Official 2011 College Football Thread

It is time to get the party started. This may be 1,000 posts for me, so I wanted it to be on what I comment the most frequently. Bill King, a must show on XM 91 for serious fans, will soon be playing "It's the most wonderful time of the year".

We have some explosive issues going on with the newly revealed Miami situation. I will give a preview of the SEC in a few days.

It's go time!
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pippin:
Is this officially the official thread?

Let's make it the official thread by contributing. Smile

Not that the off-the-field nonsense shows any sign of letting up (gross understatement, for sure), thank God we'll actually be watching games come Sept 3, and LSU vs. Oregon is a great way to start!

Lots of folks writing off the Buckeyes this year, but the defense will be outstanding as usual, and this stable of running backs may be the most talented, diverse, and hungriest we've seen in years. On the other hand, who knows what the situation will be at QB.

I'm curious to see if Oklahoma looks as good on the field as they do on paper. Oregon has appeared to get better and better each year, regardless of personnel changes; do they continue, start to plateau, or do the coaches around the country and in their conference learn how to scheme better against them? How good can FSU be this year? To call them resurgent is an understatement, as they have rocketed back into the national picture. Lots of traditional powerhouses (Texas!, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, etc.) had down seasons last year; who rebounds, and who continues to lag? 'Can't wait to see the answers. Smile
With all the infractions and rumors of infractions its hard to know who is on some sort of probation and who isn't. That being said I like the chances of Alabama, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska this year.

Florida State is getting a lot of run in the press but until they show something on the field I'm not buying. LSU is always dangerous but I think their schedule is too tough. If not for recent allegations of infractions and DUI arrests I would have selected Oregon to be in my top five but I think the distractions will be a problem.

Penn State and Michigan State, like FSU need to prove something to me in big games. Boise and TCU could make things happen too.
As a FSU fan I think the hype they are getting is deserved. However, I am not blind. I know they will go as far as EJ Manuel takes them. He has shown immense talent and playmaking ability. He has also shown youth and wild inconsistency. I dont know which qb shows up this season. I do know that by the end of week 3 I'll know where the season is going.
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
With all the infractions and rumors of infractions its hard to know who is on some sort of probation and who isn't. That being said I like the chances of Alabama, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska this year.

Florida State is getting a lot of run in the press but until they show something on the field I'm not buying. LSU is always dangerous but I think their schedule is too tough. If not for recent allegations of infractions and DUI arrests I would have selected Oregon to be in my top five but I think the distractions will be a problem.

Penn State and Michigan State, like FSU need to prove something to me in big games. Boise and TCU could make things happen too.

Nebraska - Don't believe the hype. Why do you like their chances? I admit the Big 10 is suspect. Smile
Nebraska has too many questions on offense to win the Big Ten IMO. I will be very curious to see how their defense does against the conference, but ultimately their schedule will kill them. I see Wisconsin going 7-1 in conference and Michigan St. being the other team in the conference final.
Fearless SEC forecast

The SEC East is dominant in basketball (five teams in tourney and two to final 8) and baseball (3 of last 4 in CWS), but we are talking football, and the division is down. This seems to be a race between SC and Georgia with the Gators being the mystery team. The Gamecocks now have a legitimate SEC roster of talent, led by elite players Marcus Lattimore, Alshon Jeffrey, Stephon Gilmore and prize frosh Javedeon Clowney. Unfortunately, they still have (for his 10th season) the erractic QB Stephen Garcia. The division is SC's to lose if they play up to expectations. The most likely challenger is Georgia who always has a good roster but is coached by the laid back Mark Richt. The Dawgs have a good QB in Aaron Murray, but are thin at RB and need frosh Isiah Crowell to be an instant star. Georgia has the easiest schedule in the league (missing Bama, LSU and Arkansas), so an early win over SC could get them to Atlanta. The Gators may be a year away, but seem to be responding to new coach Will Muschamp very well. They need QB John Brantley to play well plus adapt to Charlie Weis' pro style offense. I am sure that the coaching will be good, but a brutal schedule and low roster numbers will be too much to overcome. Tennessee, Kentucky and Vandy will not contend.

