Poll: What Region is the Highest Represented in your Cellar?

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
FRANCE 58%
Burgundy 26%
Bordeaux 23%
Loire 6%
other 3%

USA 21%
Oregon 17%
Cali 3%
Wash 2%

ITALY 9%
Tuscany 6%
other 3%

SPAIN 6%
Rioja 4%
other 2%

GERMANY 4%

OTHER 2%

Not much change:

FRANCE 63%
Burgundy 29%
Bordeaux 21%
Loire 9%
other 4%

USA 18%
Oregon 16%
other 2%

ITALY 10%
Tuscany 7%
other 3%

SPAIN 5%
Rioja 4%
other 1%

GERMANY 4%

OTHER 1%
Here is my current breakdown. In parenthesis is the change since I last posted in May 2010:

Bordeaux 23.7% (+3.2)
Germany 21.8% (-0.7)
Italy 10.9% (-1.6)
Rhône 6.3% (+0.5)
California 6.0% (-0.3)
Austria 4.7% (-0.8)
Champagne 3.2% (+2.7)
Australia 2.5% (-1.0)
Portugal 2.5% (-0.5)
Burgundy 2.4% (-0.1)
Michigan 2.3% (-0.7)
Spain 2.2% (no change)
Hungary 2.1% (-0.4)
Oregon 2% (no change)
Alsace 1.6% (-0.9)
Other 5.8%

Bordeaux has taken over the top spot from Germany. My bottles of Champagne have more than quintupled. Only Bordeaux, Rhone and Champagne increased.

VM
California still holds the top spot, but the proportion of "old school" producers has increased dramatically vis a vis cult/modern styled ones. The biggest percentage change goes to Burgundy, which increased quite a bit. Champagne is up there too.

Goal for the next 12 months is to increase our holdings of older Bordeaux (1989, 1990 & 1995), Cote Rotie and Barolo.
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:

Goal for the next 12 months is to increase our holdings of older Bordeaux (1989, 1990 & 1995), Cote Rotie and Barolo.

Let's have some more offlines. I think one of my goals for the next twelve months it to consume your holdings of older Bordeaux, Cote Rotie, and Barolo.....
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
France is 63%. Too many eggs in one basket.
If you are going to pick one basket, that is not a bad one....

GlennK, we are not talking Lafite, Romanee Conti and Guigal La Cote Roties. The money I sunk into France could have been spent wiser elsewhere.
quote:
quote:

Completely agree. Regardless of what price range you are shopping at, the best wines overall.

If you said I will never spend over $30 for wine, France is the go to region without question for options and quality.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
quote:

Completely agree. Regardless of what price range you are shopping at, the best wines overall.

If you said I will never spend over $30 for wine, France is the go to region without question for options and quality.

I have enjoyed plenty of wines from France. But there more than any other region I will love a wine one vintage and hate it the next. I have had better luck with just about everyone of France's neighbors. Especially at $30 and under.

By the way, no good place to ask this so mine as well be here.... wine+art, do you have a friend or aquaintance who wrote a book about Pol Pot?
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:

What an interesting question! I'd love to hear the backstory on that question.

I almost feel it would be kinder not to answer and leave you with some mystique! Razz I was reading a book about Pol Pot and the author acknowledged someone with the same name as wine+art so it made me curious.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
CdP is most represented in mine, at about 20%, followed by Piedmont. Given the ever increasing ripeness, abv and price points of many CdP, I'm buying much less and expect Piedmont to lead in a few years.
I have stopped buying CdP for the same reasons. The recent vintages have been too hot for me based on what I have tasted.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gmbdds:

I will now duck for cover. But seriously, my Australian wine is dwindling over the years but I still enjoy several.

Do you like any Western Australian wine?

Sorry spo, I've been away from the board for a while. I have a curiosity about Western Australia but very little exposure. I've never even tried Leeuwin.
Four years ago Bordeaux dominated the cellar by 2 to 1 over everyewhere else. Now California is in the top spot as I have developed a very serious affliction for older Cali cabs. Another thing that is noticeable is that Australia has almost completely disappeared.
quote:
Originally posted by Perry Sound:
Then, as I began to find that residual sugar in red wine bothered me, I shifted strongly away from CA, and started big on various Italian wines. For me Italy is the best wine country in the world - incredible variety, classical styles - I'm rarely disappointed ... which I can't say for any other country in the world.

Well stated, Perry (although you neglected to mention Australia). I've made this journey myself and arrived at the same place!
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will now duck for cover. But seriously, my Australian wine is dwindling over the years but I still enjoy several.

Do you like any Western Australian wine?

Sorry spo, I've been away from the board for a while. I have a curiosity about Western Australia but very little exposure. I've never even tried Leeuwin.

No sweat, gmbdds. For me these wines are where it is at for the Aussie stuff. Based on a small amount though.
2012: Bordeaux is still the top % at just over 65%.....although i'm buying very very little these days. Champagne is up while Rhone and Burgundy are steady. Consumption of Loire is up, while inventory is down....go figure....

