Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2001 Costanti, Brunello di Montalcino

A little funky at first, but we'll see how it evolves over the evening.

Show any better later on?

Yes, but not what it should have been or I expected. Something not quite right with that bottle. Not showing any signs of age so I'll hold my other two for a couple more years.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
2010 Albert Mann Pinot Gris Furstentum

How was it? I enjoy pretty much everything from this winery, especially their Gewurtztraminers. Had a SGN this summer that was outrageously fine.

Very nice. I had 7 arrive on Friday as well as 5 Albert Mann Gewurztraminer Steingrubler. One was screaming to be open so I had it with our Mahi Mahi with fennel and Gruyere.
In Brooklyn this past weekend (which I loved, btw)

1993 Pahlmeyer (started out light, almost dead. came together after about an hour and wound up being a few people's WOTN)
1994 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace (a bit closed)
1992 Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon (my wotn)
2000 Le Bon Pasteur (very big wine, I was surprised)

Last night w the wife

Blue Nun Riesling.
On Saturday with my wine group.

2008 Guarachi Sonoma Mountain Chardonnay -- not too buttery, pretty good
1999 Ch. Sociando-Mallet Haut Medoc -- solid, probably drink my other 2 bottles over next 2 years
2000 Ch. Faugeres Saint Emillion -- good, and best of the Bordeaux. Not from my cellar, but I have 3 bottles and will probably drink the first in late 2014
2000 Ch. d'Armailhac Pauillac -- improved as night when on but nothing great here
2002 Husic Dos Palmas Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon -- changed throughout the night. Crazy big tobacco element on nose at one point. Good
2006 Pepper Bridge Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon -- solid. Couple that brought this said it was singing upon opening but not quite as good when we got to it.
2007 Medlock-Ames Bell Mountain Ranch, Alexander Valley, Red -- solid.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by kid lightning:
'64 Ausone...delicious.

I'm guessing this was stored at pretty cold temperatures. I thought the 1961 and 1966 were tiring ten years ago.

I've never had the '61, but the '66 seems to be much further along than the '64.
'64 is still singing.
And yes, stored fairly cold, Bern's style (ie: 49 degrees)
Seated and walk-around tastings at the Vintages "Napa Rocks" event last night at the Royal Ontario Museum. Some top notch producers were represented, and in some cases the heads of the wineries were on hand to do the pouring and chatting. I especially enjoyed talking to Rich Frank (Frank Family Vineyards) and Doug Shafer (Shafer).

Wines tasted at opening seminar and seated tasting. We did comparisons of different vintages of the same wine (for the most part):

2005 Blackbird Vineyards Paramour
2010 Blackbird Vineyards Paramour
2006 Kathryn Hall Cab Sauv
2010 Kathryn Hall Cab Sauv
2001 Heitz Cellars Cab Sauv Martha's Vineyard
2007 Heitz Cellars Cab Sauv Trailside
2005 La Jota Vineyards Cab Sauv Howell Mountain
2010 La Jota Vineyards Cab Sauv Howell Mountain
2003 St. Supéry Estate Élu
2010 St. Supéry Estate, Estate Cab Sauv

Wines tastes at walk around tasting (including some repeats from the seated tasting):

2009 Cakebread Benchland Select Cab Sauv
2010 Cliff Lede Stags Leap District Cab Sauv
2010 Cuvaison Pinot Noir
2012 Frank Family Chardonnay
2010 Frank Family Cab Sauv
2009 Frank Family Rutherford Reserve Cab Sauv
2010 Grgich Hills Estate Chardonnay
2010 Grgich Hills Estate Cab Sauv
2009 Hall Cab Sauv - Kathryn Hall
2010 La Jota Howell Mtn. Merlot
2010 La Jota Howell Mtn. Cab Sauv
2009 Lokoya Mount Veeder Cab Sauv
2009 Quintessa
2010 Shafer One Point Five
2008 Silver Oak Cab Sauv
2012 St Supéry Sauvignon Blanc
2010 St Supéry Cab Sauv
2009 Staglin Family Cab Sauv

We missed over half of the producers at the tasting due to lack of time and/or interest.

