Skip to main content

Our wines from last nights off-line. ( tasted blind)

After two bottles of 2011 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc, the wines were tasted in the following order. Wines were tasted over about 1 1/2 hours, then decanters placed on table and enjoyed with dinner.

1989 Guigal La Landonne
1990 Penfolds Grange
1990 Guigal La Mouline
1999 Sine Qua Non Marauder
2004 Saxum Bone Rock
1990 Chave Hemitage
1999 Jamet Cote Rotie

We voted for the top three wines. The top two were unanimous, '90 La Mouline first and '90 Chave second. For third place, we had 6 votes for the '89 La Londonne and two votes for Grange.

A wonderful wine dinner with friends on a rainy night in Dallas.
quote:
Originally posted by Vinyrd Skynyrd:
Left Bank Bordeaux tasted blind last night with my Tuesday night group:
(Edited to list the wines from my favorite to least)

2003 Ch. Lascombes Margaux (my #1)
1989 Ch. Lynch Bages (my #2)
Wow, I would call that an upset. 89 Lynch is very nice. I have had mixed results with Lascombes. Some good and some overly Napa in style.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Yes, but it was the 4th Wednesday of the month.

Gents,

You know I'm very selfish with my free time Friday night - Sunday. That time is reserved for my wife and family with few exceptions.

I MUCH prefer off-lines during the week as do the better restaurants in town. Wink

Jorge and brother, you would have enjoyed our time last night. A friend spent the day preparing the meal which featured dishes of things he killed with his crossbow. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Our wines from last nights off-line. ( tasted blind)

After two bottles of 2011 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc, the wines were tasted in the following order. Wines were tasted over about 1 1/2 hours, then decanters placed on table and enjoyed with dinner.

1989 Guigal La Landonne
1990 Penfolds Grange
1990 Guigal La Mouline
2004 Saxum Bone Rock
1990 Chave Hemitage
1999 Jamet Cote Rotie

We voted for the top three wines. The top two were unanimous, '90 La Mouline first and '90 Chave second. For third place, we had 6 votes for the '89 La Londonne and two votes for Grange.

A wonderful wine dinner with friends on a rainy night in Dallas.
Nice. I love that 90 Chave and the 99 Jamet will be great with time. I bet the Saxum tasted like a blueberry milkshake in that lineup.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
( tasted blind)

1989 Guigal La Landonne
1990 Penfolds Grange
1990 Guigal La Mouline
2004 Saxum Bone Rock
1990 Chave Hemitage
1999 Jamet Cote Rotie

WOW, talk about New World/Old World Eek

... and you know what I think of that! Mad Smile

I will call you today when I know I have 20+ minutes of time.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:

Wow, I would call that an upset. 89 Lynch is very nice. I have had mixed results with Lascombes. Some good and some overly Napa in style.

A surprise to be sure, but blind tasting rarely fails to surprise. My top 2 were very close score-wise (96 and 95, respectively) although obviously very different in taste profile.

The Lascombes probably benefited from being tasted right after the '96 Lafon Rochet (a much more sedate, albeit very good wine) and right before the '05 La Doyenne, which immediately stuck out to me as being right-bank and modern-style (and a very inexpensive daily-drinker type wine to boot).

I know more recent Lascombes have gotten a lot of flak for being non-typical, but this bottle was stunning, and it didn't stick out stylistically the way the Doyenne did immediately following. Yeah it was oaky, but it had the smokehouse/bacon kind of oak that I like as opposed to the vanilla bean/cedar-closet kind of oak that is too raw for my taste.

None of which should imply that I found the Lynch-Bages in any way disappointing or underperforming... if anything it was in even more of a sweet spot for drinking than was the Lascombes (which I suspected might be an '09 opened too soon).
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:

Wow, I would call that an upset. 89 Lynch is very nice. I have had mixed results with Lascombes.

+1 , this is shocking.

I have never had a Lascombes that could carry the wine bag of a Lynch Bages, much less a 2003 Bordeaux. Eek

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.