I see from fellow forumites the pics on what folks are drinking.

As there is no water on the table and folks are doing 2-3 btls per person, how the heck do you guys not wake up with a terrible hangover??

am i being an old man yelling at clouds?

Original Post

Can't speak for others, but our most recent wine get-togethers have been 1-1.5 bottles per person.  I try to go at least 1:1 on wine/water if not more.  We also take a LOT of time.  Last dinner with b-man and M was 4+ hours, and that was pretty short.  I drink a ton of water before retiring as well.  I figure that if I don't get up at least once in the middle of the night to take a leak, I haven't had enough water.  I'm not always high-functioning in the morning, but I am functional.  And get off my lawn.  

PH

Dinners with the TO crew often end up being 1.5-2 bottles per person. Recently at least one person has asked to keep it to one bottle per person, but it hasn't happened.

I'm 62 and not a big guy (5' 7" and 140 lb). I can't do 1.5 or 2 bottles without being totally incapacitated the next day. So now I take much smaller pours, skip some wines altogether, and drink lots of water. Much better.

Drink one glass, then drink another, and only then drink a third. Then pee. After that, you're almost empty so you should be able to finish the bottle. If there's more food and you haven't finished nibbling, you'll probably need another bottle to get through that. Follow the same rigid discipline with the second bottle.

And as with glasses, so with bottles. Never drink the third before you've had the second.

I also believe that over extending the bladder is unhealthy. Since wine is 85% water, you're constantly drinking water with the wine's alcohol and glycerol. So I tend to get my water already mixed with my wine and that seems to work.

At least that's what I tell myself.

I adhere to GregT's theory as well.  I apply a similar logic to tacos and pizza slices.

This discussion has reminded me of a friend i knew in university who swore that as long as she drank a glass of water for every drink she ordered at a bar she would be fine.  She still got drunk, still had a hangover, but spent most of the night having to run to the bathroom.  Still maintained her technique was infallible.

billhike posted:

Wife, friends and I always drink a decent amount of water. I think when I post pics on FB I tend to line the bottles up together. The water glasses donโ€™t add any worthwhile aesthetics. 

Bingo.  There is always water around, but it doesn't usually make it into the pictures.

thelostverse posted:
billhike posted:

Wife, friends and I always drink a decent amount of water. I think when I post pics on FB I tend to line the bottles up together. The water glasses donโ€™t add any worthwhile aesthetics. 

Bingo.  There is always water around, but it doesn't usually make it into the pictures.

Any time anyone offers me water, I say I'm trying to cut down. 

g-man posted:

I see from fellow forumites the pics on what folks are drinking.

As there is no water on the table and folks are doing 2-3 btls per person, how the heck do you guys not wake up with a terrible hangover??

am i being an old man yelling at clouds?

Add Reply

Likes (0)