October 2018 - What are you drinking?

Last night with some friends:

NV Henri Goutorbe Champagne Cuvée Prestige
2016 Far Niente Chardonnay
2012 Soliste Cellars Pinot Noir L'Ésperance

Our friends brought the Far Niente, which was fine, but the Goutorbe was in a great place last night, and the Soliste paired beautifully with a duck breast served with sherry vinegar glaze. 

Last night with some friends & forumites:

2016 - San Silvestro Roero Arneis - great qpr Arneis

2002 Bollinger Grand Annee - wonderful

1996 Pio Cesare Barolo Ornato - drinking really well - at peak with a long way to go.  Half of the group picked this from the 90s flight

1997 Pio Cesare Barolo Ornato - better than I expected given the vintage.  a bit more mature than the 96 but beautiful.  Half picked this one from the 90s flight

1999 Domenico Clerico Barolo Pajana - Big fruit, big tannin, big oak.  Not my style by itself and seemed like it needs years to sort itself out. But, great when paired with Beet Ravioli in a rich butter based sauce. 

2001 Ceretto Barolo Bricco Rocche - Beautiful red fruit, earthy, elegant - my pick (blind) of the 01 flight.  This is the nicest Ceretto I've had - wonderful.  

2001 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc - Bigger and darker than the Rocche.  Needs time.  Softened and opened up with time in the glass.  Needs time (5 yrs imo)

2001 Paolo Scavino Barolo Rocche dell'Annunziata Riserva - Between the Rocche and Bric del Fiasc in weight and tone to start.  Beautiful on the palate.  Improved with time in the glass.  This has a long way to go. 

2006 Castello di Neive Passito Arneis - Amazing.  In the late harvest zone in terms of sweetness but superbly balanced and complex.  Excellent and has a long way to go. 

2005 Lopez de Heredia "Vina Bosconia" - Beautiful and almost Burgundian.

2014 Domaine Leflaive Bourgogne blanc - Excellent BB 

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon cote du Py - One of my favorites but it needs another year to cool off.

2015 Ridge Petit Syrah - Lytton - A guilty pleasure of mine

2005 Corbon Chamapagne Blanc de Blancs - Outstanding value for vintage grand cru blanc de blancs coming from Avize. 

Last night at dinner with the visiting Seaquams, Vinaigre, KSC02, Mimik and our better halves. The theme was (more or less) wines from 2001

2012 J-P & Benoit Droin, Chablis, Vaudesir GC

2001 Sassetti (Pertimali), Brunello

2001 Paolo Scavino, Barolo, Bric Del Fiasc

2001 CVNE, Rioja, Imperial Gran Reserva

2001 Penfolds, Shiraz, Grange

2001 D'Arenberg, Shiraz, The Dead Arm

2001 Antinori, IGT, Solaia

2001 Domaine de la Janasse, CdP, Vielles Vignes

2011 Domaine du Pegau, CdP, Cuvée Laurence

2005 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey, Sauternes

A terrific evening with great friends and outstanding wines. Excellent meal at Monsieur B, although the place was a little noisy.

Hard to pick a WOTN as all were excellent, except maybe the Janasse, which I found to be too bretty (I was stuck on the band aid smell). The CVNE was just gorgeous. As was the Sassetti, although the nose faded after a while. I agree with Vincentric's comments above on the Bric Del Fiasc, excellent but should improve. Once again I really enjoyed the Dead Arm and there was a consensus opinion that it was actually better than the Grange, not even considering the huge price difference between them. The Solaia is drinking really well and stood out from everything else because the Bordeaux character. The Pegau is outstanding, but way young. The Lafaurie delicious but not their best vintage.

I forgot a couple of wines from Wednesday, the first with the Seaquams to cap off a day in the Eastern Townships and the second to just cap off the day.

2016 Felton Road, Chardonnay, Block 6

2016 Sadie Family, Cinsault, Pofadder

Both outstanding.

steve8 posted:

I forgot a couple of wines from Wednesday, the first with the Seaquams to cap off a day in the Eastern Townships and the second to just cap off the day.

2016 Felton Road, Chardonnay, Block 6

2016 Sadie Family, Cinsault, Pofadder

Both outstanding.

AH, Sadie Family - you introduced us to them many years ago

I was curious about how long ago that was, so with the help of the now almost worthless search feature I found that was February 2009.  Time flies. FKG was still MLV back then.

If you get a chance to try their Old Vine series, of which the Pofadder is part of, you should do so. The Chenin Blancs are especially good.

steve8 posted:

Last night at dinner with the visiting Seaquams, Vinaigre, KSC02, Mimik and our better halves. The theme was (more or less) wines from 2001

A terrific evening with great friends and outstanding wines. Excellent meal at Monsieur B, although the place was a little noisy.

Hard to pick a WOTN as all were excellent, except maybe the Janasse, which I found to be too bretty (I was stuck on the band aid smell). The CVNE was just gorgeous. As was the Sassetti, although the nose faded after a while. I agree with Vincentric's comments above on the Bric Del Fiasc, excellent but should improve. Once again I really enjoyed the Dead Arm and there was a consensus opinion that it was actually better than the Grange, not even considering the huge price difference between them. The Solaia is drinking really well and stood out from everything else because the Bordeaux character. The Pegau is outstanding, but way young. The Lafaurie delicious but not their best vintage.

