I was the lucky recipient of a bottle of Taylor's 1977 vintage port for my birthday in August... I am planning on opening it with my family on Christmas Eve.

The bottle is currently in a wine fridge... any tips on serving temperature? Breathing time? When should I stand the bottle upright (or does it matter)???

I just want to make sure to get the most out of it! Any tips would be appreciated!
Original Post
Nice treat! I would stand it up a full day for sediment to drop and then I would probably decant it fully within an hour of drinking or at least opening it for 30 mins. I had this wine last year and a few 77's the last 5 years and most were vibrant, but it's still 30 years old so you don't want it opened for hours without trying it first. I'm assuming it was a well stored bottle throughout it's life or at least decently stored (Port is very resilient though)

I like VP 10 degrees or so below room temp. 60 degrees or so. Not too cold or warm. Just my opinion. There are other more serious port heads around here.
I pretty much agree with Hunter, but with a few minor exceptions. You're opening it in 6 days, so I'd stand it up now. When it's time to taste the wine, I'd carefully extract the cork, taking care not to jostle the bottle, then very carefully decant. I'd taste it immediately. I like Port at room temperature.

Add Reply

Likes (0)