Skip to main content

Impromptu dinner with m/m tlv at E&S...

N.V. Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Rosé Reserve
N.V. Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru - excellent...loads of citrus tonight
2004 G. Fluteau Champagne Cuvée Prestige Blanc de Blancs - much better than I remember it
2008 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Home Block - WOTN...wow, this has come a long way in 18 months...absolutely gorgeous.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
- 2009 Amisfield Pinot Noir Central Otaago --


I've been sitting on a couple of these. Think it will develop further, or is it as good as it will get?

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
- 2001 Castelgiocondo (Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino --


I'm picking up some of the 1999 tomorrow. Hope it's as good as your 2001!


Amisfield - I don't think it will improve much, if at all, but the acidity will keep it alive for years.

Castelgiocondo - I bought a case of both the 1999 and 2001, and they have been our go-to Brunello for the last few years, a relative bargain for this quality of wine. You might want to see THIS, or THIS, or THIS. I'm not sure I could pick one vintage over the other. You will not be disappointed with your purchase, assuming good storage.
1988 Sassicaia

A friend showed up at our Friday spot with 1/3 of the bottle left after dinner. How they didn't finish it was beyond me but I'm grateful they didn't. It was surprisingly youthful. The fruit was alive and well. Had a nice touch of mint to it as well. This wine has a long life ahead of it. Not surprised it's considered among the best if not the best they ever produced.
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
1988 Sassicaia

A friend showed up at our Friday spot with 1/3 of the bottle left after dinner. How they didn't finish it was beyond me but I'm grateful they didn't. It was surprisingly youthful. The fruit was alive and well. Had a nice touch of mint to it as well. This wine has a long life ahead of it. Not surprised it's considered among the best if not the best they ever produced.


Are you referring to the '85 or '88?
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
- 2009 Amisfield Pinot Noir Central Otaago --


I've been sitting on a couple of these. Think it will develop further, or is it as good as it will get?

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
- 2001 Castelgiocondo (Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino --


I'm picking up some of the 1999 tomorrow. Hope it's as good as your 2001!


Amisfield - I don't think it will improve much, if at all, but the acidity will keep it alive for years.

Castelgiocondo - I bought a case of both the 1999 and 2001, and they have been our go-to Brunello for the last few years, a relative bargain for this quality of wine. You might want to see THIS, or THIS, or THIS. I'm not sure I could pick one vintage over the other. You will not be disappointed with your purchase, assuming good storage.


Thanks, Seaquam!
Went to the Aberfoyle Mill Mystery Dinner Theater last night to celebrate our daughter's 22nd birthday. Surprised to see that they have some pretty good wines on their list (e.g. multiple vintages of Insignia, Dominus, Sassicaia, etc). Better yet, they have $10 corkage for VQA wines and $15 for imports. And even better, their food was damn good, much better than I was expecting from a dinner-theater.

On to the wines:

2002 Charles Ellner Champagne Brut Seduction
2006 Tawse Robyn's Block Chardonnay
2006 Paul Hobbs Pinot Noir Russian River Valley Lindsay Estate Vineyard (since our daughter's name is Lindsay, so I couldn't resist)
2008 Giovanni Chiappini Liena Cabernet Franc
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
1988 Sassicaia

A friend showed up at our Friday spot with 1/3 of the bottle left after dinner. How they didn't finish it was beyond me but I'm grateful they didn't. It was surprisingly youthful. The fruit was alive and well. Had a nice touch of mint to it as well. This wine has a long life ahead of it. Not surprised it's considered among the best if not the best they ever produced.


Are you referring to the '85 or '88?


While the 85 is generally regarded as the best, my friend who spends a couple weeks in Tuscany, Piedmonte etc every year for the 15 years or so has found that many people there prefer the 88. That's why he hunted some down
'99 usseglio mon aieul with dinner. Good, not great. Wonderful sweetness balanced with moderate tannic acidity. Well proportioned, nice barnyard sauvage component, but not up to the '99 donjon i had a year ago under similar circumstances. Not nearly as good as the '00 or the '01, but still a beautiful wine with lamb. Glad i have more,and that expectations are now adjusted accordingly. Dont see them lasting much longer.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by Beta P:
1999 Calera Jensen

BetaP, how did this show?


Disappointing. It gave little on the nose at first; an hour later, it started to emerge, then by the time of dinner ( approx. 2 hours), it was good, but not up to expectations. In my experience, it should have showed better right out of the bottle. I scored it 87. Hopefully, it is bottle variation as I have another.

3 years ago, we opened a bottle of '80 Jensen and it was stellar, exceeding expectations, consensus 90+. Calera pinots generally age very well.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×