Skip to main content

2004 Le Serre Nuove dell'Ornellaia. Enjoyable, but the tannins demand a few hours of air or better yet, 5 more years hibernation. Saved half the bottle for later this week to see if it settles down.

Edit: Day 2: in balance now, a beautiful wine. Ripe dark red fruits and lengthy finish reminiscent of a young Bdx. Glad to have more of this.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Last night, at a blind tasting with a few of the locals:

Champagnes:

1999 Bollinger Champagne Brut La Grande Annee
Just lovely. I love this style. One taster nailed the vintage. I knew what it was, but I brought it!
2003 Jean Claude Mouzon Champagne Brut Integral Grand Cru Verzenay
Everyone knew it was Champagne, but no one got close, even on vintage. Showed like an older bottle. Large bead. Lovely flavor and aromas. Never would have guessed it was a Blanc de Blancs from color or taste.

Whites:

2002 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Bergerie Chenin Blanc Savennieres
Obviously Chenin. No one guessed vintage or producer. Very nice.
2008 Benzinger Chardonnay Sangiocomo Vineyard Carneros
Most guessed California Chard. Noticeably oaky and buttery. Would be very nice with a cream based seafood dish.

Reds:

1995 Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
Again, universally identified as California Cabernet. Very dense. No one got producer or vintage.
1997 Fattoria di Monsanto Chianti Classico Reserva
Nobody came close on this one. It was added to the tasting by the owner of the restaurant, who joined us for most of the wines. I was further embarasssed, as I have this wine in my cellar and had opened one 4-5 years ago. This wine was just singing and showing no signs of tiring. Lovely.
1982 Chateau La Lagune Haut Medoc
Several had this pegged as Left Bank Bordeaux. Nobody came close on vintage. Everyone guessed younger. This came from an impeccable cellar. I'd love to try this again on its own. Delish.
1998 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato
A majority at the table identified it as Barolo. A couple got the vintage. No one guessed the producer. Right in the sweet spot now. Really good wine.
1994 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Vina Tondonia [Tempranillo (75%), Garnacho (15%), Mazuelo and Graciano (10%)]
Only one taster got this one right. We were all over the place on this one. Very, very good.
2001 Flaccianello Della Pieve, Sangiovese
Decanted and rebottled after 3 hours of air. Still young, but really nice. Several guessed Brunello/Sangiovese. No one guessed it was Flaccianello, and there are several bottles in our cellars. I brought this one, so I nailed it!
2006 Kistler Pinot Noir, Sonoma, Cuvee Catherine
Laydown for varietal and location. No one got the producer or vintage.
2005 Les Cailloux Chateauneuf du Pape, Cuvee Centenaire
Several of us nailed this as a CdP. No one got the producer. This wine is a brute. Really lovely. Maybe my "nose" of the night.
2005 Chateaux Pavie, Saint Emillion Grand Cru Two of us guessed Pavie. A really delicious, non-Bordeaux like bottle.

Dessert:

2005 Domaine des Baumard, Quarts de Chaume (750ml)
Most guessed Loire Chenin. Most of us have a bottle or more of this in our cellars. It seemed a little lighter/thinner/more delicate than my last tasting of this wine. Last bottle of the night. My palate was toast...

Each bottle was tasted and guessed at before we moved to the next. It was very informal, very humbling and a lot of fun. I need to taste blind more often. A very generous bunch of gents, too. The restaurant was great, the food was excellent, service outstanding. I have a long day in the office today, and am not enjoying it too much so far.... Roll Eyes

PH
At a tasting tonight in Chicago presented by the winery:

2012 Chateau Montelena Rose Napa Valley (Zin)
2012 Chateau Montelena Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
2011 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay John Muir Hanna Vineyard
2003 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
2009 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
2009 Chateau Montelena Petite Sirah Napa Valley
2009 Chateau Montelena Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Nspa Valley
Trialto French tasting (wines that stood out for me)
Pierre Gimonnet Fleuron Blanc de Blanc 1er Cru. Soft, smooth, great apertif champagne.
1998 Gosset Celebris Extra Brut, Slight oxidized/rancio/whatever you prefer to call that thing that happens to champagnes as they age. Good now.

