NV Champagnes

How can I find out when a champagne was released if there's no year or any other distinguishing mark on the bottle? I look up a champagne and there are several Wine Spectator listings for the NV yet there's nothing on the label indicating anything.
Original Post
in most cases, you cannot.

there's a push by consumers for Champagne houses to print a disgorgement date on their labels, but there's a lot of resistance because it would create differentiation, which is exactly what Champagne houses are trying to avoid with an NV bottle.

some smaller (farmer fizz) producers will state the disgorgement date, but it usually doesn't happen.
I get the differentiation aspect of it, but isn't it their job to maintain the house style and make the various disgorgement undistinguishable from each other?

I'm more concerned about being sold something 12 yrs old that was meant to be drank a year or two after release? I guess having a negative impression of the product is not something they are worried about.
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
I get the differentiation aspect of it, but isn't it their job to maintain the house style and make the various disgorgement undistinguishable from each other?

I'm more concerned about being sold something 12 yrs old that was meant to be drank a year or two after release? I guess having a negative impression of the product is not something they are worried about.

I certainly agree with you. I wish they were required.
I have found, personally, that many NV bottlings hold very well for several years, and some even get better with some cellar time. So if the bottle of NV was stored in a reasonably safe way--on the shelf in an air-conditioned shop at least, you shouldn't be stuck with a bad bottle due to age.
quote:
Originally posted by lindberg_Carl:
I think nv can hold up for about 2-3 yers fine. Any longer and i think it turns into something different. I think nv is meant to be drunk sooner rather than later. Vintage is meant to be aged more in my mind.

Completely disagree.
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
so you too would like to know which NV bottles are aged vs youthful.

Sounds unanimous that adding disgorgement dates would be beneficial the the consumer for a variety or reasons.

i dont personally care

I acutally will buy nv champers and literally just keep them int he cellar.

the nv veuve i opened yesterday was sitting in there for 5 years before i popped it.

it was slightly nutty, hints of sweetness, and none of the initial tartness.

Add Reply

Likes (0)