The West is flat out loaded, and they will have the SEC Champ. Alabama has the program rolling under Nick Saban and will be a serious contender for the BCS Title. The Tide has to work in a new QB, but they still have Trent Richardson toting the ball and a great defense.
LSU has great young talent, but may be a tad overrated. We do know that the grass eating wonder, Coach Les Miles, will have some questionable late game moves. Miles needs to find a way to get Russell Sheppard the ball more. Despite the loss of Ryan Mallet and an injury to RB Nile Davis, Bobby Petrino will have Arkansas ringing up points. The question is can the Hogs get a W against LSU or Bama. If you are looking for a surprise, Mississippi State may be it. Dan Mullen has the Delta Dogs playing far beyond expectations, and their primary opponents are all at home in the confines of cowbell heaven Scott Field. Auburn, despite winning the BCS, lost too much including "six-six two fitty" Cam Newton (who turned an 8 win team into a champ). Auburn has a good roster, but is young and will be a 7 to 8 win team this year. Ole Miss has no shot.

Conventional wisdom says Bama, or maybe LSU, plays SC in Atlanta. If you are looking for a surprise, it may be a Dawg affair with Georgia playing MSU.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
As much as I hate to say it, I think UF comes out of the east. Charlie will work wonders with Cantley, who is a perfect fit for his pro style system, and the Def is still loaded with talent.

I have no doubt Charlie will be able to turn Brantley around, but my concerns with the offense rest with the fact that 1) outside of Deonte Thompson (who has a knack for dropping balls), will any of the other WR's step up, 2) Can Demps and Rainey be effective in a pro-style offense given their small size and 3) will the Offensive line be effective.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Pinot has it nailed, especially the OL concerns. An injury or two there and it could get ugly. UF may have a new WR step up like Quinton Dunbar, but I will beleive it when I see it.

scbeerman,

Let me know if you hit any games. I'll be at them all in G-ville + Georgia.
Hooray! Two weeks to kickoff for Sparty!

I can't give a comprehensive run-down of the Big Ten (I guess it's the B1G now?), but that's partly because I think there's a lot of mystery out there.

Ohio State has been embarrassed over the off season, but the team is still loaded with talent, and will certainly carry an "us against the world" mentality through the season. That will serve them well. Will Penn State be better this year? If so, how much? Will it be enough? Can Hoke turn Michigan around instantly? I doubt it, but who knows? He has some dangerous weapons to work with. I think Michigan State is actually a better team this year than last, but last year was a bit of a dream with a very favorable schedule, so even if they are better, the final record and ranking might not show it. But if they can be 8-1 or better at the end of October, look out! Will Nebraska cruise through the conference? or struggle with unfamiliar opponents? or something in-between? How many upsets can Persa and Northwestern pull off this year? Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota look to be doormats again, but I think Minnesota especially might be able to surprise somebody in a game or two. Is Iowa on the way down? Reloading? Or still capable of big things? Illinois has some good talent this year, but Zook is still coach. Wisconsin will be good, but how good? Will the new QB get the job done, and will their defense miss the presence of JJ Watt?

And Notre Dame is sort of an "honorary" B1G member. Since they always play 3 B1G teams early in the season (Mich, Mich St., and Purdue), the quality of ND's team, and their power ranking, always have significant impact on the Big Ten. I think ND will be pretty good this year, maybe even BCS bowl bid good. This will really help bump the Big Ten's SOS. Will Sparty be able to pull off another squeaker in South Bend?

In summary, there are just too many unknowns. I think it will either be Nebraska or MSU from the Legends division, facing either Wisconsin or Ohio State from the Leaders division for the inaugural B1G championship game. The team that wins might very well be the one that lost the regular season matchup, as all 4 of these teams play each other in the regular season, and it's tough to beat a good team twice. I doubt the Big Ten will send a team to the National Title game, but there's always a chance.

Go Green!
quote:
Fearless SEC forecast
UGA does have the easiest schedule, but they will likely underperform once again after losing the first 2 games of the season and fall behind USCe and UF. And FTR, UGA RB Isiah Crowell is a true freshman.
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
... I think it will either be Nebraska or MSU from the Legends division, facing either Wisconsin or Ohio State from the Leaders division for the inaugural B1G championship game... I doubt the Big Ten will send a team to the National Title game...

