Skip to main content

Checked in on these four wines the other week. I knew what they were of course, but had them blind with a Level 1 Somm friend, and a day later with my SO. All of these were delicious, and I had them without and with cheeses both times.

1. 2005 Ch. Clerc Milon. Big nose of rainforest, tobacco leaf, herbs, perhaps a little brett. Flavors of plum, herbs, mushrooms, moderate tannins/acidity. Hold for 5+ years. 93pts.

2. 2005 Ch. Duhart Milon. Pretty but reserved nose of fennel, forest floor, herbs. Flavors of ripe blackberries, plum, moderate tannins/acidity. Hold for 5+ years. 91pts.

3. 2005 Ch. Lascombes. Fantastic nose of plum, pepper, herbs, concrete/stone, something funky in there like marijuana. Flavors of licorice, plum, cherries, herbs, mild tannins, great acidic balance. Drink or hold. Gorgeous wine, 96pts.

4. 2005 Ch. Bahans Haut Brion. Nose of cinnamon and other pie spices, ripe plums, something chemically like acetone. Flavors of plum, fig paste, mellow tannins. Drink or hold. 95 pts.

BTW, I correctly guessed the regions of these both times...I clustered the two Pauillacs due to their similarity, and guessed the Margaux due to the gorgeous nose. Also, my preference for them was consistent during both tastings. FWIW, my somm. friend favored the two Pauillacs. My GF ranked them like I did, but liked the two Pauillac wines about equally.

Last edited by indybob
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@indybob posted:

Checked in on these four wines the other week. I knew what they were of course, but had them blind with a Level 1 Somm friend, and a day later with my SO. All of these were delicious, and I had them without and with cheeses both times.

1. 2005 Ch. Clerc Milon. Big nose of rainforest, tobacco leaf, herbs, perhaps a little brett. Flavors of plum, herbs, mushrooms, moderate tannins/acidity. Hold for 5+ years. 93pts.

2. 2005 Ch. Duhart Milon. Pretty but reserved nose of fennel, forest floor, herbs. Flavors of ripe blackberries, plum, moderate tannins/acidity. Hold for 5+ years. 91pts.

3. 2005 Ch. Lascombes. Fantastic nose of plum, pepper, herbs, concrete/stone, something funky in there like marijuana. Flavors of licorice, plum, cherries, herbs, mild tannins, great acidic balance. Drink or hold. Gorgeous wine, 96pts.

4. 2005 Ch. Bahans Haut Brion. Nose of cinnamon and other pie spices, ripe plums, something chemically like acetone. Flavors of plum, fig paste, mellow tannins. Drink or hold. 95 pts.

BTW, I correctly guessed the regions of these both times...I clustered the two Pauillacs due to their similarity, and guessed the Margaux due to the gorgeous nose. Also, my preference for them was consistent during both tastings. FWIW, my somm. friend favored the two Pauillacs. My GF ranked them like I did, but liked the two Pauillac wines about equally.

Thanks for posting, I am sitting on a bunch of '05 and the few I've tried recently definitely seem to indicate they need held for a bit longer.   

Did you decant these wines, and if so, for how long? 

Patespo1, yes, four hours. I opened them, smelled for corking, immediately filled empty 500ml Fiji bottles, eliminated the air at top, then sealed and put in the fridge for later tasting. Then I recorked, and let the remaining 250ml sit in the bottle for four hours before initial tasting.

The Pauillacs def need time, no rush, while the Lascombes and especially the Bahans are starting to be open for business according to my palate. BTW, I tried the Bahans shortly after release, and it was delicious then, so I think it's one of those Bdx that will be delicious to drink at all points of its life but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, we'll see.

I'm also sitting on a few '05 Ch. Brown and La Confessions which I have no idea about, as well as Guiraud sweeties (need time), and one remaining SHL blanc (very ready).

Last edited by indybob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.