Skip to main content

It was a fairly toothy 1970-something Beuajolais that introduced me to wine, but the Beaujolais road is a rocky one, even for Gamay lovers. 2000 produced some marginally drinkable Beaujolais and B. Villages, but some of the Crus were transcendent. 2001 was a bust all the way around, except for some pleasant but overpriced crus. 2002 was much anticipated, though you have to wonder how much of the hype was the DeBeouf marketing team going into overdrive, because the regular Beaujolais and Villages were undrinkable, and the crus were not overpowering, though well done.

Well, I can't wait to get into the 2003 Cru Beaujolais if this BV is any indication. Light, as one would expect, but nicely concentrated, with the trademark black cherry and raspberry notes nicely accented by a bracing, but not sour, acidity. None of the off-putting banana notes that marred the 2002 BV's.

This wine earns a solid B in my gradebook. For $9, the QPR is very good.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Spencer, funny you are mentioning these wines (Beaujolais).

A wine store I go to emailed me these for sale:

2003 Georges Duboeuf Julienas la Trinquee
2003 Georges Duboeuf Moulin A Vent Domaine des Rosiers

I have never had these wines, but they are around $11-$12 and he has WA rating them both in the low 90's. I have no clue on these wines.

Any insight? Seems like a very good QPR. What's with the 2003 and why so cheap?

Anyone else, feel free to chime if you are familiar with Georges Duboeuf or this style.
Hunter,
The 2000's were exceptional, so the prices on the 2001's were high. Unfortunately, 2001 was a poor vintage for Beaujolais. 2002 was a very good vintage, but a lot of retailers were overstocked on the 2001's and gave the 2002's a pass. So, I guess, the prices on the exceptional 2003 vintage are back in line.

Beaujolais at it's best is a light, sometimes crisp wine. It can taste of berries and sometimes elementally of grapes. Some Beaujolais, like Morgon, can be more serious, with tannic structure and blackberries. Beaujolais may be the quintessential "wine and cheese" wine, paring well with lighter food.

George Duboeuf doesn't produce the best Beaujolais, but may produce the best QPR Beaujolais.

Try a bottle. The Gamay grape is a bit light and fruity for some, but if you don't take your wine too seriously, there may be a place for it in your wine rack.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.