2010 Faiveley Burgundies (6). Light vintage but some good ones. Vougeot and Clos des Cortons were great as expected. Beaune Clos de l'Eclu 1er was great for the price point ($60)

Zind H:

2010 Pinot Gris Heimbourg. Luscious and beautiful
2010 Riesling Brand VV GC. Superbly structured and balanced Riesling
2010 VV Vendage Tardiff Gewurtz. Yum. Rose water/Thrills gum and bright fruit. Not to sweet.

All the ZindH were beautifully balanced and showed typical characteristics of the varietals.

Dinner after at Marben w VinChanted, Sunnylea & friends:

2001 Vincent Girardin Chassagne Montrachet La Romanee
Wonderful, light hazelnut, butter.

2006 Ballot-Millet & Fils Pommard Rugiens. The 2006 is open for business, opened up nicely. Fuller than some of the 2010s. Excellent. Earthy, cherry..

1999 Jean Michel Guillier Gevrey Chambertin. WOTN. Mature with forest floor, cherry, strawberry. Surprisingly fresh with bright acidity. Still lots of life.

1998 Muga Rioja Riserva. Still young. Very good. Nice wine to finish up on.
Last night with some excellent Szechuan food, 2001 Fritz Haag Riesling Auslese Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Goldkapsel #12; this is outstanding, light in texture but still intense, citrus, apricot/peach, green apple and honey, great acidity, very long finish. I have one more bottle that I might leave for a year or twenty; this is going to live for many years yet, wonderful Riesling. I think this would show even better with some good cheese rather than the spicy food we had with it.

Tonight, taking to dinner a 2001 Les Cailloux Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Centenaire, which I last had 4 years ago; we'll see whether it's completely open yet.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
quote:

1999 Jamet Cote Rotie

How was it?

Have you had any other vintages?

Very nice wine. I have been drinking Jamet for a very long time and am a fan.
Agree. I'm a big fan of Jamet. I struggle with the amount of oak used by a lot of N. Rhone producers, but Jamet does it right for my palate. Jamet with a little age on it and some grilled meat is a beautiful thing!
Last night at home with friends; I did not take formal notes:

2008 Didier Daguenau Silex - incredible from the get go and it got better with air and added degrees. Toasty element in the citrusy nose. Mouthwatering. 95. I'm guessing this will end up being my WOTM. If it gets surpassed, well then good for me!

2008 Pegau Cuvee Reserve - decanted about 2 hours. Typical old-world aromas but without the brettiness that some get with this vintage. Really nice CdP. 92.

2010 Sojourn RRV Pinot Noir - young but delicious. The nose of strawberries was beautiful. Lively. 93.

2005 Guiraud Sauternes - Incredible bouquet of cream, caramel, marshmallow and pineapple. It lacked some acidity on the palate, though. Not a great showing for this wine. 89-90. Maybe just in a dumb phase?
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
How was the BdM?

Took them both to Goosefoot in Chicago last night (really spectacular food).

The BdM was simply brilliant. A nice mix of youth and age - still some lemon and acidity, but starting to develop the brown notes that I love in old champagne. Want more.

La Jota was a lot more modern than the other ones I've had and still was very youthful, but a very nice wine, just not in the same league as the BdM.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Sounds like a good time billhike. Have you tried the 08 Pur Sang? It is pretty awesome as well.

The only Pur Sang I've had was an 04 or 05 that was on a restaurant list last year. I've not seen them retail - Silex is the one that most retailers carry. The bottle we had last night was generously brought over by a good friend.
2011 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills - wanted to get an early look at this one but it's painfully young right now. Some nice tart fruit on the palate along with some savory notes and loads of acid on the finish. Needs time to come together but the components are there for something interesting.
Last couple of nights, dinner at Le Logge (Siena) and Enoteca Fouripiazza (Greve):

2006 Tere Nere Prephylloxera Etna Rosso
1999 Argiolas Turriga
2006 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis

Ran into the exec chef from Osteria di Passignano having dinner at Enoteca Fouripiazza with his family. Good to see that we both have the same tastes.
This weekend:

2011 Bastianich Colli Orientali del Friuli Friulano – A little flat on the palate and just a touch boring overall.

2011 Weingut Niklas Kerner Alto Adige – This is more like it. Really aromatic and just delicious. This is richer on the palate compared to other Kerner’s I have had recently, but it’s still fresh and lively on the finish. Wonderful pairing with garganelli, mild italian sausage, caramelized red onion and a little dab of fresh pesto.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
2006 Santadi Terre Brune

How was it? I have some of the 2005. I think this is just about the best wine made on Sardinia.

