Hello Blake. Welcome to the WS forums. As I see that your new, typically items sold here are done so amongst trusted members and provide provenance of those items. Additionally, at minimum, items are offered at a price very close to low retail in the market, often 10-20% below that, as a retailer can offer the buyer a recourse mechanism in the event they’re dissatisfied with the item. A private buyer really cannoy offer such assurances. A simple online search turns up many retailers offering this bottling, with gift box, in the $150 range. Is there something special about this bottling that demands a premium of 33% more than what the current market is (i.e. Age statement, signed by mater distiller, or a special edition like the George V edition)? Or are you just calling on assistance from everyone’s good buddy, Max Profitzz

Hey PaulJr1121,

Per provenance, how far back in the item's history would you like me to go?

I am showing one main result from the simple Google search which has the bottle and a 'product box' listed at a total of $170. I am not sure whether the product box will be the same as the case mine is in, it could be one of those much cheaper displays. If you know differently please let me know. The price is not firm and I expected to be haggled a bit. Do you want to buy or are you just commenting? 

PATESPO1,

Yes, I gleaned his pretentiousness quickly, given his veil of verbosity... some people apparently need satisfaction from superficial posturing. At any rate, I did eventually distill some advice. I’ll probably drop the price to about 170-180$, but no lower. I won’t have trouble selling it locally for any cheaper than that. Thanks for the clarification by the way! 

I saw that as well, but couldn't verify that the case pictured would actually come with the bottle. Since the listing just says the bottle, I was dubious; and especially since other sites which do offer the case are much more. Nearly every offer that fails to mention, or explicitly state inclusion of the case, has disappointed me before. But, if you can verify that you actually get the case pictured, and not just what the listing states, then I will drop my price for sure. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! 

Blake posted:

PATESPO1,

Yes, I gleaned his pretentiousness quickly, given his veil of verbosity... some people apparently need satisfaction from superficial posturing. At any rate, I did eventually distill some advice. I’ll probably drop the price to about 170-180$, but no lower. I won’t have trouble selling it locally for any cheaper than that. Thanks for the clarification by the way! 

In the course of further gleaning, I suggest that you glean the proper use of the ellipsis.

PaulJR,

You are a troll. You had about 4 errors in your (not you're) original message. In an informal chat scenario you come off as ignorant as someone complaining about acronyms and jargon in texting. Stop Googling "use of ellipsis" and either be productive or move on. Still waiting on the PM reply.

Blake posted:

PaulJR,

either be productive or move on.

No. I’m good here. I think I’ll stick around a little longer. I’m sorry that you created an account today with the expectation that a collection of uneducated rubes were going to overpay for your whiskey that can literally be purchased at any mid level liquor store in the country. You’re either too obtuse to realize that Patespo and Seaqum were basically telling you that you’re full of shit and your price is out of whack, or you lack the mental acumen to comprehend it. 

You will not sell this here. You will eventually go away and never come back. You will never contribute anything of substance or value to these boards. So just do us all a solid and delete your account now.

PaulJR,

Is this the official welcoming for someone who has never sold liquor before?

Wow, I am sorry you are so butthurt about something so trivial as a whiskey posting. Did you notice I decreased my asking price? That is a direct result of Patespo and Seaqum's comments. If I never come back it might just be because children like you can't handle the normal social process of reinforcement and calibration. It is actually sad that you clearly have to speak in such strong language because you are way too attached to how your ego fares in a situation like this. I was kind of enjoying this ridiculous back and forth but how about this surprisingly ethical solution: you win. I apologize for any offense I might have caused you. I take full responsibility for inciting such riotous behavior from you and contributing to the tone myself. 

Having bought alot of johnny walker blue.

They all come with a blue gift box.  If you're buying walker blue without a gift box, that means someone already opened the box and probably drank it and refilled it with something else.

Honestly your price is simply above market for a private seller.

This bottle is 150-160$ from a reputable retail store where someone can just walk in and pick it up at any time.

For 180-200$ you can even get it custom engraved.

Bomba: yeah I agree and they already study Facebook. I meant so that I could ask them about any demographically matchups they might have found. That’s why I just said it out of curiosity. 

Gman: ok good to know, thank you. Can you please tell me why so many places sell this bottle in the box for right at $180-200 (including online)? I bought this from a guy who purchased it retail for 200$ exactly. I also went to 3 different retail stores and found it to be similarly priced. Why would this be? It couldn’t be regional, I don’t think. Thank you for any feedback.

Blake posted:

Bomba: yeah I agree and they already study Facebook. I meant so that I could ask them about any demographically matchups they might have found. That’s why I just said it out of curiosity. 

Gman: ok good to know, thank you. Can you please tell me why so many places sell this bottle in the box for right at $180-200 (including online)? I bought this from a guy who purchased it retail for 200$ exactly. I also went to 3 different retail stores and found it to be similarly priced. Why would this be? It couldn’t be regional, I don’t think. Thank you for any feedback.

It is quasi regional

for 200$ you can acutalyl goto johnny walker .com and get it custom engraved for you (free shipping during some months)  During the pre holiday rush johnny walker themselves have this at a discounted 175$.

Some of the bigger states like California and Texas, you can easily score a bottle for < 175$.

In NY, that bottle is 180$, but I can just hop over to New Jersey and pick it up for 150$.

Since you're trying to potentially sell it to a bunch of folks on the internet, you deal with a much larger and more efficient market than you might see locally, ergo the egging when a new user comes online and tries to sell something potentially above "retail"

Btw if you travel, you can pick this up duty free at the airport for 130-150$

Depends where you are.

Honestly, I'd go with your suggestion and go for a local transaction, otherwise you'd lose out on shipping costs, not to mention the headache of shipping, following up and worrying about if the package gets lost in shipment (it's illegal to ship alcohol across state lines without the appropriate licenses in the various states you're shipping from and to).

Even better, if someone paid 200$, see if you can just return it to the store.  In NY, the merchant can certainly take back any unopened containers for a full refund.

Blake posted:

Alright that’s a great idea, I’ll literally just try and return it. If that doesn’t work, I’ll sell it to the guy who offered me $175. Thanks again for your help. I’m going to remove this post now. 

haha stick around and enjoy the folks on the forum.

It's a good group.

g-man posted:
Blake posted:

Alright that’s a great idea, I’ll literally just try and return it. If that doesn’t work, I’ll sell it to the guy who offered me $175. Thanks again for your help. I’m going to remove this post now. 

It's a good group.

Honestly Blake, do stick around. Anybody who takes the time to call all his local retailers to conduct a price check is welcome here. Just know that anyone who comes into buying and selling to make their first post is going to raise the suspicions of the members and we are a collective of malcontents and jokers. We typically come down on that stuff hard. It’s a great group of people here. Hell, g-man seems to like you and I’m not sure he really likes anyone. Welcome!

pauljr1121 posted:
g-man posted:
Blake posted:

It's a good group.

Honestly Blake, do stick around. Anybody who takes the time to call all his local retailers to conduct a price check is welcome here. Just know that anyone who comes into buying and selling to make their first post is going to raise the suspicions of the members and we are a collective of malcontents and jokers. We typically come down on that stuff hard. It’s a great group of people here. Hell, g-man seems to like you and I’m not sure he really likes anyone. Welcome!

I left my sense of humor in a fire, and a 54' lafite came out.

Alright cool, I guess I will stick around. I understand how it looked like I was trying to rip people off now and also that the forum doesn’t take kindly to such. This seems to be the place to actually get fairly priced liquor since it’s so heavily enforced! Also, I’m glad to have buried the hatchet PaulJR. 👍🏻👍🏻

Add Reply

Likes (0)