Help please. I’ve had a Burgundy that I truly enjoyed and in fact I’m holding on to a couple of bottles. The wine is a Louis Latour Marsannay Pinot Noir 2005. I understand that a Burgundy wine is 100% Pinot Noir. From I recall it had a cranberry aroma, tasty fruit but not too powerful and pleasant acidity. Is there a California Pinot Noir that anybody can suggest made from 100% Pinot Noir grapes? If not, am I getting stuck on the wrong taste evaluation in terms of associating the pleasant taste of this wine with the fact that it is made from 100% Pinot Noir.
Original Post
Pinot Noir is rarely used in blends, so you can be pretty safe in assuming that most wines labeled pinot noir are 100% pinot noir. Some would argue that pinot noir from Oregon would resemble wines from Burgundy. I suggest that you try pinot from Cali, Oregon, Burgundy and New Zealand and decide what you enjoy. I like them all!
I am still on a ongoing Oregon Pinot Noir phase of my wine life. Within Oregon PN's you will find a wide range of various style's and wines. You will find huge in your face type wines and more subdued PN's with interesting tastes. I have at least 10 cases now of Oregon PN's, maybe 20-30 different vineyards and I am still researching and tasting. I will probably end up with 30-40 cases when I have completed my acquisition program and aging strategy. This is a fun hobby!!!!!
If you like Burgundy, try Oregon Pinot Noir, as indicated above. Also, there are some good CA made Pinot Noir, so explore. Russian River Valley tends to be big, fruity, and spicey, overly so, for my tastes. However, if you're just getting into Pinot, try them all and see what you like. Most of the 2006 CA pinot I have tasted this past year have been good. The few OR Pinots I have tasted were a little tight and tannic in nide of cellar time, but if you have been drinking 2005 Burgundies, your used to tight tannic wines.
quote:
Originally posted by Roentgen Ray:
If you like Burgundy, try Oregon Pinot Noir, as indicated above. Also, there are some good CA made Pinot Noir, so explore. Russian River Valley tends to be big, fruity, and spicey, overly so, for my tastes. However, if you're just getting into Pinot, try them all and see what you like. Most of the 2006 CA pinot I have tasted this past year have been good. The few OR Pinots I have tasted were a little tight and tannic in nide of cellar time, but if you have been drinking 2005 Burgundies, your used to tight tannic wines.

RR,

Late to see this; but OR PN is next. Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
I would try wines from reliable producers from Willamette Valley in oregon. They can be bought for $30 to $60 which is a fraction of what you will pay for good red burgundy. Ask at your wine shop what producers they carry from Willamette for pinot noir.

Thanks.
These are some quick generalizations that might be useful.

'05 Oregon Pinots are more structured than other recent years and deserve bottle time. Plenty are still available.

The '06s that are coming out are riper and more accessible. The better ones will age gracefully, but most of the inexpensive ones are ready now.

The Latour Marsannay really needs more time. It's available at K&L for only $16. Give it a few years and it will be a better everyday wine than comparably priced Oregon PNs.

Add Reply

Likes (0)