The 06 Terre Brune was drinking very well last night. I had it with Filet Tartare and it paired beautifully. I had the 05 last year and it should also be in prime drinking condition.

But don't agree with your claim to being the best wine from Sardinia. I prefer the 1999 or 2002 (and even 2005) Turriga, but Terre Brune comes close.
This weekend in Toronto at La Forchetta.
2007 Sassicaia
2007 Guisto di Notri
1997 Ornellaia
The first two were from my cellar and were opened in the morning and decanted before serving. The Ornellaia was from the wine list and clearly showed me that while enjoyable young these wines go to another level with time.
I also enjoyed a 2002 Comtes that night and it was spectacular. Banana
Last edited by unclejohn
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
The Ornellaia was from the wine list and clearly showed me that while enjoyable young these wines go to another level with time.

Definitely. An excellent lesson gleaned Wink

I will still sample many wines before they reach maturity as I enjoy the lush fruit and bold flavors of young wine. That's why I buy many bottles of wines like 2007 Sassicaia which is drinking surprisingly well for a wine that historically needs 10-15 years. FYI read the CT notes on this wine.
I also enjoyed a 2002 Comtes that night and it was spectacular Wink
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
And did you enjoy Jaleo?

We enjoyed it a great deal. I guess on Sunday nights they cook an entire pig, and have an 'all things pig' special menu. We had dish after dish of pork fixed so many different ways.

I'm not sure if it is every Sunday or just one Sunday a month, but oh my. Cool

Excellent. Jaleo is pretty high on my hit list the next time I'm forced to visit Vegas.
2011 Sandhi Wines Chardonnay Rita's Crown

Tasty wine, with crisp apple and pear notes. Plenty of acid on the finish making you want to take another sip. Good stuff.

Just started exploring the Santa Barbara area a bit more over the last couple of months. Sandi is run by Rajat Parr, Charles Banks and winemaker Sashi Moorman. The fruit for this wine is at the highest point in the Santa Rita hills at about 500 to 1000 ft. Looking forward to seeing what the Pinots offer from Sandhi.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
From 375. 1995 Vieux Telegraphe. Absolutely everything I love in CdP. Served with grilled lamb chops and some pan fried spuds in duck fat. Mmmmmmm..... Started the evening with a 375 of Billecart Salmon Rose. Still batting 100%........... Cool

PH

LOL....Jesus, even a half bottle works? Think of all the $$ I could have saved. Does it come in a 187?
quote:
From 375. 1995 Vieux Telegraphe. Absolutely everything I love in CdP. Served with grilled lamb chops and some pan fried spuds in duck fat. Mmmmmmm..... Started the evening with a 375 of Billecart Salmon Rose. Still batting 100%........... Cool

PH

Cool

And you blamed work for the delayed response to my email Big Grin
quote:

PH
Sweet! Sounds like a good night, especially the duck fat spuds, and I love me some Vieux Telegraphe.
At dinner last night at Smith & Wollensky in NYC:
1995 Pontet-Canet: by the glass pour (and interestingly, they are using the Coravin to offer these higher end wines by the glass)
2003 Leonetti Cab

Both fantastic . . . a slight preference for the Leonetti but this is more in my strike zone of familiarity. Getting more and more intrigued with the fairly different taste profile as I enjoy more old-world wines
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:

PH
Sweet! Sounds like a good night, especially the duck fat spuds, and I love me some Vieux Telegraphe.

