...a pizza oven was built on our deck and we are now testing recipes. Do any of you have the perfect crust and sauce recipes? The best temp seems to be 500 but we may bring that down a little. This whole pizza obsession is lifting our spirits between the winery and cave clean up from the storm.
Original Post
This is not at all a regular style pizza. It is however really tasty. Maybe VM could chime in here with some type of wine suggestion, if he reads this. I think this type of cuisine is up his ally.

Alsatian Pizza
Recipe by André Soltner, Senior Lecturer, French Culinary Institute, New York City.

ingredients
1/2 pound frozen pizza or bread dough, thawed
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fromage blanc or fresh ricotta
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 pound thickly sliced smoky bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 -inch strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced

directions
Divide the dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece to a 4-inch round; let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each round out to an 8-inch round 1/8 inch thick.
Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Transfer 2 dough rounds to each baking sheet. Fold each edge over onto itself to form a thin lip. Refrigerate the dough rounds until chilled, about 1/2 hour.
In a food processor, pulse the fromage blanc until smooth. Add the flour, crème fraîche and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and process until smooth.
In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and cook just until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
Preheat the oven to 425°. Spread the fromage blanc mixture over the rounds to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle with the bacon and onion. Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for about 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve.
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
I'm not trying to be funny...but are wood fired pizzas a hot item in Cali? It seems like all of the wineries that I have visited have them...Neal has one, Justin has several...

I can speak for my area only but at one point it was an emerging trend, now it has leveled off.
...thanks for the great web site, winebidder and Mav, that looks like a good recipe. Bella, you are right about wineries having pizza ovens. They are great when we have events. Ours is not only for personal use but we are building our new winery right next to our house, so the pizza oven will come in handy for those starving wine tasters.
quote:
Originally posted by cave girl:
...thanks for the great web site, winebidder and Mav, that looks like a good recipe. Bella, you are right about wineries having pizza ovens. They are great when we have events. Ours is not only for personal use but we are building our new winery right next to our house, so the pizza oven will come in handy for those starving wine tasters.
Can't wait for my next trip to Del Dotto...I will definately be a "starving wine taster" with that new pizza oven. Big Grin
quote:
here's a topping I love. Had it at a Naples, Fl restaurant:

sliced pears
sauteed, sliced yellow onions
gorganzola cheese

Put some olive oil on the crust then the toppings. Put in the oven at 500 degrees for 8 minutes or so. Fantastic! Good luck

You guys are killin' me! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
You guys are killin' me!

Maybe you shouldn't have said that. This is too easy.

Grilled Pizza with Grapes and Soppressata
Recipe by Joseph Wrede. Joseph's Table, Taos, NM.

ingredients
2/3 cup lukewarm water
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt
Extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces Gorgonzola dolce, diced
(Northern Italy's classic blue cheese; young gorgonzola, mild, creamy and beloved for it's soft spreadable texture.)
4 ounces soppressata, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
(A salami made from cured-dry pork flavored with red and black peppercorns.)
3/4 cup green grapes, halved
2 tablespoons snipped chives

directions
In a medium bowl, combine the water with the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the flour and let stand until dissolved. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and stir in enough of the flour to form a stiff dough. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Light a grill; lightly brush the grate with oil. Deflate the dough and form it into 4 balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball out to a 7-inch round. Brush lightly with olive oil. Transfer the rounds to the grill and cook over a moderate fire for 2 minutes, or until the bottoms are browned and crisp. Flip the rounds and sprinkle the Gorgonzola and soppressata on top. Grill just until the cheese is melted and the bottoms are golden; move the pizzas as necessary to avoid burning. Transfer the pizzas to plates and top with the grapes and chives. Serve immediately.
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick:
This is not at all a regular style pizza. It is however really tasty. Maybe VM could chime in here with some type of wine suggestion, if he reads this. I think this type of cuisine is up his ally.

Alsatian Pizza
Recipe by André Soltner, Senior Lecturer, French Culinary Institute, New York City.

ingredients
1/2 pound frozen pizza or bread dough, thawed
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fromage blanc or fresh ricotta
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 pound thickly sliced smoky bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 -inch strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced

That's called a tarte flambee in French Wink
One of our favorite group party meals is Pizza.

We make the dough ourselves and then set out the toppings so everyone can build they're own pizza.

