Skip to main content

Arguably the best French restaurant in Vancouver, Le Crocodile, is having a 25th anniversary dinner tomorrow. The chef of the exceptional Michelin 3☆ restaurant Au Crocodile in Strasbourg (after which our local place named itself) is doing the cooking this weekend as part of their celebration, and after a couple weeks on the waiting list, I just found out we got in. I've stopped eating until we get there; I have a reasonable understanding of French, but I had to google more than a couple of items to find out what they are. Here's the menu:

Eveil du Palais
Creme de persil, beignet d’escargots
Mousseline de Petits Pois à l’emulsion de Tomate et Poivron Rouge
Riesling, Hugel, Alsace, France, 2006

Queue de Homard Salade d’Herbes Façon Brasserie Parisienne
Chardonnay, Mission Hill, "Reserve", Okanagan Valley, BC, 2006

Filet de Mérou au Champagne Brut et Pousses d’Epinard
Bourgogne, Jean Latour-Labille & Fils, Burgundy, France, 2006

Caille Farçie au Foie-Gras, Sauce Pinot Noir
et

Cotelette de Caribou, Compote de Racines au Gingembre
Coteaux du Languedoc, Château Saint Martin “De la Garrigue”, Southern France, 2005

Sorbet Mirabelle

Feuilletè aux Figues, Sirop d’Erable au Thé Parfumé
Parfait Glacé, Griottines au Kirsh, Coquille de Chocolat Bitter
Colheita Port, Kopke, Portugal, 1997

I'm not so keen on the wine pairings, so we'll find other things on their list once I know better exactly what we're eating. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Went to a pumpkin carving party for the boys last night at a neighbors. He made three different chilis. Mild, with jalapeno, and with habanero. And then he had some Nathan's dogs on the grill. I went with the habanero and tossed a dog into it. Chili two nights in a row.... Smile

Have you been taking your Prevacid?
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Pizza with mushrooms and sausage (had left over mushrooms and sausage from the night before). Paired with H2O. Thrilling I know…

“What is the soup du jour?"...It’s the soup of the day..."Mmmm, that sounds good, I’ll have that”

"Feels pretty good mingling with these laid-back country folks, eh Harry? I like it a lot."
Went to a local wine bar called the Wine Gallery last night. I had pork and leek sausage with mash and Mrs. Glennk went for the roast chicken with mash and rocket salad. We scored the 2006 Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône of the list for the equivalent of $15 USD. After dinner, we popped into our local pub for a couple of pints. Solid end to the work week.
At the Thursday evening Mas d'en Gil celebration in the private dining room of Insieme in NYC:

Reception wine:

2007 Mas d'en Gil Coma Alta, the first vintage of this new wine, 30% Viognier, 70% Garnacha Blanca

1st course:

Octopus Carpaccio, Sofrito Croudo, Fennel, Cannelini Runner Beans, and Red Wine Vinaigrette

2004 Coma Blanca

2nd course:

Ribollita, Tuscan Vegetable Soup with Black Cabbage, Borlotti Beans, and Parmesan

2002 Coma Vella

3rd cousre:

Spaghetti All" Amatriciana, Spaghetti with Guanciale, Tomatoes, Pepperoncini, and Smoked Fiore Sardo

2000 Clos Fonta
2001 Clos Fonta
2002 Clos Fonta

4th course:

Arista di Maiale Arrosto con Fagioli, Bev Eggleston's Roasted Pork Loin with Beans, Sage, and Garlic

2003 Clos Fonta
2004 Clos Fonta

Meditation:

2004 Gran Buig, a red produced only in special vintages. This is the only Gran Buig since the 1998.

Dessert:

Torta de Nemesis, Flourless Chocolate Cake with Coffee Gelato

2007 Nus, a new dessert wine produced as Mas d'en Gil from their latest hanging Garnacha on the estate

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.