'Sounds about right to me. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:

Nebraska - Don't believe the hype. Why do you like their chances? I admit the Big 10 is suspect. Smile

My initial thought about Nebraska stems from the belief that Ohio State is their biggest competition and that the Buckeyes will struggle trying to find a quarterback and still having four of their starters sitting out the first five games.

Overall Nebraska only plays five road games (Wyoming, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, Michigan) of which I think only Wisconsin is a real threat. But...Wisconsin plays Ohio State the following week so the Badgers might just be looking ahead at their visit to Columbus. I think the Nebraska has a good chance to knock off the Badgers in Madison.
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
quote:
If not for recent allegations of infractions and DUI arrests I would have selected Oregon to be in my top five but I think the distractions will be a problem.

Looks like the LSU team that Oregon opens against has a bit of a problem of its own (and a far more serious one at that)

http://bleacherreport.com/arti...harged-with-a-felony

what's happened to the days when a player can stab another person repeatedly outside a bar and claim self defense and get away with it Frown
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:

My initial thought about Nebraska stems from the belief that Ohio State is their biggest competition and that the Buckeyes will struggle trying to find a quarterback and still having four of their starters sitting out the first five games.

Overall Nebraska only plays five road games (Wyoming, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, Michigan) of which I think only Wisconsin is a real threat. But...Wisconsin plays Ohio State the following week so the Badgers might just be looking ahead at their visit to Columbus. I think the Nebraska has a good chance to knock off the Badgers in Madison.

Nebraska opens their Big Ten season on the road at Madison, and opening on the road is very tough in the Big Ten. The home crowd is a big advantage. Wisconsin plays at Michigan St. the week before Ohio St., and I believe that both will be tough games. A lot can happen between now and Oct 1st, but I do think that Wisconsin has the edge over Nebraska in this one.
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:

Nebraska opens their Big Ten season on the road at Madison, and opening on the road is very tough in the Big Ten. The home crowd is a big advantage. Wisconsin plays at Michigan St. the week before Ohio St., and I believe that both will be tough games. A lot can happen between now and Oct 1st, but I do think that Wisconsin has the edge over Nebraska in this one.

Agreeed.

Nobody in the Big Ten will be looking past Nebraska this season.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
Now this is more like it!

I've been thoroughly unimpressed by Brady Hoke so far, but I sure like this. I find it amusing that he refers to the Buckeyes as "Ohio." 'Plenty of smack talk from both sides with plenty of UM'ers defending Brady, but clearly matters of English/grammar have become a struggle for Michigan.

Don't you mean Old Navy? What bothers you about Hoke, other than he lives across the border?
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
finally a Top 25 List where the "figures" don't lie... Eek

Love it! Still, even in this list, Boise State is grossly overrated. Ranked at #5? You gotta be kidding me (not even Top 25, IMO)! Speaking of #5, Michigan State... tell me you can do better than the "heroin addict" representing you at #17.
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Love it! Still, even in this list, Boise State is grossly overrated. Ranked at #5? You gotta be kidding me (not even Top 25, IMO)! Speaking of #5, Michigan State... tell me you can do better than the "heroin addict" representing you at #17.

Big Grin LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing! ...well, that and the fact that Oklahoma State looks like they just don't belong. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
Now this is more like it!

...I sure like this. I find it amusing that he refers to the Buckeyes as "Ohio." ...clearly matters of English/grammar have become a struggle for Michigan.

Don't you mean Old Navy?

C'mon! It's preseason smack-talk. Of course, I'm gonna' blame Michigan. Besides, the Naval Academy's standards are too high to allow such a mistake. Wink Big Grin

quote:
What bothers you about Hoke, other than he lives across the border?