Finalists for WOTN
2001 Heitz Cellars Martha's Vineyard Cab Sauv
2010 La Jota Howell Mountain Cab Sauv
2003 St Supéry Élu
2008 Silver Oak Cellars Cab Sauv

WOTN Winner
I would have picked the Lokoya if it had been a $150 bottle, but at $445 it's not great value. Instead I'm going with:

2010 La Jota Howell Mountain
Dense ruby colour, moving towards purple. Ripe nose of sweet black fruit, orange peel, graphite. Big mouthful with sweet red and black berries, tobacco leaves, vanilla. The sweetness is balanced with good minerality and wonderfully integrated acidity and round tannins. Excellent concentration without over-extraction. Medium finish.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The DFW Burgundy & Duck off-line ( and Champagne) was last night. Cool

The best of the best showings were as follows.

1996 Krug
NV Jacques Selosse Cuvee Contraste BdN Brut
1996 Bollinger Vieilles Vignes Francaises

1996 Domaine de la Romanee Conti Montrachet
2000 J-F Dury Corton Charlemagne
2000 Doamine d'Auvenay Chevalier Montrachet

1990 Domaine de la Romanee Conti La Tache
1999 Domaine Leroy Chambertin
2002 Domaine Leroy Chambertin ( I was surprised how approachable the wine was)

The only disappointments were the '59 Krug and '88 Domaine Gouges Les Vaucrains were corked. Frown

GlennK, sorry, I just saw your question.

Sushi with Champagne, all things crab with white Burg's and all things duck with red Burg's.
quote:
WOTN Winner
I would have picked the Lokoya if it had been a $150 bottle, but at $445 it's not great value. Instead I'm going with:

My 2 Cents

WOTN shouldn't be driven by price. I'm glad you at least acknowledged it, bc there's a difference between "WOTN" and "Wine that I would most likely buy".

With that being said, I share your sentiment for Lokoya.

My wife and I had a bottle of Lokoya on the evening of our wedding. The 2001 Diamond Mountain. I've always had a soft spot for Diamond Mountain, and the restaurant owner (a friend) gave us a very good price on the bottle.

The following week I was very excited to contact them about purchasing some 01's, and joining their mailing list for future purchases. Once I received the price list, my jaw dropped.

Needless to say, I picked up a handful of 01's from other sources, and have since tried to remove Lokoya from my memory.

Sad, because I would've gladly joined as a lifer if the wine were as high as $175 - $200. I just can't wrap my head around the $350+ price tag.
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:
quote:
WOTN Winner

My 2 Cents

WOTN shouldn't be driven by price. I'm glad you at least acknowledged it, bc there's a difference between "WOTN" and "Wine that I would most likely buy".

With that being said, I share your sentiment for Lokoya.

If the Lokoya had been a clear winner, then I'd agree. But I enjoyed the La Jota as much as the Lokoya – at which point price became a factor in my decision.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2009 Roar Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard
2000 Sloan Cab
Shaferguy, how did the 2000 Sloan show?

Not bad. Certainly no QPR though. I decanted 1 hour. Fair amount of sediment. I gave it a 91.

Last night:
2009 Cobb Pinot Noir Coastlands Vineyard: Diane Cobb

Cobb was better than the Sloan in my opinion.
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
2010 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc this past weekend. Very, very good and did remind me of its big brother in CdP.

I was on their list for a while, and found I enjoyed their whites far more than their reds.

I haven't purchased from their last two releases, maybe I'll go pick up some whites.
I got off the list a couple of years ago as well because I could find the bottles for the same or more often times cheaper at retail. I agree the whites are better, but I do enjoy the Esprit Red with about 8-10 years on it. The other reds have been just ok for me.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
at Mt. Sinai.

