Pretty cool...

So check this out....

Penfolds wants to fly all the way from Australia to use our wine cellar for a photo shoot for pretty much one wine...the Grange, of course.
So, a deal was negotiated last week and they will be here all day Monday and Tuesday hanging with me in the cellar. Part of the deal includes 2 cases of Grange. Now....it would be illegal for us to sell this, so it looks like this wine will end up in our own cellars at home.
Not bad....
Original Post
No, it's just the one vintage....2008.
It's pretty crazy though, as they had my cellar all rearranged in such fashion that when you look at the picks, you can't even tell it's the same cellar. They've got like a crew of 7 people here just to photograph 1 bottle of wine!
They're pretty cool Aussies though. There's a couple of reps from the winery here too and they were saying they wanted me to sit down with them tomorrow night when the shoot's complete and we can all crack open a few bottles. I expressed some concern over bottleshock, but she said they took great care in the transport of the wine, so I guess we'll see!
quote:
Originally posted by Bordeaux4Wino:
There's a couple of reps from the winery here too and they were saying they wanted me to sit down with them tomorrow night when the shoot's complete and we can all crack open a few bottles. I expressed some concern over bottleshock, but she said they took great care in the transport of the wine, so I guess we'll see!

Be careful with Australians, they may only leave you with a bottle or two. Wink

It also may be cool to introduce them to some wines from the states.
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
Did you enter your cellar in a contest? If not, how did they pick your cellar? Either way, this is pretty cool!

No, there was no contest. We just got a call from them that they scouted numerous venues and wanted to use our cellar. They must have had stock photos or just used the web. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll ask them today.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
There's a couple of reps from the winery here too and they were saying they wanted me to sit down with them tomorrow night when the shoot's complete and we can all crack open a few bottles. I expressed some concern over bottleshock, but she said they took great care in the transport of the wine, so I guess we'll see!

Be careful with Australians, they may only leave you with a bottle or two. Wink
Ha...surprisingly, they weren't drinking much last night in the pub after they were done working for the day! Maybe they will tonight.

It also may be cool to introduce them to some wines from the states.

Yeah, I was talking to them about US wine. They really don't know much outside of Aus...I was kinda surprised. Then, last night, the rep was having a glass of semi-dry Riesling from the Finger Lakes, and she asked the server in the pub where all the RS came from! The server explained as I had trained him, but when he reported back to me, I thought that was weird. Huh.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Definitely cool. Do you live in Australia?

No, No, I'm in NY State.....not sure why my location never shows up...huh.
Anyway, they came a long way.

Oh wait, I recall this,

btw you never emailed me or i never got it
can you shoot me again please?

ghiman a@t
gmail.com
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Definitely cool. Do you live in Australia?

No, No, I'm in NY State.....not sure why my location never shows up...huh.
Anyway, they came a long way.

Oh wait, I recall this,

btw you never emailed me or i never got it
can you shoot me again please?

ghiman a@t
gmail.com

I was supposed to e-mail you??? I didn't remember that, but sure...I'll shoot one off...
So, this was kinda funny, so I thought I'd revisit this.
A few days ago, I was leafing through the most recent copy of Wine Spect...or at least a fairly recent copy, the June 15th edition about the Mendocino Pinot country...and about a third of the way through, smack right there on a full 2-page spread is a pic of our wine cellar with a bottle of Penfold's Grange on a table with a cushy chair. Beautiful shot too! The POV is looking into the cellar from just outside the open door. All the labels on the racks behind the table are blurred, but it's funny, because I can mostly make out from the bottle shapes what's there. The shot includes the bays of new pinots, Bordeaux, Burg, and Rhone.
It was just kinda of surreal to see that...
I wish I'd known about your place earlier!
I'll be in Lake Placid next month celebrating my parents 50th at the Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club.

I sent a bunch of '63s (mostly port and a few BV GdLT and Krug VS) up for the party, but will definitely stop by your place for a glass or two!
Thanks for the nice comments all.
Kid Lightning, sorry we'll miss you this round. Please come see me at the Lodge though when you're here. Crown Plaza does have a beautiful view....you'll enjoy it. I can fill you in on dining options though, if you want....e.g., the Veranda at the Plaza would not be on that list, but let me know.

Add Reply

Likes (0)