People who bother me wine wise

You goto a local wine shop that's supposedly known for their champagne growers selection and you ask the sales rep for some champers help.

First the snarky "Oh, I buy all of the champagne for the store"

great.

"Can you get me a creamy champagne that's slightly on the sweeter side perhaps a bit more chard based as I find the pinots slightly sour"

first response is

"oh they all have been fermented dry so there will be no sugar"

..

So I follow up with "Something that's not as tart, sour but has a perceived richness and sweetness"

..

"well you can try the blanc de noirs"

Not knowing the names i figured why not even though they're pinot based. To which I get two recommendations and I pick up both.

Lo and behold, I open them up this xmas morning after a traditional hollandaise and poached eggs with lump crab breakfast, and these suckers are fizzy, sour and definitely does't hint at sweetness at all.

feels like everyone's calling themselves an expert nowadays.
Original Post
The people in charge of restaurant wine lists who won't state the vintages, especially the ones who make lots of spelling mistakes, and put wines in the wrong section, like putting Domaine Bois de Boursin in the "Pinot Noir" section.
Sometimes, it can work to my advantage, as there is a local restaurant that still has a nice high QPR 2006 Bierzo on the list. I figure it hasn't sold out, because it's not in the Spanish section, but in the "red blends" section.
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
The people in charge of restaurant wine lists who won't state the vintages......


That's enough. Especially when you ask the server what vintage the wine is and they go to ask the ass-hat manager who put the lazy list together in the first place, and then she/he has to get off their ass to go to the overheated wine storage area to look, and then the server comes back to let you know that they don't have that wine in any vintage.

I'll have a beer please....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
My brother-in law... Knowing I have a cellar of over 1000 wines, he insists on buying me a bottle of Mondavi Woodbridge Merlot...in Magnum! Bang Ack


LOL A couple years ago, my sister-in-law presented me with a 1 ltr. bottle of Glühwein.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
The people in charge of restaurant wine lists who won't state the vintages......


That's enough. Especially when you ask the server what vintage the wine is and they go to ask the ass-hat manager who put the lazy list together in the first place, and then she/he has to get off their ass to go to the overheated wine storage area to look, and then the server comes back to let you know that they don't have that wine in any vintage.

I'll have a beer please....

PH


Sounds like most Somms I know.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Teeth:
My brother-in law... Knowing I have a cellar of over 1000 wines, he insists on buying me a bottle of Mondavi Woodbridge Merlot...in Magnum! Bang Ack


LOL A couple years ago, my sister-in-law presented me with a 1 ltr. bottle of Glühwein.


My brother brought me a bottle of Mead. Crazy Well, it didn't really bother me, but it was odd.
Family members, who know I'm very much into wine, and who bring me a bottle the latest vintage of their local strawberry wine. If it were a gag gift, I would laugh right along. But no, they are serious. They really liked it when they tasted it at the "winery". Ack
Cocky rich people who try to trump me their wine knowledge and call themselves "connoisseurs" by showing off their cellar and butchering the entire French language in the process.

"Say, y'ever heard of Chatty-Noof-Pops? I just had one of those. How about Mon-ta-gee wines? I had this Chardonnay the other day that was TERRIBLE! It didn't taste at all like oak chips with melted butter on them! It must have been the screwcap that changed the flavor."
Sommeliers or somm want-to-be that choose their words poorly.

I hate it when I'm asked do you need my help with the wine list? Mad

How about, let me know if I can answer any questions.

Also, what is the deal with wine list without vintages? Is the Bordeaux a '90 or a '91? Big Grin
When i ordered a barolo from the wine list and the waitress discovered that they had none...so i asked if they had the barbaresco on the wine list from the same producer...she consulted the owner who proceeded to retrieve a barbera d'asti and started to open it. When i pointed out it was a barbera d'asti and it wasn' even on the owner's list she just said "i know." Confused
The "Fake Wine List" that is often presented at restaurants. The List is often months old and very few of the wines listed are actually in stock. Since most restaurants have computers and printers, you'd think they could print out new wine lists at a minimum of weekly. Many, however, seem to enjoy passing out the fake lists and trying to be impressive with the extensive wine selection.
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
The "Fake Wine List" that is often presented at restaurants. The List is often months old and very few of the wines listed are actually in stock. Since most restaurants have computers and printers, you'd think they could print out new wine lists at a minimum of weekly. Many, however, seem to enjoy passing out the fake lists and trying to be impressive with the extensive wine selection.


or even worse yet, getting rid of the wine list. They have about 10 wines and now just say 'tell me what you like' and i'll bring you something. they are basically just looking for people to order a glass by the grape.

the last time we stopped in with some friends and our kids and asked if they have anything sparkling, our server asked a coworker who said all of our seltzer waters and soda are over in the deli cooler Bang

Eventually they figured out that they had a bottle of something for $14. My wife ordered it, I had no intention of touching it, but when it showed up it was something that retails for $25. I was so exasperated I didn't ask any more questions and ordered a glass of pinot grigio.
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"


I do always ask if they have any off-menu selections. Often these are wines they only get 6 or 12 bottles of a year and not worth them adding to their list.

