Skip to main content

2009 wm fever 1er cru montmains - sharp like a laser
2011 lafage cuvée centenarie - nice. Good QPR for n. Rhone styled languedoc blend. A little hot on the back end.
2006 boekenhoutskloof the chocolate block - crowd fave
2007 el principal andetelmo - good, but way too young, not sure it's worth the price
2010 el Nido Clio - I guessed Caymus. Or maybe silver oak.

Interesting series of thanksgiving dinners. As always.
Last night at home with DanTheRhoneFan and our better halves - just impressions as I didn't take formal notes.

2011 Qupe Marsanne - very nice. It had the bigger texture and flavor expected from this grape but still felt lively. Good balance. 21% Roussane.

2004 Citile di Sopra BdM, decanted - dark and dense, inky with black fruits. Nice old-world leather aromas. Still needs some time, but not bad now if you have more than one and want to check in.

2007 Font de Michelle CDP - I had two bottles, and Allred's recent CT note gave me the itch to give one a try. Decanted over 2 hours. Smoke and roasted meat dominated when first opened, but this came around very nicely with time. You can really tell the ripe vintage, and some traditional CdP fans may not be crazy about it. I loved it. It retained some iodine aromas along with crushed berries. Nice acidity made it pair well with lasagna that had spicy Italian sausage.

1999 Nicolas Feuillate Palmes D'Or Brut Champagne - vibrant gold slightly on the lighter side. Very small bubbles. Smooth and a little creamy with lemon zest, ginger and chalk. I was hoping for a more full-bodied Champagne. This was nice but more on the elegant side. Not a great value, but tasty and the 4 of us really enjoyed it. A great night with close friends.
A small showing (only 4) at my Tuesday night group to taste Tempranillo-based reds:

2002 Flor de Pingus - rather barnyardy with tart acidity;
2008 Raiza Tempranillo Rioja Crianza - an easy-drinking, charming, fruit-forward QPR;
1997 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva - WOTN, drinking great w/fully integrated tannins & acidity and very exotic, attractive perfume showing the American oak influence;
2005 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Crianza Vina Cubillo; even at 8YO still a baby whose aromas take time to emerge into a solid, well-balanced red (albeit far less distinctive than LdH's higher-tier offerings).

Some side-bar wines also present:
2009 Mulderbosch Cab Sauv Rose;
2003 Clayhouse Zinfandel Paso Robles;
2006 Seghesio Zinfandel Sonoma Old Vine.
Guigal tasting at FWR last night

2006 La Doriane still great – time to reassess drinking window on La Doriane.
2007 Ex Voto Ermitage Blanc – bigger and better but pricey
2006 D’Ampuis – good
2008 La Mouline – my choise of the La La’s. Very fragrant, complex, violets, incense, remarkable for an ‘off vintage’ . Recommend
2008 La Turque – similar to Mouline, but I preferred the Moulin by a nod.
2008 La Landonne – the biggest of the 3 (all Syrah) but lacking the fragrant nose, and complexity of the other two.

The whites were terrific. The oak on the white Ex Voto was prominent but it's a great wine with a long life still ahead.

The reds were very well balanced and didn't show the oak, which was a surprise given the lengthy barrel ageing. The La La's were good enough to make me reconsider buying some in an 'off' vintage like 2008.

The bonus was that there were only seven of us attending so there were lots of refills until all was gone! Banana Banana
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
The La La's were good enough to make me reconsider buying some in an 'off' vintage like 2008.

Nice evening. Never had a truly 'off' vintage of the LaLa's....awesome wines

Yes, KSC, that's precisely what I learned from this tasting: never a truly 'off' vintage with those wines.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.