October 2018 - What are you drinking?

2001 Frescobaldi, BdM, Castelgiocondo

Excellent. Drinking well, but no rush. I'll hold my last bottle for a few more years. Maybe its 20th.

I had left the price sticker on this bottle from when I bought it in 2006. $54. I bought the 2013 last week for $40 after discounts. I can't think of too many wines that sell for less 12 years later.

mimik posted:

2016 St Cosme Gigondas drabbed it. Will be nice in 5+ years.

That's pretty much what I figured, but thanks for taking one for the team and confirming.

Last night

2005 Domaine de Beaurenard, CdP

Never a blockbuster or big CdP, but always solid.  Restrained, beautifully balanced with spice and cherry notes. I'll hold my other bottle for a couple of years...maybe.

steve8 posted:
mimik posted:

That's pretty much what I figured, but thanks for taking one for the team and confirming.

Last night

Never a blockbuster or big CdP, but always solid.  Restrained, beautifully balanced with spice and cherry notes. I'll hold my other bottle for a couple of years...maybe.

It will be really nice in 5+ years, I’d get some if I were you. Still in the system 

Tonight, 2007 Bollinger Grande Annee, delicious, from memory tastes really in every way similar to 2004 and 2005, wonderfully consistent wine from fine producer, with osetra caviar (from Italy, farmed, not the best I've had but still pretty darn good)

With excellent beef tenderloin in veal demi-glace and mushrooms, 2010 Guigal Cote-Rotie Brune et Blonde, great nose of plum juice and bacon fat, loved smelling it but a bit disappointing in the mouth until the last glass; needed a decant that we didn't give it, at first a bit astringent and a bit thin, but over 1.5 hours opened up quite a bit, plum cherry, bacon, black olive, picked up weight and richness, probably needs another 5 years or a couple of hours in decanter

2010 Pascal Bouchard Chablis - Les Clos - Grand Cru - Picked up a few at close out pricing from one of my suppliers.  Man, these are in a good place right now! 

2014 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rouge - Rich, rustic and everything I love about Tempier.  It needs a few more years to come together.

2012 Bodegas Marañones, Vinos de Madrid, Peña Caballera

Unimpressive.

2015 Michel Gassier, Costières de Nîmes, Nostre Pais Red

Better the next day, but not rushing back to buy more.

2015 De Morgenzon, Maestro, White

A blend of roussanne, chardonnay, chenin blanc, grenache blanc and viognier. Delicious and I continue to be impressed with some of the whites coming out of South Africa.

mimik posted:
steve8 posted:
mimik posted:

Last night

It will be really nice in 5+ years, I’d get some if I were you. Still in the system 

I picked up a bottle last week. Just one though as I know the Saint Cosme Gigondas need time.

Tonight with outstanding tapas at Jaleo in Washington, DC, a bottle of 2015 Juvé y Camps Cava Reserva Chardonnay, a nice rich bubbly with melon, peach, corn flavours, creamy. Not as crisp as I prefer my sparkling wines, but this wine stood up really well to the variety of flavours in our food, some of which were a bit spicy.

2010 Castiglion del Bosco Brunello di Montalcino- best BdM I believe I've had to date, though that's not saying a lot. Ripe juicy berries and enough backbone to stand up to pan-seared NY Strips with a green peppercorn truffle sauce. Seems perfectly ready to drink, but no rush, 92

A blast from the past.  Last night I opened a 2005 Garretson Roussanne Pas Robles.  (Bottled under screwcap). Very nice, and still holding well.  Rich, bright Golden color with good body and slightly nutty nuances to the bosc pear fruit core, and a nice lively finish.  Garrettson made some great stuff back in the day.  Too bad they had to give it up.

Add Reply

Likes (0)