Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
2003 Giuseppe Quintarelli Valpolicella Classico Superiore

Was going to ask how you liked this but then saw your CT note - well done. I have one of these but have no idea what to pair with. Or should it be drunk on its own, before or after a meal?

I'm not the best person to ask about food pairings. I'm admittedly a novice. But for what it's worth, I thought it drank equally beautifully on its own before dinner and with our BBQed rib steak. The Quintarelli has enough substance to stand up next to the steak, and I thought the sweet ripe cherry worked well with the savoury red meat.

BTW, I decanted it for an hour, but did a taste as soon as I popped it, and it was wide open right out of the bottle. But I think the decant softened the initial sugar and brought out the other notes.

I'll be interested to hear your experience.
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgerunfast:
At a spectacular new restaurant with fantastic company, amounting to a perfect evening, we had

2004 Pierre Peters Cuvee Speciale Les Chetillons
2010 Coche-Dury Bourgone (wow)
1997 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace (drinking perfectly right now)

Good company trumps all, though. What a night.
What's the restaurant?
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1997 Chapoutier La Mordoree
2001 Petrolo Galatrona

Thoughts on these, particularly the Chapoutier?

AML, the Chapoutier is definitely showing its age with mature notes and lacking fruit and any smokiness on the nose, also quite thin on the palate. I'd say drink up based on this bottle.

The Galatrona was in a great spot. Dark fruit, olives, lush mouthfeel, long finish.
- 2010 Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino. Had a half glass of this at a local shop, and immediately grabbed a bottle. Another fantastic QPR, and I'll probably grab some more. Great structure, velvety, rustic profile. An easy (90) for me.

- 2001 Baron de Ley Rioja Gran Reserva. Decent stuff, but at its price, I'll stick to Lopez de Heredia & CVNE.
Hosted the 4th Saturday tasting group last night. All wines tasted blind.

Warm up whites:
2012 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica
2011 Celler Cal Pla Priorat Blanco Mas d'en Compte
2012 Domaine Lafage Côtes du Roussillon Cuvée Centenaire
2010 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Clisson

Reds (in order of tasting):
1997 Flowers Pinot Noir Moon Select Camp Meeting Ridge
1996 Flowers Pinot Noir Moon Select Camp Meeting Ridge
2010 Mount Eden Vineyards Pinot Noir Estate Bottled
2008 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta
2002 Torbreck Shiraz The Struie
2005 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain
2008 Robert Biale Petite Sirah Royal Punishers
2011 Domaine Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30
2007 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain
2004 Iron Horse Vineyards Bdx-3 T Bar T Vineyard

Non blind dinner wines:
2010 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon (Non Estate) Napa Valley
2003 Château d'Arche

The standouts for me were the '10 Mt. Eden (needs at least 5 years), '96 Flowers (tasted years younger than it's '97 sibling), '05 Pine Ridge and the '10 Montelena (drinking well right now).
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
It's my wife's b-day tomorrow so we are heading out for a quite dinner tonight to celebrate and I'm bringing a birth year wine for her:

1980 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia. Hope it shows well!
This wine was f'ing awesome last night and my woty so far by a wide margin. Exactly what you want in an aged Tondonia and a most excellent pairing with a beautiful grass fed prime ribeye. Mrs. glennk was very happy with her birth year wine. Now I just have to go find more. Cool
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
1997 Chapoutier La Mordoree
2001 Petrolo Galatrona

Thoughts on these, particularly the Chapoutier?

AML, the Chapoutier is definitely showing its age with mature notes and lacking fruit and any smokiness on the nose, also quite thin on the palate. I'd say drink up based on this bottle.

The Galatrona was in a great spot. Dark fruit, olives, lush mouthfeel, long finish.

Thank you for your thoughts. I absolutely adore the '91 La Mordoree, but generally steer clear of other vintages. Based on your notes, I will certainly avoid this one too.

Never had a Galatrona with some age on it, so perhaps I will seek one out.
2001 Dead Arm- evolving beautifully
2001 Alkooki- Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Merlot

Both went well with the mustard, garlic encrusted rack of lamb.

2011 Pahlmeyer Chardonnay- with Farfalle with arugula pesto and shrimp- Yummy

1998 Dom Perignon with salted, roasted cashews.

1995 Royal Tokaj 5 Puttonya with lemon tart on shortbread for dessert.

A lovely evening with great friends.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Had an impromptu wine dinner with neighbors.

The wines were served blind in decanters by the restaurant and then judged blind.

1997 Masseto
1998 Redigaffi
1998 La Mondotte
2001 Le Pin

Not hard to see what Larry wanted as a theme. Big Grin

A fun evening with friends.

And WOTN?

Oops, sorry. I failed to mention, the wines are listed in order of preference. Our group was unanimous in their votes.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I'd be disappointed if I brought the Le Pin and it finished 4th. Was it that it just wasn't ready, or it didn't have the stuffing to be great? I have some '02 Le Pin and Petrus I'm sitting on and not sure when to unleash. It was an off vintage and very well might drink better young. Comments from anyone?

I don't have any experience with '02 Le Pin or Petrus, but I have been drinking alot of 2002 Bordeaux in the last few months. I would definitely agree that they drink better young, most of the bottles that I have tasted just didn't seem to have the stuffing to improve much more with age. The concentration just wasnt there.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I'd be disappointed if I brought the Le Pin and it finished 4th. Was it that it just wasn't ready, or it didn't have the stuffing to be great? I have some '02 Le Pin and Petrus I'm sitting on and not sure when to unleash. It was an off vintage and very well might drink better young. Comments from anyone?

Bro, I have always found Le Pin to be very inconsistent. While I have had a few stunning bottles, I have also had too many of their wines underperform.

There was pretty stiff competition on this night. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.