November. What's for dinner?

At Papillon on Front last night: steak tartare. While it was enjoyable, the pork cheeks ordered by a table-mate were just amazing.

BTW, after some initial confusion, it was confirmed that as of last week, Papillon now allows BYOW with a $25 corkage. I would not rule this place out as a potential venue for a future TWC event.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Rack of lamb and a mesclun/goat cheese salad with a 2008 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles

Wow, just had this wine at our annual tasting for members at the club and this wine was poured for only certain people from under the table. Awesome wine from Priorat and Carignane, Grenache and Syrah. My wine rep said it was too young but boy it was showing well to me. We can get it for $32 Wholesale so I was thinking about putting it on by the glass as a feature for $15 a glass. Curious on your thoughts of the wine as far as aging potential and where the wine is at now for you.
Shin Thompson is back for six dinners between now and 12/1 at the old Bonsoiree space, before he opens his own place in February. The menu includes some of the Bonsoiree classics, but also a couple of preview dishes from the new place. Tonight's the first of the six. We're going with friends from our tasting group, but I know M/M dantherhonefan will be there as well. The menu:

Amuse of Sashimi

Duck Confit & Mushroom Duxelle cooked with Cognac, 63 Degree Farm Egg, Toast Points, Black Truffle, Fines Herbs

Scallop Motoyaki!

Kabocha Squash and Fuji Apple Soup, Roasted Corn, Seared Trout, Lobster Oil, Crispy Leeks

Crispy Skin Suzuki, Japanese Scallion Soy Beurre Blanc, Pearls of Sweet Potato & Grilled Asparagus

60 Hour “Zabuton” Wagyu Short Rib, Pommes Frites with Nori Dust and Sea Salt, Karashi “Punch in the Face” Mustard, Chasseur Sauce

Matcha Cake Napoleon, Chocolate Sauce and Macerated Fresh Berries
Last night I cheated a bit and bought a jar of Rao’s marinara sauce and added some sweet Italian sausage from the local butcher. Tossed with some campanelle pasta and good parmigiano and a tasty dinner was ready in less than 30 mins. The Rao’s sauce was actually pretty good.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
It's all simple proteins and veggies for the next five weeks as I focus on dropping a few through dietary Ketosis.

I'd add a sad face emoticon but I got here by enjoying the stuff I need to avoid for a while, so I guess it all balances out.

Same here, VB, but they sure are easier to find than lose.
quote:
Don't tell me you only drank water with that fine meal!

In addition to water we had:

N.V. Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut

1983 Ridge Petite Sirah

1999 Canon La-Gaffeliere

25 yr. single malt don't remember which one but was good.
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
quote:
Don't tell me you only drank water with that fine meal!

In addition to water we had:

N.V. Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut

1983 Ridge Petite Sirah

1999 Canon La-Gaffeliere

25 yr. single malt don't remember which one but was good.

That's better!
Last night, a tapas-style feast at Supermarket in Kensington (Toronto):
Edamame
Crispy calamari
Laotion spring rolls
Thai green mango salad with tiger shrimp (best dish hands down)
Sui mai
Shrimp & crab wonton tacos (also nice)
Grilled jerk pork with scotch bonnet pepper dip (pork a tad well done but oh that dip...)

Food was generally good but not so good I'll be rushing back anytime soon.
This bottle was not at all over-ripe and flabby. Definitely drinkable after decanting, but still very young. No fruit bomb but no secondary characterics flagrant. Old World astringence but bright fruit and acidity in balance. I'm guessing this will be way better in 5 or even 10 years. It's a rare Beaucastel from a decent or better vintage that shows it's best before age 15.
tonight... likely take out
tomorrow... seared tuna on cucumber rounds, flatbread with pear, manchego and arugala, salad with roast asparagus, egg and blue cheese, sformato with sauteed mushrooms, yellowtail with caramelized onions and red wine reduction, roasted broccoli and a triple chocolate tart.

Add Reply

Likes (0)