Bothers me? Nothing. I was praising him. In fact, I think he's the perfect coach for that school up north, which he demonstrated when asked about why recruiting had been successful thus far. His answer: "This might sound arrogant. If it is, it is. But we are Michigan." Yep, that sounds like Michigan.
quote:

Good Lord! The Oklahoma and 'Bama girls are simply scorched-Earth hot. The USC Lady of Troy is pretty darn fine too. Too bad Arizona St isn't in the top 25... Sun Devil girls can melt concrete when walking down the street. Need to clear my browser before the girlfriend comes home. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:

Good Lord! The Oklahoma and 'Bama girls are simply scorched-Earth hot. The USC Lady of Troy is pretty darn fine too. Too bad Arizona St isn't in the top 25... Sun Devil girls can melt concrete when walking down the street. Need to clear my browser before the girlfriend comes home. Wink

BOOMER SOONER!
quote:
quote:

Personally I thought the South Carolina girls were rather cute.

First game of the season this Thursday, Wisconsin hosts UNLV in Madison. I will be there on the 35 yard line. Very excited about the season!

Go Badgers!
I know that I am preaching to the choir, but the beauty and charm of college football is that virtually every game matters. There is no other sport where an opening day matchup can determine the ultimate champion. Even if an eight team playoff existed, the early games would still matter.

With that said, the sorting out process begins this week with two games, and maybe a third.

The first is the Willie Lyles/suspension bowl in Dallas pitting Oregon and LSU. Originally, I thought that LSU's overall gifted roster would be enough to win this game, but the loss of starting QB, Jordan Jefferson, and electric playmaker, Russell Shepard, could be too much to overcome. I heard one expert say that when good teams have time to prepare for Oregon's high speed offense the Duck's struggle. This one is too close to call.

The other game pits Boise State invading the Georgia Dome (although only 70 miles from Athens a place difficult for Dawg fans to find) to play Georgia. The Broncos tried this in 07 and got waxed, but this is a much more developed program. Kellen Moore, despite losing two great receivers, could put up some numbers in this game. While Georgia always has great talent, they went 6-7 last season losing to UCF in a bowl game. Coach Mark Richt needs QB Aaron Murray and true frosh RB Isiah Crowell to play well, and maybe save his job. Again, too close to call.

Finally, South Florida goes up to South Bend to face Notre Dame. While the Irish should win the game, USF has enough athletes to make this one interesting. On a personal note, I am curious to see if Myrtle Beach native Everette Golson gets in the game. Golson lit it up for four years in high school as a QB.
quote:
I know that I am preaching to the choir, but the beauty and charm of college football is that virtually every game matters. There is no other sport where an opening day matchup can determine the ultimate champion. Even if an eight team playoff existed, the early games would still matter.

Indeed! Cool

With that said, the sorting out process begins this week with two games, and maybe a third.

The first is the Willie Lyles/suspension bowl in Dallas pitting Oregon and LSU. Originally, I thought that LSU's overall gifted roster would be enough to win this game, but the loss of starting QB, Jordan Jefferson, and electric playmaker, Russell Shepard, could be too much to overcome. I heard one expert say that when good teams have time to prepare for Oregon's high speed offense the Duck's struggle. This one is too close to call.

A home game for LSU. There are a lot of LSU fans in Texas, and LSU always travels well to Dallas.

The other game pits Boise State invading the Georgia Dome (although only 70 miles from Athens a place difficult for Dawg fans to find) to play Georgia. The Broncos tried this in 07 and got waxed, but this is a much more developed program. Kellen Moore, despite losing two great receivers, could put up some numbers in this game. While Georgia always has great talent, they went 6-7 last season losing to UCF in a bowl game. Coach Mark Richt needs QB Aaron Murray and true frosh RB Isiah Crowell to play well, and maybe save his job. Again, too close to call.

Richt can not afford to drop this game.

Finally, South Florida goes up to South Bend to face Notre Dame. While the Irish should win the game, USF has enough athletes to make this one interesting. On a personal note, I am curious to see if Myrtle Beach native Everette Golson gets in the game. Golson lit it up for four years in high school as a QB.
quote:
quote:

FTR, some (many?) of the girls posted have nothing to do with the school whatsoever. The ‘Bammer girl is actually Swedish model Elin Grindemyr and the UAt logo was airbrushed over the original fabric.
quote:

Unless Crist or Rees gets injured I just dont see Kelly wasting a year of his eligibilty. I think he redshirts this year and is the starter next season.

Add Reply

Likes (0)