Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@brucehayes posted:

Stratus Tannat 2013.  Was unaware, until I visited the winery in the summer of 2018, that anyone in Ontario was growing Tannat.

Seems to be the hot new grape.  Dang near everybody we recently visited in the Texas Hill Country is bottling it (a lot is grown in the Texas High Plains near Lubbock).  Plus I noticed Tablas Creek is bottling it as a single varietal so I tossed a couple of bottles in my recent Espirit order to give theirs a test run.

@sunnylea57 posted:

Ugh. That’s pretty much how I felt about the 04 Percristina. I have more bottles of both the 04 Percristina and 04 Ginestra.

I can't recall drinking a Clerico Barolo from the 2004 vintage.  Do the two of you you think that your reaction is particular to that vintage or is it a larger thing?  I've always had a problem with the amount of oak in these wines but some vintages/bottlings seem to be worse than others.

Last edited by otw
@otw posted:

I can't recall drinking a Clerico Barolo from the 2004 vintage.  Do the two of you you think that your reaction is particular to that vintage or is it a larger thing?  I've always had a problem with the amount of oak in these wines but some vintages/bottlings seem to be worse than others.

I checked my notes on Clericos I’ve opened over the past 3 years:

Two 2004 Percristina
2003 Ginestra
2001 Ginestra
2001 Pajana

In every case the wines were brutish and the wood tannins overwhelmed the fruit. Surprisingly (considering the vintage) the 2003 showed the best. Still very tannic but approachable after 3+ hours in the decanter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.