Skip to main content

A great evening last night with Parcival, jcubed & smartlysauced:
2007 Peter Michael La Carriere Chardonnay
1998 Canon La Gaffeliere
1986 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Anderson's Conn Valley Eloge
2005 Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan Cab

No specific notes - too busy enjoying the conversation & company - but I enjoyed all of them. First two reds were quite different than the last two, that's for sure.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
1998 Canon La Gaffeliere

No specific notes - too busy enjoying the conversation & company - but I enjoyed all of them. First two reds were quite different than the last two, that's for sure.

Sorry to have missed this. Xhoser opened the '05 Hundred Acre Kayli about a year ago when in town and it was sublime. J3, you were probably there last year - how is this developing?

How was the Diamond Creek showing?
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:
quote:
'05 Hundred Acre Kayli

I too had this about 3 months ago, and was very impressed. Certainly not what I expected.

Jorge . . . just posted in the offline section.

Unfortunately the Hundred Acre let me down this time. Way too much alcohol going on (which I have not typically gotten from this).

The Diamond Creek, however, was spectacular -- my vote for WOTN
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
1998 Canon La Gaffeliere

Sorry to have missed this. Xhoser opened the '05 Hundred Acre Kayli about a year ago when in town and it was sublime. J3, you were probably there last year - how is this developing?

How was the Diamond Creek showing?

My quick answer to that -- spectacular wine which could have easily posed as a Bordeaux
Just read your notes.

I wonder if your bottle was off. I certainly expected a youn, high-alcohol, bruiser. However, the '05 Kayli I had was excellent and didn't over-power at all. That's actually what surprised me about it.

Could yours have seen some heat at some point?

I also read your thoughts on the Diamond Creek and aged Bordeaux in general.

I'll offer my 2 Cents

I agree that 80's Cali Cabs have aged beautifully and drink very, very well. Even the early 90's cabs are aging gracefully, and in some cases, beautifully.

However, there was a style shift in the late 90's that persisted for most of the first decade of the 2000's resulting in (and I'm generalizing) "bigger" wines.

I'm not convinced these bigger wines will age the way 80's Dominus, Mondavi, Diamond Creek, Heitz, etc aged.

The '97 vintage, which is a poster-boy of sorts for the modern style, is not drinking very well these days. Sure, there are exceptions and stand-outs, but by and large, it's past its prime.

My point being, don't get too excited about aging the current releases too long. At the very least, check in on them regularly (you own a Coravin, don't you? Wink)

2004's are drinking spectacularly right now, and I'd say they are mostly at their peak, with some still needing some time in the cellar. However, I don't think that in 2031 anyone will be talking about how great the 2004 Diamond Creek is drinking.
quote:
Just read your notes.

I wonder if your bottle was off. I certainly expected a youn, high-alcohol, bruiser. However, the '05 Kayli I had was excellent and didn't over-power at all. That's actually what surprised me about it.

This made me curious enough to check my notes. Although there were others at the dinner where xhoser opened this, there are notes from Allred, Vino Me and myself that all scored this 94-95 points. All seem to think the wine was structured and balanced and drinking beautifully. Perhaps bottle variation?
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Just read your notes.

This made me curious enough to check my notes. Although there were others at the dinner where xhoser opened this, there are notes from Allred, Vino Me and myself that all scored this 94-95 points. All seem to think the wine was structured and balanced and drinking beautifully. Perhaps bottle variation?

I don't think it was necessarily bottle variation. It didn't taste off in any way. The wine had loads of fruit and earth. Which struck me about this wine was how layered and full it was. Yes, it was a little hot but that's what I expect when having a bottle that is that high in ABV.

Next time I would want to try the 2005 Hundred Acre in a line up of bigger cabs instead of a 1998 Canon, 1986 Diamond Creek, and a 2008 Conn Valley Eloge (which reminded me of a big modern pinot in a way).

In the end all of the wines we tried last night at the Chicago Impromptu were great. Thanks for sharing!
quote:
Originally posted by smartlysauced:
I don't think it was necessarily bottle variation. It didn't taste off in any way. The wine had loads of fruit and earth. Which struck me about this wine was how layered and full it was. Yes, it was a little hot but that's what I expect when having a bottle that is that high in ABV.

Next time I would want to try the 2005 Hundred Acre in a line up of bigger cabs instead of a 1998 Canon, 1986 Diamond Creek, and a 2008 Conn Valley Eloge (which reminded me of a big modern pinot in a way).

That's probably a good point. When we tasted the 2005 Hundred Acre, we were drinking it alongside a 2005 Araujo Eisele Vineyard.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.