A night of great company, great wines, great food. In other words, about perfect!

Every wine showed well, though the Grange was, as noted, disappointing for a wine with its reputation, and easily outshone by Dead Arm. I enjoyed all of the others, but found myself going back repeatedly for small pours of the Solaia, which was highly reminiscent of a fine Pauillac with its pencil lead and currant flavour, a very classy wine that went wonderfully with my risotto that had cubes of roasted lamb in it.

It's an indicator of just how much we were enjoying all of these wines that a bottle of 2001 Penfolds Cab Bin 707 never even got around to being opened, and so went back to be enjoyed another day.

Thanks to all for bringing these outstanding wines.

IMG_6123

Attachments

Photos (1)
tlom285 posted:

2005 Lopez de Heredia "Vina Bosconia" - Beautiful and almost Burgundian.

2014 Domaine Leflaive Bourgogne blanc - Excellent BB 

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon cote du Py - One of my favorites but it needs another year to cool off.

2015 Ridge Petit Syrah - Lytton - A guilty pleasure of mine

2005 Corbon Chamapagne Blanc de Blancs - Outstanding value for vintage grand cru blanc de blancs coming from Avize. 

I approve of that lineup!  No slouches there!

seaquam posted:
steve8 posted:

A night of great company, great wines, great food. In other words, about perfect!

Every wine showed well, though the Grange was, as noted, disappointing for a wine with its reputation, and easily outshone by Dead Arm. I enjoyed all of the others, but found myself going back repeatedly for small pours of the Solaia, which was highly reminiscent of a fine Pauillac with its pencil lead and currant flavour, a very classy wine that went wonderfully with my risotto that had cubes of roasted lamb in it.

It's an indicator of just how much we were enjoying all of these wines that a bottle of 2001 Penfolds Cab Bin 707 never even got around to being opened, and so went back to be enjoyed another day.

Thanks to all for bringing these outstanding wines.

IMG_6123

Great night guys and gals and the wines were stellar. Perfect for a cold fall night.

Great seeing  all the Gang and great seeing Seaquam and Mrs Seaquam again. Always a great  pleasure.

2012 Domaine Dujac Bourgogne Blanc - these have been wildly variable, some sublime, some with overwhelming struck match that wouldn't dissipate. This bottle was on the sublime side of the equation. Just gorgeous.

2008 Bodega del Abad Mencía Bierzo Abad Dom Bueno - a great value play

2013 Terrazze dell'Etna Etna Carusu - not such a great value play. A little awkward.

sunnylea57 posted:

... To accompany the 36 lb turkey from a local farm. It went from mindi its own business to the oven within 24 hours.

A quick search indicates that the largest turkey ever recorded was 86 pounds.  The largest turkey ever killed for consumption was 37.6 pounds.  Regardless, yours was one sizeable gobbler.  I would think it would need to spend the better part of a day in the oven.

javachip posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

... To accompany the 36 lb turkey from a local farm. It went from mindi its own business to the oven within 24 hours.

A quick search indicates that the largest turkey ever recorded was 86 pounds.  The largest turkey ever killed for consumption was 37.6 pounds.  Regardless, yours was one sizeable gobbler.  I would think it would need to spend the better part of a day in the oven.

NV Bernard GaucherBrut Prestige - the hard edges of a year ago are smoothing out into a more doughy/yeasty champagne.  Enjoyed by all.

2006 Don Melchor - Modern polished cab. Dark as night, opulent, 'it's so smooooth'. Well made, but no soul.  Half the table loved it. I wasn't in that half.  

2006 Osoyoos Larose Le grand vin - big surprise.  blind i would have probably gone left bank.  Floral nose, tobacco, cedar, some pyrazine.  Mid-weight, red fruit.  Even better with prime rib & roast potoates.  Never would have guessed BC.  It was interesting how polarizing the two '06's were at the table.  If you loved one, you didn't seem to care for the other.

1985 Peter Louis Guntrum Derheimer Doctor Rulander Spatlese - diesel, lychee, guava and all sorts of tropical awesome with a somewhat viscous body and balanced acidity.  Love old reislings.  Paired great with choucroute garnie.

1986 Ch. Carbonnieux blanc.  Waxy, quince, lemon, honey.  Thick creamy texture without the weight.  RobS kind of wine.

Our club had a Long Shadows wine dinner last night where we tasted:

2016 Poet's Leap Riesling
2015 Saggi (Tuscan Blend)
2014 Pirouette (Bordeaux Blend)
2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Feather
2015 Syrah Sequel
2014 Merlot Pedestal and
2014 Chester-Kidder (Red Blend)

I was looking forward to the Feather as I am a Randy Dunn fan, but the best wine last night for me was the Pirouette.  In looking at the specs today I notice that many of these are higher alcohol wines, but none seemed remotely hot last night.  Excellent value here if you ask me.

Add Reply

Likes (0)