Pete Wells review of Guy Fieri in NY Times

NY Times review

I'm sure some of you have read this. Thoughts?

Are people who read the NY Times restaurant review really interested in Guy Fieri's 500 seat restaurant in Times Square? Really? I'm not sure what Pete Wells was expecting but if I was visiting NYC and walked by this place, I would not have expected much more.
Original Post
do you know the demographics of people who read the times? I can tell you a majority of them don't eat a Daniels, Jean Georges, Masa or Per se but these restaurants are reviewed anyway.

I felt the opinions were well covered and probably the same ones I'd given to espn zone when that was open. Except espn zone wasn't a celebrity chef that talks about actually having good food. I like triple d, and I would find it amusing that Guy doesn't even bother to try to make something better than average even if it's in time sq.

Though journalistically, I'd say that I didn't realize that the Ny times hired a 14 yr old girl posting on yelp.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
I like triple d


I wanna hate it, but I like it too. He reviews the type of places I like to visit when I'm having a "f___ it" culinary moment. If I'm headed to NYC to dine, this isn't the type of restaurant that would even be on my radar, so I don't really care if it's good or not.

PH
g-man, I actually don't know the demographics - my bad. My point was solely that I really wouldn't expect much more from a restaurant of this size and with all the options and talent in NYC - who really cares about nachos, blue drinks and donkey sauce?
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
g-man, I actually don't know the demographics - my bad. My point was solely that I really wouldn't expect much more from a restaurant of this size and with all the options and talent in NYC - who really cares about nachos, blue drinks and donkey sauce?


see PH's comment

because that's exactly why i would walk in. I cross that area for work sometimes and I'd just like to grab a beer, some nachos and donkey sauce. The irish pub gets old and I want something different after work.

if a place can't even get nachos right, then it's not even about low expectations.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Writer had an agenda and took aim and fired


I found the writing to be weak. The frequency of snarky questions really got under my skin. Just write the review. Don't ask questions you already have the answers to. Was this actually published in the NYT, or is this another blog?

PH
I've eaten many times at his Johnny Garlic's in Windsor (kid's favorite restaurant) and have enjoyed it every time. Food ranges from "glorified pub fare" to nicer entrees - I love the garlic clove rosemary chicken. Possible food prep not good at all in NY place but would be more interested in what Yelp reviews are like than the Times review.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Writer had an agenda and took aim and fired


I found the writing to be weak. The frequency of snarky questions really got under my skin. Just write the review. Don't ask questions you already have the answers to. Was this actually published in the NYT, or is this another blog?

PH


heh quality of NYT has certainly gone down.

maybe they're trying to lure the yelp crowd in ;-)
i find Times Square to be a mega tourist trap and would have very low expectations for the food served at any of the restaurants there. I think Glorified Pub Food is a great description and would set expectations accordingly.

Did you see the follow up story that the NYT hosted a 200 person party at this very restaruant the night before or day of the review publishing iirc? seems quite ironic.
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
i find Times Square to be a mega tourist trap and would have very low expectations for the food served at any of the restaurants there. I think Glorified Pub Food is a great description and would set expectations accordingly.



never went to blue fin?

how about hagi right around the corner.

carmines is still a favorite of mine
as is tony's

i'm not sure why you think the restaurants in times sq can't put out good food and volume?
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
i find Times Square to be a mega tourist trap and would have very low expectations for the food served at any of the restaurants there. I think Glorified Pub Food is a great description and would set expectations accordingly.



never went to blue fin?

how about hagi right around the corner.

carmines is still a favorite of mine
as is tony's

i'm not sure why you think the restaurants in times sq can't put out good food and volume?


you're obviously not a tourist in NYC....
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
i find Times Square to be a mega tourist trap and would have very low expectations for the food served at any of the restaurants there. I think Glorified Pub Food is a great description and would set expectations accordingly.



never went to blue fin?

how about hagi right around the corner.

carmines is still a favorite of mine
as is tony's

i'm not sure why you think the restaurants in times sq can't put out good food and volume?


you're obviously not a tourist in NYC....


depends on how cute the person asking me is ;-)

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×