People who bother me...

quote:
I'm not sure how handicap parking stickers or passes are given out to people, but I certainly hope that it requires an honest-to-goodness doctor to make that decision.

Rothko, We have to get the doctors sign-off every 5 years. With the sign off we can renew. I know as I have one.
quote:
I'm not sure how handicap parking stickers or passes are given out to people, but I certainly hope that it requires an honest-to-goodness doctor to make that decision.

its like anything else, if you can pay and you don't take up too much time per appointment, the word gets out who will liberaly perscribe handicap stickers, vicadin, oxy, etc....
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I really love the people who are buying one or two items in the "self-check" line at the supermarket, so you get in their line because you KNOW it's going to be a short wait. Then they can't figure out how to check out. So then the helpful person behind them says, "Press the 'finish and pay' button and follow the instructions on the screen."

Then they hit pay with cash and get out their changepurse. And start feeding pennies into the coin slot.

I had this guy a few days ago. His bill was $6.92 and he counted change for at least two minutes. Then he fed the machine singles. Sloooooooowly. Bang Mad Bang

PH

Along the same vein, what is it with a lot of people who write checks at the supermarket? I don't have a problem if someone wants to write a check but WTF? With the exception of the total dollar amount, you can't fill out everything else ahead of time? Couldn't believe it when the woman in front of me waited until the total was tallied, THEN dug into her purse to find her checkbook, and THEN took her time writing out the check. Bang
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
quote:
I really love the people who are buying one or two items in the "self-check" line at the supermarket, so you get in their line because you KNOW it's going to be a short wait. Then they can't figure out how to check out. So then the helpful person behind them says, "Press the 'finish and pay' button and follow the instructions on the screen."

Then they hit pay with cash and get out their changepurse. And start feeding pennies into the coin slot.

I had this guy a few days ago. His bill was $6.92 and he counted change for at least two minutes. Then he fed the machine singles. Sloooooooowly. Bang Mad Bang

PH

Along the same vein, what is it with a lot of people who write checks at the supermarket? I don't have a problem if someone wants to write a check but WTF? With the exception of the total dollar amount, you can't fill out everything else ahead of time? Couldn't believe it when the woman in front of me waited until the total was tallied, THEN dug into her purse to find her checkbook, and THEN took her time writing out the check. Bang

I can't begin to guess how many times that has happened to me. But you forgot to mention that they then have to argue about the price of some items with the cashier.
"Manager to checkstand 2? Manager to checkstand 2!"
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
Weird. They wouldn't accept them here. They're becoming obsolete. Don't you have debit cards? Or is cash/credit the usual...

People in the US still use checks (or cheques up here). You still sign when you use your credit card too.

The last time I used a check was about 4 years ago I think. I had to go to the bank and have them give me a couple.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
The young woman in front of me at the express check-out line tonight; not only did she have well in excess of 20 items, she split them into two purchases.

And, to top it off, she parked her vehicle in the handicapped parking stall that was closest to the store.

I hope you set her straight! I've said some nasty things to non-handicapped people who park in handicapped spaces.

Folks,really. AS some of you are medically trained ond other s should have some knowledge. Not ALL handicaps are so noticiable that a lay person can judge that a person really needs the space. Many reasons - recent heart attacks etc is not visible, and perosn looks 'normal'.

That sais two things - 1] have some compassion yet 2] yes many folks do park in the most hany spot and are NOT allowed to. Check for the blue tag [yes and sometimes people use thier parants sticker to park illegally.

BTW they pi$$ me off too.

There was no visible evidence of a handicap sticker or sign.

I realize that it is intellectually convenient to jump to conclusions and, quite frankly, unhealthy. However, I believe that this particular person might have been lazy, inconsiderate, or both.

I offer a different perspective. Being in the development, architecture and construction business I see how much money and real estate is donated to creating "accessibility" that is rarely used for the intended purpose. The costs would shock most of you. Around where I live most handicapped stalls are empty most of the time, which means there are that many fewer stalls the rest of us are fighting over. I have never once seen a person in a wheel chair use the assistive facilities in a public restroom. Of course I know it means a lot to a few people on occasion. I've just never seen it.

So when I see someone park illegally in a handicapped stall I applaud it because they were willing to risk the ticket so that I could have a legal space. THANK YOU!

OK, so I guess I add to my list of people who bother me militant advocates of the handicapped who go around suing small businesses.
quote:
Originally posted by Deryl1:
So when I see someone park illegally in a handicapped stall I applaud it because they were willing to risk the ticket so that I could have a legal space. THANK YOU!

Very stupid post, Deryl. There are people who need those parking spaces. I applaud your stupidity and insensitivity to the needs of those disadvantaged.
quote:
quote:

Very stupid post, Deryl. There are people who need those parking spaces. I applaud your stupidity and insensitivity to the needs of those disadvantaged.