Business or holiday?

I assume Rob meant Mt. Sinai hospital here in Toronto, but I may be wrong about that.

Hospital. I wish it was the pink lady with gin and grenadine... Instead it was the one with Maalox and lidocaine. The needed to find out if I was having a heart attack (the ekg wasn't giving great results) or my esophagus. Thankfully it was the latter.
quote:

Hospital. I wish it was the pink lady with gin and grenadine... Instead it was the one with Maalox and lidocaine. The needed to find out if I was having a heart attack (the ekg wasn't giving great results) or my esophagus. Thankfully it was the latter.

Glad to hear was the latter, not the former. Still, that can be nasty. Prevacid has been a major factor in my esophagus healing (from multiple esophageal ulcers), and letting me enjoy fine dinners and wines again.
Finalists for WOTN
2001 Heitz Cellars Martha's Vineyard Cab Sauv
2010 La Jota Howell Mountain Cab Sauv
2003 St Supéry Élu
2008 Silver Oak Cellars Cab Sauv

WOTN Winner

2010 La Jota Howell Mountain
Dense ruby colour, moving towards purple. Ripe nose of sweet black fruit, orange peel, graphite. Big mouthful with sweet red and black berries, tobacco leaves, vanilla. The sweetness is balanced with good minerality and wonderfully integrated acidity and round tannins. Excellent concentration without over-extraction. Medium finish.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting Sunnylea. Sounds like a great night. I didn't try for tickets in time and missed out. Good to hear about the La Jota (not Jonata - thanks CSM!). I've really enjoyed the older ones (1992, 1994) I've have due to the generosity of other forumites, and have some younger ones in the cellar. I'm guessing a release will follow this tasting shortly. Will have to watch for the La Jota.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:

Thanks for posting Sunnylea. Sounds like a great night. I didn't try for tickets in time and missed out. Good to hear about the La Jota (not Jonata - thanks CSM!). I've really enjoyed the older ones (1992, 1994) I've have due to the generosity of other forumites, and have some younger ones in the cellar. I'm guessing a release will follow this tasting shortly. Will have to watch for the La Jota.

Sadly, the La Jota was only available for ordering last night. It won't be a regular release.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:

Glad to hear was the latter, not the former. Still, that can be nasty. Prevacid has been a major factor in my esophagus healing (from multiple esophageal ulcers), and letting me enjoy fine dinners and wines again.

Good to hear it wasn't something more major. Was on prevacid for a while and have been living off Nexium for the last few years...
Last night out for dinner with friends, wines that I brought:

NV Phillipe Prie Brut Tradition Champagne - best showing and last bottle of the 4-pack I bought. Fine bead, lively balance of acidity and fruit. Gentle buscuit/bread tones. Good start to the evening.

2011 Chante Cigale CdP Blanc - corked. Mad It probably would have paired nicely with the risotto app that had green onions, chorizo and a scallop. Oh well.

2006 Stefania Santa Cruz Cab - I think this may have been my favorite bottle from Paul and Stef yet. Gorgeous black fruit, some menthol and eucalyptus notes, and after opening up it picked up a bit of leather/earth. I offered a taste to our server and he mentioned what I had been thinking: it reminded him (and me) a little of Heitz Martha's. Just fantastic from the get-go, and it got better. I'd give it 94 and would guess it's in the prime window right now.
Last night w OTW, Vinojoe, VinChanted et al,

Gaston Chiquet Brut Champagne Spécial Club 2004

2009 Wegeler Bernasteler Doctor

2007 Hartford Court Chardonnay Russian River Valley, Four Hearts Vineyards

2002 Bouchard Beaune Grèves Vigne de L'Enfant Jesus

2002 Remoissenet Richbourg

1990 Pichon Baron

1995 Latour a Pomerol

1996 Moulin Touchais

All wines were great. The Moulin Touchais was the surprise hit, perfectly balanced and paired well with a not-too sweet cheesecake.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.