As do I, especially the '95. Wish I had more.
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
At dinner last night at Smith & Wollensky in NYC:
1995 Pontet-Canet: by the glass pour (and interestingly, they are using the Coravin to offer these higher end wines by the glass)
2003 Leonetti Cab

Both fantastic . . . a slight preference for the Leonetti but this is more in my strike zone of familiarity. Getting more and more intrigued with the fairly different taste profile as I enjoy more old-world wines

I think the 95 is one of the first vintages that were directly under Alfred Tesseron's control where he started green-harvesting and going biodynamic. I recently tasted the 09 and 10 from Pontet Canet and they're definitely on the rich and opulent side of Pauillac and for the most part are cheap given their Parker ratings.
At a wine dinner hosted by Continuum winery and Brennan's.

Billecart-Salmon Reserve Brut Champagne: lovely champagne and great way to get the dinner started

2011 Staglin "Salus" Chardonnay: great but young chardonnay. This bottling had a pronounced amount of oak

2010 Staglin Estate Chardonnay: better integrated chardonnay with less oak, more mineral. Very nicely balanced.

2009 Continuum: lovely red wine, elegant, fragrant, delicate

2010 Continuum: as opposed to 2009, which blended graped from outside the state, this is 100% Pritchard Hill. Big, powerful, and young red. Still tannic after 2 hour decant but like all the wines, went well with the food. This one is a real bruiser.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
2007 Tenuta di Ghizzano Veneroso Toscana IGT

how's it coming along? haven't had one since this time last year.

Still young. Futronic introduced me to this wine and has always recommended giving it air beforehand. I thought an hour in a wide-bottom decanter would be enough to round the edges, but tannins from the 30% cab component are still firmly in control. It was only after two more hours in glass that it really started to shine. I'm going to try and keep my hands off the rest of my stash for at least another two years.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
2007 Tenuta di Ghizzano Veneroso Toscana IGT

how's it coming along? haven't had one since this time last year.

Still young. Futronic introduced me to this wine and has always recommended giving it air beforehand. I thought an hour in a wide-bottom decanter would be enough to round the edges, but tannins from the 30% cab component are still firmly in control. It was only after two more hours in glass that it really started to shine. I'm going to try and keep my hands off the rest of my stash for at least another two years.

Thanks. Good to know - I almost pulled one last weekend.
Last night with my monthly blind group.

I'm emulating the note-taking by PH. I jotted down impressions and thoughts prior to each wine being revealed.

We drink the wines one at a time, discuss, then guess vintage, followed by varietal, and if someone cares to venture a guess - producer.

The theme was "Anything from California, ideally with a predominant varietal if it's a blend"

Here goes nothing...

1983 Simi Chardonnay Mendocino / Sonoma (not blind, welcome wine): Incredibly youthful, straw color, just a hint of gold, but not "golden". Showed age, but nowhere near the 30 years it actually had. Very enjoyable.

1979 Monteviña Zin Maderized, chemical nose, a cherry streak not very good. Everyone guessed old Pinot, or oxidized Sonoma cab. Off to a bad start.

1990 Fetzer Petit Sirah Reserve Mendocino Some people got spice, very little tannin. Group was split between Zin and Cab, mostly guessing cab. One person mentioned Petit Sirah. Spectacularly youthful, great nose, a little spice on the back of the palate. Vintage guesses were late 90's to 2001.

1983 Groth Reserve A lot of people were suggesting that if it weren't a restricted tasting, they'd guess French or Italian. I got some dill and eucalyptus that led me to feel it was a 90s Cali cab off the bat. All guesses were Cab, people started guessing 85-87 when we realized it was just opened. Completely defied the vintage. Very good wine by consensus, not my favorite, but good nonetheless.

2006 Tor Rock Grenache Vanilla w a spicy finish, hedonistic, opulent. Not one you being home to mom. Everyone guessed Cali Syrah 2005-2007.

2006 Fleury Napa Pinot Big, complex, opulent, a lot of people guessing Syrah. Guesses were mostly 05-07, my guess was 2001. Once vintage was revealed as 06, i guessed pinot.

