The recent pizza/wine cover story in the print edition raises this question:
The article says that Americans spend $32 Billion in pizza purchases at restaurants of all types annually. We have just over 300 million Americans. It works out to about $106 per person, per year, on pizza.

Do you spend more or less than $106 per person in your household annually on pizza at restaurants?
And, what do you spend on anchovies?
Original Post
We probably order pizza once a month at $20 a pie. It's been years since any of those orders went to national chains. I liked the story, but found it a bit strange that it was the feature article.
I have three elementary school age kids. According to your stats, the average family of 5 would spend $530/yr. We would spend that easily as we have it a couple of times a month and then I just bought a bunch for my son's birthday party. We're probably a little over the average. My guess is college students and young families are the biggest buyers.
There is a Neapolitan pizza place we really like and eat there maybe once every other month. That pushes us over $109. Occasionally we will have pizza from another local place delivered, maybe once a month.

I buy fresh white anchovy or marinated Italian or Spanish anchovy several times a year. I probably spend about $30/year on anchovy not counting the times I order Caesar salad at restaurants.
0 on anchovies
but easily more then 100$ / year for pizza.

picked up lunch for a few friends and that was already 10 pies at 20$ each.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
0 on anchovies
but easily more then 100$ / year for pizza.



Pretty much same here...although since I do buy Casear dressing..I guess there's a few cents of anchovies there..LOL

With kids...hard to avoid pizza..although I personally try to avoid pizza with tomato based sauce as much as I can to avoid the after effects of heartburn.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Well, yet again it seems many have an issue of WS that has yet to find my mailbox. Frown


Wow, it feels like that I got that issue weeks ago.
wine+art: Maybe you can get one on ebay.

It is actually a pretty good issue. Excellent article on Israeli wineries and associated information; the Pizza/wine story is good. Good restaurant reviews for two places in San Francisco.
I bet we spend that much every year on pizza. And even more on anchovies, I love those little guys. The strangest part of the article was the list of over 100 wines to have with pizza. Exactly one Italian bottle on the list. Confused
I would say that we hit that $$. I order delivery (not a national chain) about once every two weeks, and it is $15-$25 depending on the order.

Then there are the pizza parlor trips after t-ball practice, and the birthday party, etc...

So, thinking about it, I bet we are a bit above the average. It is just too bad that my favorite pizza place is 25 minutes from home, and they don't deliver.... Frown
Last edited by domnvinsdad
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
It is just too bad that my favorite pizza place is 25 minutes from home.... Frown

I'd love to have my favorite pizza place ONLY 25 minutes away! Frown

We order pizza about once every three months and they usually run upwards of $25 per pie even for the crap. I've found one place that made their dough from scratch and has a wood fired oven but it's still not on par with what I'm used to.
quote:
Originally posted by benchland:
I'd love to have my favorite pizza place ONLY 25 minutes away! Frown


A guess a few hundred miles is a little too far for delivery.... Wink

But next time you are in the Bay Area you could do like Bella does with In'n'Out..... Roll Eyes Eek Big Grin
$106-$150. Probably more if Fillipi's Pizza Grotto was closer. The one in my neck of the woods is long closed, the other is downtown, 30 minutes away. I like Italian wine, but the ideal pairing for me is a Coca-Cola Classic.
Our household easily spends more than that. With the busy schedules of everyone and the activities of the kids it’s too easy to stop in to one of the local shops for dinner or to pick up the phone for delivery. I would say that we have pizza on average about 2 to 3 times per month.

I buy anchovies to make spaghetti puttanesca.
$106 per person per year sounds about right, maybe a little more. I love pizza. I lived in Italy 1st through half of 4th grade and that is what I ordered every time we went out to eat, which was often. Authentic Italian pizza is the best!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Altaholic:
Our household easily spends more than that. With the busy schedules of everyone and the activities of the kids it’s too easy to stop in to one of the local shops for dinner or to pick up the phone for delivery. I would say that we have pizza on average about 2 to 3 times per month.

Yup, I concur. With two teenagers in the house, I have to throw pizzas at them to save the wear and tear on the fridge door.
The only "chain" we buy from is Pappa Murphy's, so we can add our own ingredients if we want to and bake it ourselves.
Frozen, only California Pizza Kitchen. Not bad for what it is.
I actually prefer to buy pre-made dough from Trader Joes and do the rest myself with fresh ingredients. TJ's dough has just the right elasticity that can be difficult to achieve at home. So yeah, depending on my peckish, it can be a little pricier than normal.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Well, yet again it seems many have an issue of WS that has yet to find my mailbox. Frown


We must be on the same delivery schedule, w+a......

