dish is so good we wanted to try, but match appropriately, and I'm no good at this.

Any suggestions, preferably a red?
Original Post
I would drink Syrah with just about anything but that probably isn't the best match for this. What about a Pinot from Oregon or a softer Spanish Grenache?
What will it be stuffed with? I'll assume you'll use a ricotta and sage stuffing with a brown butter sauce (note to self, make this, it sounds great). You can probably pair any number of wines... a barbera, an earthy rioja, an oaky chard.
mwagner7700,

When I've seen this served before it is generally stuffed with duck breast, minced celery, carrots, & garlic, mushrooms, sage, and rosemary. The sage is usually in the sauce along with butter and salt. This is a traditional meal in Northern Italy.
I've had the sage/brown butter sauce on top of pumpkin or squash stuffed ravioli....at Spaghettini in HB Cali...love it. Never paired it with a wine.

If you've got a great recipe for your ravioli, I hope you share.
We decided on a 2001 Bremer Family Chardonnay, and it worked great.

As for the recipe the ravioli was stuffed with ricotta and spinach.

It's pretty easy, just melt butter and add garlic to the pan add the ravioli until coated to liking, plate, add sage over the top and a bit of Parm cheese and enjoy.

It's really pretty easy so we have began to eat it a lot. You've got to watch the amount of butter, so we try to use salt-free and go light.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I would go with an aged Chateauneuf or Barolo, those are my two favorite pairings with a brown butter and sage sauce. Might also go with a red Burgundy if it is only stuffed with cheese and not a meat or vegetable.
quote:
Originally posted by Alta Skier:
mwagner7700,

When I've seen this served before it is generally stuffed with duck breast, minced celery, carrots, & garlic, mushrooms, sage, and rosemary. The sage is usually in the sauce along with butter and salt. This is a traditional meal in Northern Italy.

That sounds really tasty.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.