Odd/Funny Tasting notes

I think there have been other threads before showing strange tasting notes from CT or other forums but I couldn’t find one after a quick search. Like most here, I don’t put much weight into CT notes, but this one caught my eye this morning Smile:

Tasted by XXXX on 11/28/2010: What I would describe as the perfect restaurant Cabernet. Perfectly fine, if not complex. Sweet fruit and round oak. A little chocolate. This was a gift -- my wife and mother-in-law thought it was really good. If retails for $35-40, well, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger. Again, there was nothing wrong with this and I'm perfectly happy to drink it if someone else is buying. For the W and MIL, I think I'll pick up a few bottles of Amancaya at half the price and put the rest towards something a little more up my alley. Hope that doesn't sound too selfish, but I just don't think it matters that much to them. This is the hard part of wine buying/drinking, when the tastes of constant tablemates differ from mine. On the flip side, 20-25% of what I own is German Riesling, mostly Mosel but with some Pfalz as well, mostly Spatlese, but some with less ripeness. Except for the Kabinett Halbtrocken, my wife doesn't care for it. Still working on striking the right balance. (219 views)

haha. a little wordy if you ask me Big Grin
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Tasted by XXXX on 11/28/2010: What I would describe as the perfect restaurant Cabernet. Perfectly fine, if not complex. Sweet fruit and round oak. A little chocolate. This was a gift -- my wife and mother-in-law thought it was really good. If retails for $35-40, well, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger. Again, there was nothing wrong with this and I'm perfectly happy to drink it if someone else is buying. For the W and MIL, I think I'll pick up a few bottles of Amancaya at half the price and put the rest towards something a little more up my alley. Hope that doesn't sound too selfish, but I just don't think it matters that much to them. This is the hard part of wine buying/drinking, when the tastes of constant tablemates differ from mine. On the flip side, 20-25% of what I own is German Riesling, mostly Mosel but with some Pfalz as well, mostly Spatlese, but some with less ripeness. Except for the Kabinett Halbtrocken, my wife doesn't care for it. Still working on striking the right balance. (219 views)

haha. a little wordy if you ask me Big Grin

Fixed Smile
From CT today about the 2004 Ucceliera Brunello di Montalcino:

quote:
Popped & poured. On the nose, this is very lactated at first. As it opens up, you can smell delicious sour cherries. On the palate, you can feel the youth of this wine...it's really rich, poised and complex but still tight. I'm going to hold my other bottles for many years.

Very lactated? Huh?
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:

quote:
Popped & poured. On the nose, this is very lactated at first. As it opens up, you can smell delicious sour cherries. On the palate, you can feel the youth of this wine...it's really rich, poised and complex but still tight. I'm going to hold my other bottles for many years.

Very lactated? Huh?

Should have just said, so young it made my nipples squirt.
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:

quote:

Very lactated? Huh?

Should have just said, so young it made my nipples squirt.

I'd love to meet the woman that made that wine... Wink
Here's one for the 2005 Shafer Relentless:
3/26/2011 & rated 89 points: Still a bit young and harsh up front. Consumed at a local restaurant. I was disappointed in the lack of a midpalate or finish. No real layers to this Syrah (88%) / Petite Syrah (22%) blend. Overpriced at the restaurant.
This wine gave 110% and you trounced it, man!!!!
A couple off CT that I read today:

2001 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia
quote:
Rough night for this bottle. Maybe needed a decant. I thought it smelled fishy but then decided it was roses but it still smelled off to me. Others disagreed. 89 points

Even better (worse?):

2004 La Poderina Brunello di Montalcino
quote:
It was a nice bottle if you decant for two days. I left the unattended half in the freezer and it became wonderful. 92 points

Brunello popsicle, anyone?
Found the following on winephantom.wordpress.com Check it out there's more.

The tasting note says;
“The terroir affords a luxurious, farmyardy tone, with a meaty background punctuated by overripe stewed fruit”
What it actually means;
“There is a pong of overused Wellingtons on a warm, damp day, adding to the distinctive whiff of freshly broken wind…”

Chiv
"After decanting, the wine was quite concentrated and when close my eyes and smelling it's aromas, it feels like I am at the middle of a grassland, facing the wind, smelling fresh glass, fruit, just like I have been return from a battlefield with glory."
This one on the Ramey Syrah 2007 wasn't so much funny as upside-down:

"After reading all the reviews, I was very disappointed. Not much fruit or nose, definitely not like a great California Syrah. Maybe my bottle was off, but this tasted more like the dry French Rhones"
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
At an offline last week, thelostverse was joking about using "unwashed anal gland" of some kind of animal in a tasting note. Since we didn't have any Bordeaux at the table, I don't believe he used the phrase that evening.

I forgot about that. I'll keep that in hand for future use. Not the actual gland, just the phrase. Big Grin
Came up just today in CT:

"PnP. Prolly the stinkiest, most primary OR Pinot I've ever encountered. Imagine you're grooming your horse and you're nearly done, but have to do the tail; you get into position, and the horse lets loose a great steamy pile, right at your feet - that's this wine. With nearly 10 minutes of swirling, some light cherry fruit and loamy earth notes emerge, but my nose is still somewhat traumatized by the initial blast of fresh manure. Medium bodied, dry, grainy and OK, but nothing I would seek out - even at flash site pricing. Drink thru 2016"

This is for a 2007 Torii Mor Pinot Noir La Colina. Sounds....tasty.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Came up just today in CT:

"PnP. Prolly the stinkiest, most primary OR Pinot I've ever encountered. Imagine you're grooming your horse and you're nearly done, but have to do the tail; you get into position, and the horse lets loose a great steamy pile, right at your feet - that's this wine. With nearly 10 minutes of swirling, some light cherry fruit and loamy earth notes emerge, but my nose is still somewhat traumatized by the initial blast of fresh manure. Medium bodied, dry, grainy and OK, but nothing I would seek out - even at flash site pricing. Drink thru 2016"

This is for a 2007 Torii Mor Pinot Noir La Colina. Sounds....tasty.

And the OP probably gave it a 93?

Add Reply

Likes (0)