This is a thin crust dough

Dough for 4 ten inch pizzas:
1 teaspoon Yeast
2 tablespoons Honey
1/3 cup lukewarm water (Yeast to water)
Let rise for 10/15 minutes.
Add
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2/3 cup Water
2 tablespoons EVOO
3 cups Flour (Last item to be added)
(I use 1/2 the amount white and 1/2 whole wheat: I find the crust is crispier).
If too sticky add flour.

Put ball of dough (lightly oiled on outside) in bowl covered with towel for about 1/2 hour.

Cut into 4.
Keep other 1/4's covered as dough dries quickly.
Kneed out the air pockets (I push in my thumb in the center several times to kneed the dough inwards or roll the ball on the table) and roll it out flat if you want it very crispy or strecht it out for a slightly rised crust.

The toppings can be very creative. We use tomato based sauces (Spicy, regular etc..) But my favorite is fresh pesto sauce.
Classic combinations are:
Boccoccini cheese with fresh basil , bit of pesto sauce, tomatoes, salt/pepper.

Slices of smoked turkey breast, snails, goat cheese, red peppers .

Use anything you feel like having. The whole fun is the building and comparing of the combinations.

I do mine on the BBQ, but I know these doughs work in a pizza oven, the recipies come from my friends restaurant.

Enjoy.
quote:
sliced pears
sauteed, sliced yellow onions
gorganzola cheese

quote:
Slices of smoked turkey breast, snails, goat cheese, red peppers .

This is turning into that Seinfeld episode where Kramer wants to have a restaurant that people can come and make their own pizza.

Poppy: "Whatta yooah pooting on there?"
Kramer: "Cucumbers"
Poppy: "No No No, yooah cannot poota cucumbers ona Pizza"
Kramer: "But I like Cucumbers"
Poppy: "We cannota let people poot anything theya want ona Pizza. No!"

Poppy wuzza right.
quote:
Originally posted by cave girl:
The best temp seems to be 500 but we may bring that down a little.

In Naples (Italy that is), their pizza ovens get over 700 degrees. So you need a thin crust to match, or you'll cook it too long. However if you're under 500, then I guess you can do whatever you want.

I'm still contemplating putting in a clay oven on the patio. I love Indian food.
quote:
Originally posted by louzarius:
I'm still contemplating putting in a clay oven on the patio. I love Indian food.

mmm.. tandoori chicken pizza... drool

I have no dough or sauce recipes, but here's a seemingly conventional pizza (no pears), but I like it a lot:

TB's Grilled Chicken Club Pizza
===============================
marinade the following in olive oil, garlic, thyme and black pepper, then grill:
1 chicken breast, whole
1 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices (lengthwise)
cut into smaller pieces following grilling

Load the following on your dough w/ sauce:
mozarella cheese
old cheddar cheese
grilled chicken, onion and zucchini
diced fried bacon or pancetta
diced red pepper
top w/grated parm

It's a party in my mouth. I hope you agree.
OK then ArieS, this one's for you.

Pizza Rustica

dough-
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
filling-
1/2 pound ricotta cheese
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
5 ounces spicy salami, cut into 1/3-inch dice
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg white, beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for glazing

MAKE THE DOUGH: Pour the flour onto a work surface and make a well in the center. Add the sugar, eggs, egg yolks and oil to the well and blend together with a fork. Gradually incorporate the flour into the well until a dough forms. Gently knead the dough until smooth, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
Roll out two-thirds of the dough between 2 sheets of parchment or wax paper to a 14-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the pastry to a 9-inch springform pan; it should reach about two-thirds of the way up the side of the pan. Roll out the remaining third of the dough between 2 sheets of parchment to a 9-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate the dough until chilled.
MAKE THE FILLING: Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, salami and egg yolks. Stir in the basil and salt. Spread the filling evenly in the pastry-lined pan. Brush the rim of the dough with some of the egg glaze and set the dough round on top; press the edge down firmly to seal and brush the top evenly with more egg glaze.
Set the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
Remove the side of the pan and let the pizza cool completely. Using a metal spatula, carefully transfer the pizza to a plate. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
Silvia Apilinario posted:

Two days ago, i tried Ai Frutti Di Mare Pizza.
I really enjoyed this recipe. To make this recipe, i used ilFornino Wood fired pizza oven.
I personally recommend this recipe to you.

I think you would enjoy spam on your pizza. In a wood fire oven of course.

Add Reply

Likes (0)