Skip to main content

I will second the opinions for the Alsace wines - Riesling, Pinot Gris or Gewurztraminer - with a big Caveat.

The reason (IMHO) these wines work in Alsace is the French method of preparing choucroute (sauerkraut) where the pickled cabbage is rinsed/soaked extensively to remove nearly all the vinegar. It is then braised in broth and pork fat and then slow cooked again.

Google some recipes for choucroute or choucroute garni. You will never want that vinegary mess called sauerkraut again.

cheers,
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
I will second the opinions for the Alsace wines - Riesling, Pinot Gris or Gewurztraminer - with a big Caveat.

The reason (IMHO) these wines work in Alsace is the French method of preparing choucroute (sauerkraut) where the pickled cabbage is rinsed/soaked extensively to remove nearly all the vinegar. It is then braised in broth and pork fat and then slow cooked again.

Google some recipes for choucroute or choucroute garni. You will never want that vinegary mess called sauerkraut again.

cheers,


That sheds a different light on the entire matter. If we're not talking about a vinegary 'kraut, then we can just think, "braised pork and boiled cabbage," which opens up the wine options considerably. I'd go with a Syrah or a Rhone wine, myself.

Most of the sauerkraut I've been fed is indeed SOUR, which pretty much precludes wine.
What Gambit said, except it's more than just the French who know how to properly prepare sauerkraut. The only place I've had straight out-of-the-can, vinegary, crunchy sauerkraut is here in the U.S. (And, of course I've had it done well here, in many different styles, too.)

As a contrarian, I brought sauerkraut to a pork-themed event at the Stefania house, and just referred to it as a cabbage dish. Went over well, and went well with the wines

It should be savory, with an almost melt in your mouth quality. Appetite stimulating and orgasmic. Just de-lish.

Syrah or Riesling are the best matches.
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
What Gambit said, except it's more than just the French who know how to properly prepare sauerkraut. The only place I've had straight out-of-the-can, vinegary, crunchy sauerkraut is here in the U.S. (And, of course I've had it done well here, in many different styles, too.)

As a contrarian, I brought sauerkraut to a pork-themed event at the Stefania house, and just referred to it as a cabbage dish. Went over well, and went well with the wines

It should be savory, with an almost melt in your mouth quality. Appetite stimulating and orgasmic. Just de-lish.

Syrah or Riesling are the best matches.


would you say such sauerkraut goes with ribs?
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
What Gambit said, except it's more than just the French who know how to properly prepare sauerkraut. The only place I've had straight out-of-the-can, vinegary, crunchy sauerkraut is here in the U.S. (And, of course I've had it done well here, in many different styles, too.)

As a contrarian, I brought sauerkraut to a pork-themed event at the Stefania house, and just referred to it as a cabbage dish. Went over well, and went well with the wines

It should be savory, with an almost melt in your mouth quality. Appetite stimulating and orgasmic. Just de-lish.

Syrah or Riesling are the best matches.


would you say such sauerkraut goes with ribs?


Sure. Anything pork.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×