I have found some true gems from asking this question. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"


A local high end Italian resturant [PBG]had two lists. One was for the 'good' stuff. He would decide whether he would provide the list to you. Bias!!! I then boycotted him, never ordered a bottle from him. Now he is gone an opened a smaller place in NPB. Still the same sh*$ with the list. [PS you locals might figure out who he is, place starts with "S".
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"


A local high end Italian resturant [PBG]had two lists. One was for the 'good' stuff. He would decide whether he would provide the list to you. Bias!!! I then boycotted him, never ordered a bottle from him. Now he is gone an opened a smaller place in NPB. Still the same sh*$ with the list. [PS you locals might figure out who he is, place starts with "S".


I actually quite appreciate that... You could view it from a negative perspective like "If I don't like you, you don't get the best stuff". But you could also see it from a positive perspective: "I want to offer something special to my most precious clients". I have had some excellent wines in restaurants with an otherwise ordinary wine list. In one particular case I know the owner is a great wine connoisseur, but simply doesn't have the restaurant location to be selling premium wines. He can't stock a lot of expensive bottles, but does want to offer something special to a selected group of clients.
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"


A local high end Italian resturant [PBG]had two lists. One was for the 'good' stuff. He would decide whether he would provide the list to you. Bias!!! I then boycotted him, never ordered a bottle from him. Now he is gone an opened a smaller place in NPB. Still the same sh*$ with the list. [PS you locals might figure out who he is, place starts with "S".


I actually quite appreciate that... You could view it from a negative perspective like "If I don't like you, you don't get the best stuff". But you could also see it from a positive perspective: "I want to offer something special to my most precious clients". I have had some excellent wines in restaurants with an otherwise ordinary wine list. In one particular case I know the owner is a great wine connoisseur, but simply doesn't have the restaurant location to be selling premium wines. He can't stock a lot of expensive bottles, but does want to offer something special to a selected group of clients.


The regular list has a bunch of plonk, and a lot of bottles with a 3+ markup on them. Really soaking the general public.
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"


A local high end Italian resturant [PBG]had two lists. One was for the 'good' stuff. He would decide whether he would provide the list to you. Bias!!! I then boycotted him, never ordered a bottle from him. Now he is gone an opened a smaller place in NPB. Still the same sh*$ with the list. [PS you locals might figure out who he is, place starts with "S".


Trying to figure it out, but not having success...
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"


A local high end Italian resturant [PBG]had two lists. One was for the 'good' stuff. He would decide whether he would provide the list to you. Bias!!! I then boycotted him, never ordered a bottle from him. Now he is gone an opened a smaller place in NPB. Still the same sh*$ with the list. [PS you locals might figure out who he is, place starts with "S".


Trying to figure it out, but not having success...


1201 N. Us highway 1, Crystal Tree
Man, there have been a couple threads here recently about how much "somms" suck and since I am the beverage and wine director at our restaurant I was at first angered, but now I am more saddened but the amount of apparently inadequate somms out there. So many of your complaints seem obvious and understandable, it makes me frustrated that people can't seem to figure this stuff out. Esp. the vintage and spelling. Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally sleep about every one and the same may be said for vintages. I have been looking over menus for a future trip to SF and its amazing how many wine lists are lacking definition, whether it be vintage, region of some other factor that may influence a buyer's decision.

Well, in order to avoid being too long-winded, have faith! There are some who just want to offer and serve the best wines I can to whoever wants to buy them.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by blakeybombs:
Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally lost sleep about every one


Maybe Mom can translate. Banana


Nice catch, Board-O. More lost sleep for blakeybombs.... Devilish

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by blakeybombs:
Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally sleep about every one


Maybe Mom can translate. Banana


Shucks, sorry mom!
quote:
Originally posted by blakeybombs:
Man, there have been a couple threads here recently about how much "somms" suck and since I am the beverage and wine director at our restaurant I was at first angered, but now I am more saddened but the amount of apparently inadequate somms out there. So many of your complaints seem obvious and understandable, it makes me frustrated that people can't seem to figure this stuff out. Esp. the vintage and spelling. Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally sleep about every one and the same may be said for vintages. I have been looking over menus for a future trip to SF and its amazing how many wine lists are lacking definition, whether it be vintage, region of some other factor that may influence a buyer's decision.

Well, in order to avoid being too long-winded, have faith! There are some who just want to offer and serve the best wines I can to whoever wants to buy them.


I think your Mom would shudder if she read this post of yours.
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
I actually quite appreciate that... You could view it from a negative perspective like "If I don't like you, you don't get the best stuff". But you could also see it from a positive perspective: "I want to offer something special to my most precious clients". I have had some excellent wines in restaurants with an otherwise ordinary wine list. In one particular case I know the owner is a great wine connoisseur, but simply doesn't have the restaurant location to be selling premium wines. He can't stock a lot of expensive bottles, but does want to offer something special to a selected group of clients.



does this make sense because there is a shortage of high quality wines available if he sells out of the good stuff that he cant find anything else of suitable quality {hello, this is France, oh im sorry sir, we're all out of wine.} or is it because high quality wine is a loss leader for him and he cant be selling the high quality wine below cost to everyone.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×