California is down to just about 4%
Other US states are way up including New York, Michigan, Missouri, Virginia, Illinois, Idaho & New Mexico....all combined are about 7%
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
2012: Bordeaux is still the top % at just over 65%.....although i'm buying very very little these days. Champagne is up while Rhone and Burgundy are steady. Consumption of Loire is up, while inventory is down....go figure....

California is down to just about 4%
Other US states are way up including New York, Michigan, Missouri, Virginia, Illinois, Idaho & New Mexico....all combined are about 7%

What have you found from Illinois that's worth having?
California represents a little more than 50% of my stuff, primarily because I was traveling a lot to Napa and Sonoma as I was really getting into wine and joined several wine clubs after tastings. That is slowly changing as Italy, Spain and South America creep up, as well as Texas wines.

I realize that last statement made many of you cringe, but there are some decent wines around here!
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
California Central Coast 17.49%
Sonoma County 14.45%
Napa Valley 9.82%
Tuscany 8.13%
Médoc 7.45%
Southern Rhône 5.42%

And if you drink a bottle with dinner this evening, will that affect the first decimal figure or only the second? Banana
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I sense movement:
Rhone 27% (almost entirely southern rhone)
Burgundy 18% (this is trending up, and I expect it will continue to)
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 15%
Bordeaux 13%

Less than 1 month later:
Rhone 26%
Burgundy 22%
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 14%
Bordeaux 12%

and I have a few more red burg purchases I'm eyeing.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
48.99% France (Bordeaux edges Rhone by 2 bottles)
28.86% USA (California by a 2-1 ratio over Washington)
5.37% each for Italy and Spain
4.03% Germany
2.01% each for Argentina, Australia and Chile
1.34% New Zealand

Due to recent shipment arrivals, there has been a change in the balance of power. USA is now 45.73%. France is 36.18%. Followed by Spain, Italy, Germany, Chile then Australia. The recent shipments were mixed cases from Stefania and Rasa. We also recently bought a case of Mumm Napa sparklers. I have 10 or so assorted Gigondas and CDP coming in the near future.
quote:
quote:
I sense movement:
Rhone 27% (almost entirely southern rhone)
Burgundy 18% (this is trending up, and I expect it will continue to)
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 15%
Bordeaux 13%

Less than 1 month later:
Rhone 26%
Burgundy 22%
Piedmont 15%
Oregon 14%
Bordeaux 12%

and I have a few more red burg purchases I'm eyeing.

And now
Rhone 26%
Burgundy 23%
Bordeaux 14%
Oregon 13%
Piedmont 13%

I haven't been consciously accumulating bordeaux but have picked up some. I predict that Burgundy will surpass Rhone by the end of the year.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
A few changes over the past year:
California 36%
Tuscany 16%
Bordeaux 15%
Oregon 9%
Rhone 6%
Washington 5%
Piedmont 5%
Germany 2%
Others 1% or lower

Not much change, except for the growth in CA:
California 43%
Tuscany 16%
Bordeaux 14%
Oregon 8%
Rhone 4%
Piedmont 3%
Washington 3%
Burgundy 3%
Germany 2%
Others 1% or lower

Bordeaux & Rhone up some, Tuscany down quite a bit.
California 42.86%
Bordeaux 16.05%
Tuscany 10.76%
Oregon 8.29%
Rhône 7.41%
Burgundy 3.35%
Piedmont 2.47%
Washington 2.12%
Others 1 % or lower
quote:
quote:
48.99% France (Bordeaux edges Rhone by 2 bottles)
28.86% USA (California by a 2-1 ratio over Washington)
5.37% each for Italy and Spain
4.03% Germany
2.01% each for Argentina, Australia and Chile
1.34% New Zealand

Due to recent shipment arrivals, there has been a change in the balance of power. USA is now 45.73%. France is 36.18%. Followed by Spain, Italy, Germany, Chile then Australia. The recent shipments were mixed cases from Stefania and Rasa. We also recently bought a case of Mumm Napa sparklers. I have 10 or so assorted Gigondas and CDP coming in the near future.

France is back on top at 47.7%. More than half of that is southern Rhone. I've been picking up 2010's. Southern Rhone is 26.8% of the cellar. I'm OK with that. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
No big changes in the last year for my cellar

Tuscany 25%
Rhone 19%
Piedmont 12%
US 9%
Bordeaux 7%
Spain 6%
Other Italy 6%
Burgundy 3%
Oz 3%
Germany 3%

That was in 2011. Now

Tuscany 28%
Rhone 17%
Piedmont 12%
USA 12%
Spain 6%
Bordeaux 6%
Other France 6%
Portugal 3%

Other than the US being up a little, no big changes.
By country:

Italy - 82.66%
France - 12.67%
Argentina - 1.97%
Other - 2.7%

By region:

Tuscany - 40.84%
Piedmont - 40.47%
Rhone - 8.49%
Bordeaux - 1.97% (all Sauternes)
Mendoza - 1.85%
Champagne - 1.72%
Other Italy - 0.98%
Other Non-Italy - 3.68%

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here that knows me.

Add Reply

Likes (0)