As far as pizza budget, I probably spend a few hundred bucks annually between my own za needs and those of my houseguests. I think I might have spent $100+ in ingredients trying to figure out how to make a good pie in my own home, actually..... Still working on that program.

PH
i can go to italy a few times a year with the mileage earned from pizza purchases. difara's, lucali's, totonno's, franny's, lazarra's, artichoke, anthony's, lombardi's, grimaldi's, l&b...
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Well, yet again it seems many have an issue of WS that has yet to find my mailbox. Frown


We must be on the same delivery schedule, w+a......
Unbelievable, as I received the next issue yesterday.
I saw this issue on the Newstand, in Montreal, a week ago!

Pass Roll Eyes

Like VT2IT, I couldn't believe the lackluster representation of Italian for 'pizza wines'.
Lost credibility on the spot. <empty suit razz>
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
I saw this issue on the Newstand, in Montreal, a week ago!

Pass Roll Eyes

Like VT2IT, I couldn't believe the lackluster representation of Italian for 'pizza wines'.
Lost credibility on the spot. <empty suit razz>


If discussing traditional pizza with a tomato based sauce...maybe they don't want to pair acid with more acid! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Chilepepper:
If discussing traditional pizza with a tomato based sauce...maybe they don't want to pair acid with more acid! Big Grin

Possibe, but unlikely.

More realistic, I thought, was their decision to target a larger reader base by appealing to a more 'pedestrian' palate. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:

The strangest part of the article was the list of over 100 wines to have with pizza. Exactly one Italian bottle on the list. Confused


But look who put the list together. Roll Eyes

I agree, ridiculous.
I always have beer with pizza... and sushi. If I do have a rare wine with pizza, it tends to be a simple zin. Though a primitivo, Nero d'Avola, or Montepulciano d'Abruzzo should go well.
Just checked the Wine Spectator Food & Wine Matching page online and they don't list pizza. Interesting.
Pizza is one of my favorite things to make at home. There are just so many variations; it never gets old for me. I used to make dough at home, but now I mostly buy freshly made dough from a local pizza place or like someone mentioned earlier, the dough at trader joes is actually pretty good for $1.

The wife and I are in LA a lot (work, laker-dodger games) and we often make time to swing by pizzeria mozza. I know it’s a trendy spot, but their pizza is absolutely phenomenal.

Favorite wine with a tomato based pizza is Barbera hands down. So simple, but so good!
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
The wife and I are in LA a lot (work, laker-dodger games)


Too bad you couldn't be in LA for a good reason. Or are there any good reasons to be in LA?!?!?!?!?!? Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
The wife and I are in LA a lot (work, laker-dodger games)


Too bad you couldn't be in LA for a good reason. Or are there any good reasons to be in LA?!?!?!?!?!? Razz
Hey, the 3rd through the 7th inning of dodger games are really exciting Wink
Some of my happiest memories as a kid was making pizza with my Italian great grandmother and grandmother at dinner time. It is so easy (you can even buy your dough,) and brings friends and family together for the event.

Last night I did a chicken-basil pesto, an artichoke, red onion and tapenade, pep/mushroom, and margherita pizza---all on the grill (usually I do it by oven).

So, to answer the question, I spend nothing on pizza places. I just buy the ingredients.

PS Having an herb garden helps immensely.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoman7:
Interesting..... still waiting on my issue also. I tend to make my own pizza more than order out though.


Wow! Are you sure you haven't overlooked it. My July 30 issue (Tribute to Robert Mondavi) arrived the 20th.

As far as pizza spending, when we were a family with school age kids and two working parents, we went way over the average. Now that the kids have grown, my wife has taken a lining to Serious Pie and Via Tribunali, so we are still way over.

Zero $ to the anchovies.
Nope, never came. I usually get mine as soon as it comes out. I contacted WS and they were great about it. I just received a copy in the mail Saturday after I emailed them. Still waiting on my July 30 issue though.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
i can go to italy a few times a year with the mileage earned from pizza purchases. difara's, lucali's, totonno's, franny's, lazarra's, artichoke, anthony's, lombardi's, grimaldi's, l&b...


My girfriend recently promised to take me on a pizza tour of her native brooklyn. Having no real authentic pizzaria's anywhere near me, I pretty much can't wait to go.
you pretty much will have one helluva good time, my friend. if you wanna post it, we'll join ya. difara's you can bring your own wine, not that it's the kind of place where ya really wanna. lucali's too.

quote:
Originally posted by Hank Champagne:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
i can go to italy a few times a year with the mileage earned from pizza purchases. difara's, lucali's, totonno's, franny's, lazarra's, artichoke, anthony's, lombardi's, grimaldi's, l&b...


My girfriend recently promised to take me on a pizza tour of her native brooklyn. Having no real authentic pizzaria's anywhere near me, I pretty much can't wait to go.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×