+10 As one who just had some serious abdominal surgery, I need to use (temporarily) a handicapped space. I might not look handicapped, but I can only walk short distances (and cannot lift anything over 10lb) for a few months. So, people like Deryl, and those he applauds, piss me off.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
quote:

+10 As one who just had some serious abdominal surgery, I need to use (temporarily) a handicapped space. I might not look handicapped, but I can only walk short distances (and cannot lift anything over 10lb) for a few months. So, people like Deryl, and those he applauds, piss me off.

A very STRONG response. Deryl you are a real jerk. Sorry for calling you a jerk, but you deserve it. I am handicapped, with an artifical hip. I cannot walk far nor fast. I need that space. Some days I am fine, and others I have the pain, and have a hard time even getting out of a car.

You would also be the one that says I don't need the space on my good days when I do walk well.

People like you are the ipitome [sp] of "People that bother me'... I do hope that you never have a medical issue.

Note to my brethern here: Sorry for the rant.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Feeling the love yet Deryl? Big Grin

His other comments re rest rooms are off the wall too. Ramps are required for wheel chairs, even if only used once or so a day. I have had to push wheelchairs as a medic for my patients. Yes they are needed. As for the stalls, try to get a wheelchair turned and set in a 30" wide space.

In the State of Florida licensed contractors MUST pass an ADA class to get their GC license. They also need to understand the code for such.

Deryl needs to operate as a handicapped person for a day or so, and then he would realize the why these facilities are required. Maybe we can get him a 'Texas traveler' in case he gets stuck. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Maybe we can get him a 'Texas traveler' in case he gets stuck. Big Grin

What's a 'Texas Traveler'? Confused

External cathater, with tube down leg to a holding bag. Get the picture? Big Grin
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
I'm guessing that many of not most instances of lip synching are due to the event and organizers rather than the performer.

much like the reason to dope is due to the event and the rest of the field rather than the performer.

Should have lip synced the whole event. That would include the speaches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1kq6CA_38
Sorry guys. In no way did I say or infer that accessibility isn't needed or deserved. Only that we are putting in excess capacity from my perspective. That is going to vary between locales depending on local demographics.
I install the facilities and make sure they comply, and I never park in a handicapped stall.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
Have to admit, there seems to be more handicapped spots than necessary around town....maybe handicapped people are just cheap and don't shop much. Razz

State and Fed law dictate the percentage of places required. However there are inadequate parts in it. Our local medical facility that caters to old people has a parking lot for 173 cars yet only 3 places assigned. Real crazy. For those that have a need, there aren’t any.
Our Golf club has valet parking area and has 5 places assigned, and 3 for the close in parking by the valets. The exercise area only has three for 125.
I always throw them out as soon as they show up at the front door.

But then my wife scolds me... Apparently she is one of the few remaining people who use them.

So, if they make it into the house, then they can stay. But if I get my hands on them before then, they are goners.
quote:
People who keep dropping off PHONEBOOKS at my house!! Mad Just yesterday there was a gigantic one in my mailbox!!! I just have to cut the shrink wrap off them to put them in the recycling bin.

Does anyone use the phone book these days??? Confused

PH

big +1
quote:
People who keep dropping off PHONEBOOKS at my house!! Mad Just yesterday there was a gigantic one in my mailbox!!! I just have to cut the shrink wrap off them to put them in the recycling bin.

PH

when the wife is 5'1" it comes in handy ;-)
quote:

PH

Phone books, LOL We have not had a land line in years, much less looking up a phone number.

I have not taken any newspapers ( local, WSJ) in years ( online only) yet the freaking DMN still throws some part of their paper in my yard four times a week. Mad We go to the mailbox once a week, pick up the mail, papers then straight to recycle bin.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

PH

Phone books, LOL We have not had a land line in years, much less looking up a phone number.

I have not taken any newspapers ( local, WSJ) in years ( online only) yet the freaking DMN still throws some part of their paper in my yard four times a week. Mad We go to the mailbox once a week, pick up the mail, papers then straight to recycle bin.

Still get two papers a day, like the feel of the newspaper, and also the 'ceremony' if you will of sitting down with the paper when the kids are in bed. We do recycle them.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I like getting the local papers.

The Sunday paper sure is a disappointment these days. I used to be able to sit down and spend a couple of hours going through the Sunday edition. Now, it usually takes about 20 minutes.

Mondays is a 5 minute read. What nothing happens in a county of 1 MILLION over a weekend, and no real news of the nation or world/ The post S&#%s.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I like getting the local papers.

The Sunday paper sure is a disappointment these days. I used to be able to sit down and spend a couple of hours going through the Sunday edition. Now, it usually takes about 20 minutes.

What gets me now is reading the local paper, finding it's mostly recycled stories from other sources, and having to endure all the spelling and grammatical errors. My high school paper had higher standards than this. Ack

Add Reply

Likes (0)