1982 Mondavi Reserve Caramel nose, some banana, some curry spices, plum fruit, juicy palate, incense, a little short on the palate, dry, pretty high alcohol, guesses 01, 05, some chocolate on the nose, 03. Extremely youthful. This one blew everybody away once the vintage was revealed. Nobody guesses older than 01. The color was rich and opaque, and there was a lot of fruit showing on the nose and palate. The provenance on this bottle was impeccable, which showed.

1990 Dominus Coffee nose, a lot of alcohol, very sharp on the tongue, spicy big wine, but extremely complex and somehow beautiful. A lot of cassis, a lot of oak. Minor bricking on the edges, but not everyone agreed. Black in the core. Beautiful wine.

1997 Turley Old Vines Zin Sauternes, sweetness on the nose, raisin on back end of palate, some acetone, showing some maderization. Based on the Zin we had earlier in the night, I guessed Zin. GMB guesses Turley Zin.

2003 Waypoint Cab Sonoma Massive, unbelievably young. Extremely dry and chewy tannins, dark dark, loads of vanilla, big wine.

1977 Dow's Silver Jubilee - I stopped taking notes.
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
With the Montreal folks:

1995 Salon
1998 Taittenger
2008 Alain Chavy Les Foliateres
2006 Guigal Ex Voto Ermitage
1973 Vina Vatoria Rioja
1981 Montecillo Rioja
1996 La Mission Haut Brion
1999 Rayas
2001 Domaine De la Charbonniere
2003 Alion
2001 Azelia Barolo
2007 Clavo
1977 Niepoort

Good wines and good company... My WOTNs were the LMHB, Rayas and Salon. Honorable mentions to the Vina Vatoria and Ex Voto.
With the Toronto folks:

1989 Bachelet Puligny-Montrachet Les Grands Champs
1998 Tollot-Beaut Savigny Champ Chevrey
1989 Chateau de Mercey Mercurey
2001 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Vina Tondonia
2001 Il Poggione BdM Riserva Vigna Paganelli
2001 Livio Sassetti BdM
2001 Argiano Solengo Toscana IGT
2006 Marchesi de' Frescobaldi Lamaione Toscana
2001 Giovanni Viberti Barolo Buon Padre
2000 Bricco Rocche Barolo Prapo
2001 Chateau Guiraud Sauternes

The pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/r71ymdz9029qpap/HKjkz0DCEl
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:

I'm emulating the note-taking by PH. I jotted down impressions and thoughts prior to each wine being revealed.

We drink the wines one at a time, discuss, then guess vintage, followed by varietal, and if someone cares to venture a guess - producer.

The theme was "Anything from California, ideally with a predominant varietal if it's a blend"

Here goes nothing...

1983 Simi Chardonnay Mendocino / Sonoma (not blind, welcome wine): Incredibly youthful, straw color, just a hint of gold, but not "golden". Showed age, but nowhere near the 30 years it actually had. Very enjoyable.

1979 Monteviña Zin Maderized, chemical nose, a cherry streak not very good. Everyone guessed old Pinot, or oxidized Sonoma cab. Off to a bad start.

1990 Fetzer Petit Sirah Reserve Mendocino Some people got spice, very little tannin. Group was split between Zin and Cab, mostly guessing cab. One person mentioned Petit Sirah. Spectacularly youthful, great nose, a little spice on the back of the palate. Vintage guesses were late 90's to 2001.

1983 Groth Reserve A lot of people were suggesting that if it weren't a restricted tasting, they'd guess French or Italian. I got some dill and eucalyptus that led me to feel it was a 90s Cali cab off the bat. All guesses were Cab, people started guessing 85-87 when we realized it was just opened. Completely defied the vintage. Very good wine by consensus, not my favorite, but good nonetheless.

2006 Tor Rock Grenache Vanilla w a spicy finish, hedonistic, opulent. Not one you being home to mom. Everyone guessed Cali Syrah 2005-2007.

2006 Fleury Napa Pinot Big, complex, opulent, a lot of people guessing Syrah. Guesses were mostly 05-07, my guess was 2001. Once vintage was revealed as 06, i guessed pinot.

