Steamed fillet of halibut with watercress mousse, asparagus spears and chervil sauce.

Followed by saddle of new season Windsor lamb, with herb stuffing, spring vegetables and port sauce.

Dessert:  Strawberry sable pudding with lemon verbena cream – made of crisp biscuits, smooth pastry cream and fresh strawberries.

To finish the meal off, they’ll enjoy coffee and petit fours.

The President doesn't drink alcohol. 

(He'll doubtless get some KFC chicken or McD's hamburgers delivered to the place he's staying later)

Original Post
Rothko posted:

Although our President does not drink wine, I wonder what the rest of the folks enjoyed.

I assume that they have French champagne and wines, but now that I think about it, maybe they have wines from Commonwealth countries?

The Royal family is into Champagne and Bordeaux.  I hope the Queen had a good meal.  I suspect she needed a few stiff drinks today.

Too bad they had to spoil a great meal with a heathen.   The queen over extended herself on this meal.

My honey asked today "Why do they have to have a State Dinner and the Pomp and Circumstance for a US President?"   Could not answer that one.

Also is a toast really a toast when one person uses diet Coke?

People give the President a lot of grief over the fact that foreign dignitaries frequently stay at his Trump hotels, and thus, he earns money from these events.  Well, presumably, the British taxpayers paid for the sparkling wine that came from the Queen's vineyard, and thus, she profited from this.  Now, far be it from me to criticize the Queen.  I would never do that.  To borrow a phrase from Oscar Wilde, "The Queen is not a subject."  I'm allowed to criticize the President (which I do frequently and on more substantive matters) because I am a US citizen.

Again, it's a little surprising to me that they would serve so much French wine at the State Dinner.  I would have gone for a mix of Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, and South African wines.  

It's a minor point, but it sends a message to the Commonwealth countries.  What the royals drink in private is their own business, but at a State Dinner, you should be exhibiting foods and drink from your own country, or if you can't, from close allies.  In this case, the Commonwealth.

I seem to recall that the U.S. has been doing this for a long time - serving American sparklers, whites, reds and dessert wines at U.S. State Dinners.

Add Reply

Likes (0)