1982 Mondavi Reserve Caramel nose, some banana, some curry spices, plum fruit, juicy palate, incense, a little short on the palate, dry, pretty high alcohol, guesses 01, 05, some chocolate on the nose, 03. Extremely youthful. This one blew everybody away once the vintage was revealed. Nobody guesses older than 01. The color was rich and opaque, and there was a lot of fruit showing on the nose and palate. The provenance on this bottle was impeccable, which showed.

1990 Dominus Coffee nose, a lot of alcohol, very sharp on the tongue, spicy big wine, but extremely complex and somehow beautiful. A lot of cassis, a lot of oak. Minor bricking on the edges, but not everyone agreed. Black in the core. Beautiful wine.

1997 Turley Old Vines Zin Sauternes, sweetness on the nose, raisin on back end of palate, some acetone, showing some maderization. Based on the Zin we had earlier in the night, I guessed Zin. GMB guesses Turley Zin.

2003 Waypoint Cab Sonoma Massive, unbelievably young. Extremely dry and chewy tannins, dark dark, loads of vanilla, big wine.

A typical showing for Zin if you ask me. Big Grin
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:

Here goes nothing...

A typical showing for Zin if you ask me. Big Grin

Agreed. They were certainly the least desirable wines of the evening, IMO.

I'm not a zin-hater, but I'm yet to taste any that wow me. The best I've tried have been okay, overripe table / party wines.
Wednesday Night:

2012 Domaine Landron Amphibolite Muscadet -- Very nice precision
2011 Puffeney Trousseau Cuvee Les Berangeres Arbois -- Lithe finesse
2007 Evesham Wood Puits Sec Pinot Noir -- Nice fruit and acidity
2008 Belle Pente Estate Reserve Pinot Noir -- Silky dark fruit, needs time
2002 Jacques Prieur Beaune Champs Pimonts 1er Cru -- Elegant, co-WOTN
2008 Le Cadeau Rocheux Pinot Noir -- Nice, a bit round and ripe
2006 Mongeard-Mugneret Vosne-Romanee -- Excellent, co-WOTN
2007 Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Pint Noir -- All the pieces are here. Let it sleep for another 5 years.

Tonight:

2005 Ken Wright Angela Pinot Noir -- Ready to go. Very enjoyable.
Last night's dinner with friends:

1994 Domaine Aux Moines Savenneires-Roche Aux Moines

1991 Kalin Cellars Cuvee LR Chardonnay

1964 Chateau Latour

1974 Sterling Vineyards Reserve Cabernet

1986 Leoville Las Cases

1997 Ciacci Piccolomini D'Argona Pianrosso Brunello di Montalcino

2009 Morlet Pinot Noir

1994 M. Chapoutier Hermitage Vin De Paille

My favorites were the 1974 Sterling and 1997 Ciacci. The 1994 M. Chapoutier was drinking very well with a caramel cake. Great night!
Haven't been able to check in here recently, so from memory over the past week or so

2001 Poggio Scalette, Il Carbonaione (excellent with little sign of age. My last one Frown )
2010 Pingus, RdD Flor de Pingus Eek
2003 Gramona, Cava, Gran Reserva Imperial
2010 Littorai, Pinot Noir, Les Larmes
2008 Stonestreet, Chardonnay, Red Point
2009 Deux Amis, Zinfandel, Dry Creek
2012 Goldeneye, Pinot Gris, Anderson Valley
2010 Stonestreet, Chardonnay, Bear Point
2012 Sbragia, Sauvignon Blanc
2012 Seghesio, Pinot Grigio, Keyhole Ranch, RRV
2010 Sequoia Grove, Cabernet Sauvignon, NV

and then there were a few tastings

Stonestreet

2011 Alexander Valley Chardonnay
2010 Broken Road Chardonnay
2010 Gravel Bench Chardonnay
2009 Bear Point Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Monument Ridge, Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Legacy (red blend)
2007 Lost Pine, Merlot

Stryker

2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Estate Alexander Valley
2010 Petit Verdot, Estate AV
2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Rockpile
2009 Red Blend, Rockpile

Roederer Estate

NV Brut
NV Rose
2002 L'Ermitage Brut Smile
2004 L'Ermitage Brut
NV Extra Dry
2010 Chardonnay, Anderson Valley
2009 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
2008 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley

Goldeneye

2012 Vin Gris, Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
2012 Gewurztraminer, Anderson Valley
2011 Migration, Chardonnay, RRV
2011 Migration, Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
2010 Pinot Noir, Estate Anderson Valley
2010 Pinot Noir, Estate, Confluence Vnyd
2010 Pinot Noir, Estate Split Rail Vnyd
2010 Pinot Noir, Estate The Narrows Vnyd
2010 Pinot Noir, Estate Gowan Creek

The Estate pinots were all excellent. Very structured and could use some time.

Breggo

2010 Riesling, Anderson Valley
2011 Gewurztraminer, Ferrington Vnyd Anderson Vally
2010 Chardonnay, Savoy Vnyd, Anderson Vally
2010 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
2011 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
2011 Pinot Noir, Ferrington Vnyd

Ridge (Lytton Springs)

2009 Mazzoni Home Ranch, Alexander Valley
2009 Buchignani Ranch Zinfandel
2011 Ponzo Zinfandel
2011 Pagani Ranch Zinfandel
2004 Geyserville
2011 East Bench Zinfandel
2011 Lytton Springs, Dry Creek
2010 Estate Cabernet, Santa Cruz
2010 Monte Bello Estate Eek

The Monte Bello is massive. Any enamel I had left on my teeth by then was gone after tasting this wine. Decades, not years, and I'm too old for that. I also liked the 04 Geyserville and the Buchignani.

Ramey

2010 Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast
2010 Chardonnay, RRV (definitely better than the Sonoma Coast)
2010 Chardonnay, Ritchie Vnyd
2009 Chardonnay, Hyde Vnyd Napa-Carneros
2010 Syrah, Sonoma Coast
2011 Claret
2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa
2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Pedregal, Oakville

I like his chards better than the reds, but the Pedregal is an excellent wine. $180 is too much though. The Syrah was pretty good too.

Lambert Bridge

2010 Zinfandel, Dry Creek
2010 Zinfandel, Forchini Vnyd Dry Creek
2011 Zinfandel, Maple Vnyds Dry Creek
2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County

Eric Ross

2011 Albarino, Bokisch Vnyd Lodi
2012 Viognier, Silver Image RRV
2011 Pinot Noir, Saralee's Vnyd
2010 Tempranillo, Bokisch Vnyd. Lodi

Never heard of Eric Ross before this day, but the wines were delicious, especially the tempranillo. He had several other white rhone varietals too, but I never got to them.

Pendleton Estate

The last Alexander Valley winery as you go over the hills to Anderson Valley. Mike is a really nice guy who loves to talk about growing and making wine. Clearly very passionate about it.

2010 Cuvee Rose (Mourvedre & Petit Sirah)
2009 Mourvedre
2009 Buzzard Red
2010 Petit Sirah
2009 Celebration Cuvee, Cabernet blend
2009 Late Harvest Petit Sirah

Now I'm drinking water.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve8:

PH and I bought magnums of this on release. I have not thought about opening one.

Then carry on not thinking about it. Your children will enjoy it. Razz

I was just saying I'm was caught off guard by the aging word. The vintages from the '90's have all needed time and are drinking well, but all vintages are different for sure.

I'm hoping PH has opened one already. Wink
A fine evening with the Sunday group...many wines, but the themed blind tasting was:

1995 Mouton Rothschild
1995 Ridge Monte Bello
1995 Pichon Lalande
1995 Haut Brion
1995 Les Forts de Latour
1995 Pape Clement
1995 La Misson Haut Brion
1995 Latour

Too bad something had to finish last...they were all excellent. My lowest score was 93+, and the Pape Clement continues to punch above its class.
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
A fine evening with the Sunday group...many wines, but the themed blind tasting was:

1995 Mouton Rothschild
1995 Ridge Monte Bello
1995 Pichon Lalande
1995 Haut Brion
1995 Les Forts de Latour
1995 Pape Clement
1995 La Misson Haut Brion
1995 Latour

Too bad something had to finish last...they were all excellent. My lowest score was 93+, and the Pape Clement continues to punch above its class.

Which came in last?
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
A fine evening with the Sunday group...many wines, but the themed blind tasting w